PC Community Thread

stepee

Should I be able to swap the operating system hard drives between my current pc and my new one - so I get my same configuration and my Dad gets the new operating system they will set up? Is windows smart enough to do that and just get the correct drivers?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Should I be able to swap the operating system hard drives between my current pc and my new one - so I get my same configuration and my Dad gets the new operating system they will set up? Is windows smart enough to do that and just get the correct drivers?

It will be an OEM version of Windows (I expect) on your new PC.  Which is tied to the MB -- I know that some people have managed to convince MS to allow an OEM key to be used on a new computer. 

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It will be an OEM version of Windows (I expect) on your new PC.  Which is tied to the MB -- I know that some people have managed to convince MS to allow an OEM key to be used on a new computer. 

Ah good point! I think I’ll just not bother, it’s just all the game launchers I need to install again anyway and most of my games are on my nvmes so I shouldn’t have to redownload those. Hype I have 4 m2 slots now so I can add two more reasonably priced 2tb nvme drives, I spend way too much time cleaning the fridge.

Ugh they are telling me they can’t process the order as a rush and I have to accept that or cancel the order. Idk on one hand nobody will probably do it quicker and the cpu is out of stock everywhere. On the other hand they are saying 2-4 weeks which I’m afraid will end up being 6-7 weeks which is what their support warns you it could take as long as when you click on it; which is why I did express. 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeI am incredibly disappointed you didn’t get that tank case I recommended a few weeks ago :sadsun:

Honestly if it was on the case list…

And so yeah cyberpowerpc just said that they will remove the instant ship fee and if it takes too long I can just cancel and they haven’t charged yet. So I’m just keeping it since the cpu is sold out and I really want the exact build I did and it’s price was close enough to separate parts and self building for me.

Heck if I get it by April I’ll be happy I think, I just really hope it’s in two weeks and really really hope it’s not beyond four weeks. I saw ibuypower has 7950x3d now to select but it also gives a 1 week extra lead time which would put it in the same realm anyway but the price of almost the same build but actually a worse case since they didn’t have the one I wanted was like $500 more! I don’t get how they are marking up that high over the parts that’s just obscene.

So yeah, really happy with my order if it comes through so I’m gonna try to be patient for once and just wait for it! I also liked how they were at least responsive and the guy said they will prep it for my 4090 with the cables to plug the connector in wired out.

nvme pricing has gotten a bit better huh? 2tb are pretty darn affordable now and it looks like maybe by the end of the year 4tb nvme will be affordable which will probably solve my woes with hard drive space this gen at that time! I saw a crucial 4tb 5000mbps for $260, can’t be long until 7000mpbs is like $250!

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

L3eWeYoT5dmct9i7AAfg8H-1200-80.gif

Quieter.  Yes - at max 37 vs 40 DB.  That's getting to the level that a human might not be able to tell the difference.

And cooler:

The Corsair H170i Elite Capellix is an excellent performer that provides maximum cooling capability (at least, outside of a custom loop), provided you can fit it into your build and budget. With its massive 420 (3x140mm) radiator, this cooler requires careful planning to account for compatibility. It certainly makes a strong argument for being the choice for high end builds featuring high core counts and strong overclocks.

The H170i Elite Capellix is also the best cooler we’ve tested to-date when it comes to taming our high-end overclocked Threadripper 2990WX and Intel i9-10850k. There’s no shortage of cooling performance here. It’s just a matter of whether you need this much or not, and if the radiator will fit in your case.

I guess I’m just missing how this would be pointless for an AIO and only make sense for a custom loop. It’s just 3x140mm vs 3x120mm. It’s not a 480 or 520mm radiator.

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

And cooler:

I guess I’m just missing how this would be pointless for an AIO and only make sense for a custom loop. It’s just 3x140mm vs 3x120mm. It’s not a 480 or 520mm radiator.

A 360 is pretty much overkill for a CPU, on a custom loop you could use a 420 to cool the GPU (and PCIe 5.0 m.2 if you're so inclined).

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

A 360 is pretty much overkill for a CPU, on a custom loop you could use a 420 to cool the GPU (and PCIe 5.0 m.2 if you're so inclined).

The 5950x/x3D and 13900k kind of disagree with either being overkill unless you want your fans over 50% any time you’re running anything mildly intensive. If you’re running a non-top of the line CPU that doesn’t run as hot, and/or aren’t overclocking, then yea, you shouldn’t be getting a top of the line cooler either.

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

So apparently you need a special mounting bracket for coolers with LGA1700 motherboards, are these universal or do I have to wait for NZXT customer service (on back order)

The AIO didn’t come with an LGA1700 bracket?  Their website says anything manufactured after late November 2021 has one. 

RTX Video Enhancement/Super Resolution is pretty damn good:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448

Make sure you enable this in the nVidia Control Panel. Makes a noticeable difference, even with Youtube, if it's less than 1080p. There's a difference at 1080p as well (when on a 4k display) but it's not as noticeable. Very good use of RTX AI.

I put the control panel on my second monitor, full-sized a youtube video on my 4k monitor, forced 480p for video quality and flipped super resolution off and on and the difference was definitely there when I had it on vs off.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

RTX Video Enhancement/Super Resolution is pretty damn good:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448

Make sure you enable this in the nVidia Control Panel. Makes a noticeable difference, even with Youtube, if it's less than 1080p. There's a difference at 1080p as well (when on a 4k display) but it's not as noticeable. Very good use of RTX AI.

I put the control panel on my second monitor, full-sized a youtube video on my 4k monitor, forced 480p for video quality and flipped super resolution off and on and the difference was definitely there when I had it on vs off.

how could a difference be there when it’s on but not when it’s off, a difference would have to exist in either state or there would be no difference…

:troll:

I haven't read a ton so far, but it looks like AMD might have nailed it with the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. I'm excited to see more reviews, but Tom's Hardware has named it the king. I'm looking forward to seeing Linus Tech Tips do testing on it. I imagine that will be happening soon. 

LMH2Zy5QwLUVx4HXe8YM4n-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

AMD takes a bite out of Raptor Lake.

I would love to see the manufacturing process for this stuff. I know they keep it extremely top secret, and I wouldn't understand it anyway, but I'd love to see how these chipsets made. Everything beyond measured performance is basically way beyond my understanding of tech, but im shocked that they continually push more cores and power into smaller chips at the rate they seem to be doing. 

I also wonder what percentage come off the assembly line not working, and how much that drives up the cost of these things?

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I haven't read a ton so far, but it looks like AMD might have nailed it with the Ryzen 9 7950X3D. I'm excited to see more reviews, but Tom's Hardware has named it the king. I'm looking forward to seeing Linus Tech Tips do testing on it. I imagine that will be happening soon. 

LMH2Zy5QwLUVx4HXe8YM4n-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

AMD takes a bite out of Raptor Lake.

I would love to see the manufacturing process for this stuff. I know they keep it extremely top secret, and I wouldn't understand it anyway, but I'd love to see how these chipsets made. Everything beyond measured performance is basically way beyond my understanding of tech, but im shocked that they continually push more cores and power into smaller chips at the rate they seem to be doing. 

I also wonder what percentage come off the assembly line not working, and how much that drives up the cost of these things?

oh jeeze don’t tease me, hopefully mine ships soon - I saw some Hogsmeade benchmark that got my super wet