Alien: Romulus

Looks like Alien: Romulus being directed by Fede Alvarez starts production next month. Has anybody else heard about this?

alien-tv-series-update-noah-hawley.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

The Alien movie being directed by Fede Alvarez is going by the title Alien: Romulus and starts filming in February.

Hopefully it's good... :pray:

I couldn't tell from the article - is this a sequel to Prometheus and Alien: Covenant? I'm assuming so, but I'm surprised Ridley Scott is letting someone else do it since that seemed to be his thing but I'm down in letting other writers and directors do some Alien movies again. Director Fede Alvarez (and his frequent co-writer Rodo Sayagues) I could see doing a good job but it's no guarantee. Their Evil Dead remake of The Evil Dead was pretty solid and I liked Don't Breathe a good bit but The Girl in the Spider's Web was pretty meh and Don't Breathe 2, while Rodo directed instead of Fede Alvarez, they still co-wrote it together as usual and I haven't heard good things about that one. But they know horror which works for Alien. 

I'm more interested in Noah Hawley's (Fargo, Legion) upcoming Alien TV show by comparison though.

MSDALIE_EC009.jpg?w=780
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

The film will be based on an original idea from Álvarez, who is "a rabid fan of the franchise"

I read Ridley Scott approved of the script and gave his blessing. Even calling him months after pitching his movie idea too Scott.

58 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I might be in the minority here, but I actually liked Covenant and was hoping he would cap off the trilogy. :shrug: 

I'm one of the ones who also likes Prometheus and Covenant. Any time the movies chose to get artsy and weird is when they got really good for me. Very exploratory and strange films with horror elements. People focus too much on the stupid acting characters in both movies but that's not really the substance of either film. They are also beautifully designed, shot, and scored.

I loved Prometheus even if people are obsessed with pointing out all of the idiotic decisions the characters make. None of that stuff really bothers, tbh.

Now Covenant, that's just a terrible movie and I hate how convoluted they're making it to try and connect to Alien. I wanted an actual sequel to Prometheus of the two of them finding the Engineer's planet and digging deeper into that mythology.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Remember my absolutely unhinged anti-Ridley Scott/Damon Lindelof rant from back when Prometheus was released? :lol:

I'm STILL bitter about that movie's absolutely wasted potenetial!

I feel the same, I think. It was beautiful and I think it's still a good film despite the poor character writing (if you can get past it), but it massively failed its potential. Just a few small tweaks could have made it great.

I mean, I absolutely wanted what was originally promised with a Prometheus sequel, but it's pretty clear that despite all the weird stuff in Covenant (basically everything involving the two Fassbender androids) that the film was clearly made as a response to people not liking/caring about the culture and mythology of the creation of human life by alien Engineers in Prometheus but instead most audiences just wanted scares and stuff like the original Alien from Ridley Scott and Covenant provided a lot more of that as a response to those criticisms. Scott clearly wanted to make his journey to Eden movie, but all we get instead was a quick short film.

Blame audiences and the studio for how Covenant turned out. It's still got a lot of cool stuff to say about gods, creators, creations, and androids though, and it is still a beautiful film to look at, watch, and listen to.

• 9 months later...
BOUNDINGINTOCOMICS.COM

Ridley Scott told Alien: Romulus director Fede Álvarez he loved the movie, which is a good sign for its quality.

“And then he [walked] into the room and he did say, ‘Fede, what can I say? It’s [frick]ing great,’” he recalled. “For me, it was like… My family knows it was one of the best moments of my life to have a master like him, who I admired so much, to even watch a movie I made but particularly something like this…”

He continued, “…and [talked] to me for an hour about what he liked about it. One of the best compliments he said was, ‘The dialogue is great. Are you the writer?’ Yes!” CBM seconded the notion that Ridley Scott is blunt and hard to please, so his endorsement of Romulus is a good sign on paper.

Disney/FOX/Marvel clearly has plans for Fox' three sci-fi franchises; Alien, Predator and Planet of the Apes based on the comics they've been publishing recently. Alien has a new series, its third since since Fox was acquired by Disney/Marvel, that just started this month. Predator has an AMAZING crossover with Wolverine going on right now and Planet of the Apes' first series ended earlier this year. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do these franchises moving forward.

• Like 1