Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort agrees to plea deal with prosecutors/Cohen talking to prosecutors

But according to the New York Times, it would be a mistake to write off Conservative Thought so hastily. For we would be overlooking one crucial figure: Ben Shapiro. Shapiro, we are told, is “the cool kid’s philosopher, dissecting arguments with a lawyer’s skill and references to Aristotle.” The Times quotes praise of Shapiro as a “brilliant polemicist” and “principled gladiator,” a quick-witted man who “reads books,” and “takes apart arguments in ways that make the conservative conclusion seem utterly logical.” Shapiro is the “destroyer of weak arguments,” he “has been called the voice of the conservative millennial movement.” He is a genuine intellectual, a man who “does not attack unfairly, stoke anger for the sake of it, or mischaracterize his opponents’ positions.” He is principled: he deplores Trump, and cares about Truth. Shapiro’s personal mantra, “Facts don’t care about your feelings,” captures his approach: he’s passionate, but he believes in following reason rather than emotion. Shapiro, then, represents the best in contemporary conservative thinking. And if the cool kids have a philosopher, it is worth examining his philosophy in some depth.

https://static.currentaffairs.org/2017/12/the-cool-kids-philosopher

lol NYT 

• Guillotine 1

43 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

He could get a blanket pardon for all crimes committed and that provision is useless.

It's almost kinda adorable (in a pathetic way) how people are trying to wriggle around the notion that the Founding Fathers (Peace Be Unto Them) completely and totally botched this particular Constitutional provision and really did grant the President the powers of an absolute monarch in this matter.

I mean, for Ares's sake, Ford granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon". 

9 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's almost kinda adorable (in a pathetic way) how people are trying to wriggle around the notion that the Founding Fathers (Peace Be Unto Them) completely and totally botched this particular Constitutional provision and really did grant the President the powers of an absolute monarch in this matter.

I mean, for Ares's sake, Ford granted Nixon a "full, free, and absolute pardon". 

But... my feels...

It has been a little surprising to me how the news of this has been largely subdued. I think it's mainly because of the timing of happening on a Friday, being cut off by the weekend, and then being consumed by Kavanaughty.

I know it has gotten a decent amount of attention, but I think this is right up there with Comey's firing and the appointment of Mueller as big landmarks in our march towards whatever the resolution will be to collusion/obstruction.

Comey today said that he thought that this might represent the fourth quarter of the investigation. Which is funny because in trying to describe why I thought this should be a bigger deal, the analogy I came up with is that all Mueller's other indictments represent amassing his troops and getting them to their staging areas, while Manafort's indictment is Mueller actually taking the beachhead. Mueller has taken the beach. Manafort is the staging area for going after the final targets. And that can only be a few people. Probably Trump and his spawn.

Small point here. While the Manafort plea holds all kinds of potential for the collusion case, it's kind of amazing how rarely mentioned it is that there is a very good chance he also holds a potential smoking gun for obstruction. 

Remember the story earlier this year about Dowd floating a pardon to Manafort in exchange for silence?

Do you know who would be in a position to confirm that the president's lawyer was authorized to offer Paul Manafort a bribe to obstruct justice? Paul Manafort.