Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Okay, so I remembered that Middle-Earth: Shadow of War has a benchmark tool built into it, so I figured I'd benchmark that with my 3080 Ti as well... but... uhhh... why the F is this game over 120gb with the high-res texture pack? (it's still 103gb without the texture pack)

Orcs are bulky.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh shit, Cyberpunk added a built-in benchmark for v1.5+ @Mr.Vic20 @stepee

I know Metro Exodus EE (and regular) has one too, but it's a separate .exe file and never runs correctly (typically crashes after finishing)

Yeah the Metro benchmark isn’t great which sucks because Last Light; a game I got on release or near release but never really played, was part of my suite for a long time because it could really wreck you back then.

The CP bench is really nice, just a little disappointing on a 3080, can’t wait to check it out now.

Just now, stepee said:

Yeah the Metro benchmark isn’t great which sucks because Last Light; a game I got on release or near release but never really played, was part of my suite for a long time because it could really wreck you back then.

The CP bench is really nice, just a little disappointing on a 3080, can’t wait to check it out now.

FWIW I don't think my fps ever drops below 75-80fps in Metro Exodus EE (with all ray tracing set to ultra and DLSS set to balanced) at 4k, so it's not like it's a game my 3080 Ti struggles with despite it being one of the best looking games out there with everything ray-traced (shadows, reflections, light sources + even global illumination), but, it'd be nice to have an easy comparison for when my 4090 arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW I don't think my fps ever drops below 75-80fps in Metro Exodus EE (with all ray tracing set to ultra and DLSS set to balanced) at 4k, so it's not like it's a game my 3080 Ti struggles with despite it being one of the best looking games out there with everything ray-traced (shadows, reflections, light sources + even global illumination), but, it'd be nice to have an easy comparison for when my 4090 arrives on Tuesday or Wednesday.

But was it running at 120fps?! 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But was it running at 120fps?! 

I mean... if I enable VRS :angry-fap-small:

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I believe Metro EE is actually one of the smallest gains as it’s cpu bottlenecked at a point?

It's legit one of the best optimized ray-traced titles, one of the best looking ones, and from a small no-name dev :p 

13 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean... if I enable VRS :angry-fap-small:

It's legit one of the best optimized ray-traced titles, one of the best looking ones, and from a small no-name dev :p 

Actually, yeah I have no idea where I read that I could have sworn I saw someone saying it capped at like 85 fps still but it looks like it’s closer to double that

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_rtx_4090_suprim_x_review/14

Nvidia says it’s ‘unlaunching’ the 12GB RTX 4080 after backlash

lol

The RTX 4080 12GB is a fantastic graphics card, but it’s not named right,” says Nvidia in a blog post. “Having two GPUs with the 4080 designation is confusing.

Sounds like they're actually going to re-brand it to what it should have been in the first place.

• Haha 2

That's hilarious, but also I find it so very comforting that we were able to bitch enough to actually get them to change it.

I wonder how many cardboard boxes AIBs will have to throw away now.  

We also shouldn't have let Nvidia get away with this bullshit in the past. In recent history, I think they started pulling this malarky with the GTX 1060 6GB vs 3GB, which had different specs beyond RAM. There was a variant of the RTX 2060 that used a different chip, but at least they called it a KO, and then there a 12GB that had different specs.  The 3080 12GB is closer in specs to a 3080 Ti than 3080 10GB.  So fucking please, if the card has different specs call it something else Nvidia. There's more than 5 numbers you can use, and more than 2 letters!

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a good thing that nVidia listened to reviewers and consumers. However, watch them change it to where it’s still “4080” but has a tiny mx in the corner or something that AIBs and nVidia themselves can just slap onto current boxes

Damn you said MX. I think I bought a Geforce MX 4 something as a kid but I didn't know that I bought the midrange card not the top end model that was better then my Radeon 8800. Wasn't a big issue since the 9800 Pro came out after and I upgraded.

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Damn you said MX. I think I bought a Geforce MX 4 something as a kid but I didn't know that I bought the midrange card not the top end model that was better then my Radeon 8800. Wasn't a big issue since the 9800 Pro came out after and I upgraded.

The GeForce 4 MX was just the GeForce 2 on steroids

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The GeForce 4 MX was just the GeForce 2 on steroids

Ya man I was like 12 or something. I think what happened is I knew the name of the top model but it wasn't available at the computer show I went to so I just bought the one they had. 

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Ya man I was like 12 or something. I think what happened is I knew the name of the top model but it wasn't available at the computer show I went to so I just bought the one they had. 

It was the shittiest marketing tactics. I always felt bad for people who would post that they just got one and were super hyped about it

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a good thing that nVidia listened to reviewers and consumers. However, watch them change it to where it’s still “4080” but has a tiny mx in the corner or something that AIBs and nVidia themselves can just slap onto current boxes

It'll be the 4080 LIGMA

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

idk why I let myself get my hopes up at all, just got the “delivery attempted” notice. there are notes to get in through the gate on the front office but they probably just saw it and kept driving :/

Guess they will “try” again Monday!

Sorry to hear that. That sucks.

32 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s showing “delivery date will be provided as soon as possible” still after they failed to deliver on sat :/ Hope it still comes today.

Can you go to the local hub for pick up, or is that just a small town benefit I'm assume is available everywhere? Normally for me if I get the notice, I can drive over to the main distro after 4pm and pick it up from there. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Can you go to the local hub for pick up, or is that just a small town benefit I'm assume is available everywhere? Normally for me if I get the notice, I can drive over to the main distro after 4pm and pick it up from there. 

You can, so I’ll probably try that tomorrow if they can’t figure it out today!

• Halal 1