Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

I did not! But I think the main difference is I turned off 4x and used 2x msaa because that is just insane at 4k and just kinda silly!

I forgot to mention but yes Odyssey is indeed past 60fps now at 4k easily!

edit; yeah, you don’t seem to have the same bottleneck I’m getting with Hitman and Watch Dogs, Im hoping that isn’t just my cpu and is because i’m power limited on a 800w (or might even be 750w?)

Run the benchmark. It's under "extras" in the main menu, hoe :p 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Run the benchmark. It's under "extras" in the main menu, hoe :p 

55.6fps average 4x msaa (16k geo!)

108fps 2x msaa

Did you also like how it warns you that you will need a whopping 4gb of video ram when adjusting msaa :D 

Edit: Those were DX12 - got 58.3/45.2/73.5 on 4x msaa DX11

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

All benchmarks were done with max available settings (except for Deus Ex which was done in DX11 because the DX12 mode is stupid). If DLSS was available it was set to "quality". Vsync was, of course, off for all benchmarks.

Assassins Creed Odyssey:

Reveal hidden contents

Cyberpunk 2077:

Reveal hidden contents

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (4x MSAA, DX11):

Reveal hidden contents

Forza Horizon 5 (I like how the recommended settings on my 3080 Ti are "extreme", but the 4090 suggests "low" :rofl:):

Reveal hidden contents

Gears Tactics:

Reveal hidden contents

Guardians of the Galaxy:

Reveal hidden contents

Hitman 3 (Dartmoor + Dubai benchmarks):

Reveal hidden contents

Shadow of the Tomb Raider:

Reveal hidden contents

Watch Dogs: Legion:

Reveal hidden contents

hmm actually my hitman 3 benches aren’t far off - 69.5 on the first 89 on the second 

But like load up Sapienza, walking around at the start, it’s like high 40’s-mid 50’s for me, is it like that for you?

I found that turning reflections quality to medium let’s me actually hold 60+ in game with everything else max but sheesh.

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Edit: Those were DX12 - got 58.3/45.2/73.5 on 4x msaa DX11

58.3 is avg, the others are min and max? That’s weird you’re getting better performance than mine. Hmm

12 hours ago, stepee said:

But like load up Sapienza, walking around at the start, it’s like high 40’s-mid 50’s for me, is it like that for you?

I haven’t played the game at all yet lol. Can I just load into the area or do I need to progress to that point?

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

58.3 is avg, the others are min and max? That’s weird you’re getting better performance than mine. Hmm

I haven’t played the game at all yet lol. Can I just load into the area or do I need to progress to that point?

OH SO NOW I CANT HAVE BETTER THAN YOU.

:P

What cpu/ram are you on? My ram is ddr4 3600. Yeah I thought that was strange since you have an advantage on Hitman 3 (haven’t checked the others). I assume your Hitman 3 advantage is cpu or ram but not sure why Deus Ex would be higher for me since it’s not like I’m oc’d and if anything lower limited.

And you should be able to jump right in for that test! Just go to locations and select the city and start game, that’s all I did, nothing special and should be unlocked from the start. I get off the bench and it’s all mid 40s and 50s. 

Edit: er, yes, that’s average/min/max

@Mr.Vic20did you install yet? The brace/support that it comes with is more-than fine. People who were having a hard time with it must be really bad at hardware installs tbh... or were trying to install this without their PC on it's side :lol:
The top screw for the brace shares the bottom screw of the 4090 (so, you need 5 brackets available in total in your case 3 for video card + 2 extra for the bracket).

1 minute ago, stepee said:

OH SO NOW I CANT HAVE BETTER THAN YOU.

:P

What cpu/ram are you on? My ram is ddr4 3600. Yeah I thought that was strange since you have an advantage on Hitman 3 (haven’t checked the others). I assume your Hitman 3 advantage is cpu or ram but not sure why Deus Ex would be higher for me since it’s not like I’m oc’d and if anything lower limited.

And you should be able to jump right in for that test! Just go to locations and select the city and start game, that’s all I did, nothing special and should be unlocked from the start. I get off the bench and it’s all mid 40s and 50s. 

Ryzen 5900x

38 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ryzen 5900x

What kind of ram? Looking at benchmarks it looks like our cpu’s are close enough we should be getting similar results. But before nitpicking over every frame I really need to get the actual not below minimum required psu in this weekend ahhhh*

The really weird thing honestly is my Deus Ex score because there is def no reason for that to be that much higher 

* Though Im hearing it shouldn’t make too much of a difference with the 4090 if it’s even 70% power, I wonder if my psu limitation is actually affecting my cpu speed since Im not actually reducing my gpus power, but again, I’ll have a new psu in two days so it’s not worth troubleshooting 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

What kind of ram? Looking at benchmarks it looks like our cpu’s are close enough we should be getting similar results. But before nitpicking over every frame I really need to get the actual not below minimum required psu in this weekend ahhhh

The really weird thing honestly is my Deus Ex score because there is def no reason for that to be that much higher 

It's DDR4, I can't remember if it's 3200mhz or 3000mhz. I can't imagine that making a 5-ish fps difference (nearly 10%)

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20

Uhhh... Intel kinda just curb stomped AMD (for gaming at least)

These are actually some pretty nice gains. I don’t care if it’s overkill, I think with even further advancements, ddr5, pcie5, 14th gen upgrade gonna happen for me as my toy next christmas season.

With a 4090 and a 120hz tv, it’s not thattty crazy.

• Sicko 1

@Mr.Vic20did you install yet? The brace/support that it comes with is more-than fine. People who were having a hard time with it must be really bad at hardware installs tbh... or were trying to install this without their PC on it's side :lol:
The top screw for the brace shares the bottom screw of the 4090 (so, you need 5 brackets available in total in your case 3 for video card + 2 extra for the bracket).

Yup, yup! It was really easy! :sun:

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

13900K is looking really great! Unnecessary but hot, that's my kind of tech! :sun:

Haven't checked the benchmarks but I figured it be better since the 7950x was better then the 12900k but barely so. The real deal in this CPU gen will be the 3d variants.

Looking at the rumors I wonder if stepping back to the 7900x3d would be wiser. Probably plus 50 over the regular version. I do like the spaniness of my PC but I dunno if that's from the uplift vs the 5800x or me having more cores then I know what to do with. I'm gonna have to start like twitch/youtube streaming. Get a high end camera so I can start photo editing.

8 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Haven't checked the benchmarks but I figured it be better since the 7950x was better then the 12900k but barely so. The real deal in this CPU gen will be the 3d variants.

Looking at the rumors I wonder if stepping back to the 7900x3d would be wiser. Probably plus 50 over the regular version. I do like the spaniness of my PC but I dunno if that's from the uplift vs the 5800x or me having more cores then I know what to do with. I'm gonna have to start like twitch/youtube streaming. Get a high end camera so I can start photo editing.

In terms of gaming its a 15% uptick for single core processing, which is historically the most important element. A modest bump if moving from a 12900K, but only fools would do that... 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

In terms of gaming its a 15% uptick for single core processing, which is historically the most important element. A modest bump if moving from a 12900K, but only fools would do that... 

Thing is if you want to hold 120fps I think a 13900k is going to be a huge help right now. Seems a lot of games are going to be in the 100s but not quite hold 120 on previous high end cpus, and 15% might just about do it. Depends on how sensitive you are to 120fps lock vs 100’s floating vrr really. There is something about a locked 120 imo, but part of that is also my tv.

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thing is if you want to hold 120fps I think a 13900k is going to be a huge help right now. Seems a lot of games are going to be in the 100s but not quite hold 120 on previous high end cpus, and 15% might just about do it. Depends on how sensitive you are to 120fps lock vs 100’s floating vrr really. There is something about a locked 120 imo, but part of that is also my tv.

I have a medical affliction defined as a hypersensitivity to poor performance! This is medicinal! :sun:

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

I always debate on getting one of those AIO-like hybrid models, but then I remember that AIO die after 3-5 years and there’s zero chance of just buying a new cooler for a hundred or two; you’re just boned with an out-of-warranty $1-2k video card that can’t be cooled anymore. It makes me wonder why people buy those kind. Sorry, just random thoughts. :p 

• True 1

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I always debate on getting one of those AIO-like hybrid models, but then I remember that AIO die after 3-5 years and there’s zero chance of just buying a new cooler for a hundred or two; you’re just boned with an out-of-warranty $1-2k video card that can’t be cooled anymore. It makes me wonder why people buy those kind. Sorry, just random thoughts. :p 

Yeah, always seemed crazy to me as well! Also, the AIO version use to launch a while after the flagship card launched so I never understood the patient, myopic, rich customer they were courting!

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, always seemed crazy to me as well! Also, the AIO version use to launch a while after the flagship card launched so I never understood the patient, myopic, rich customer they were courting!

Like, if I’m going to water cool a GPU, I’d sooner buy one with a pre-installed water block to run off of a custom loop. This way if something goes wrong in terms of the pump/reservoir, it can be fixed. I don’t even know if I’d get a custom water block from Corsair or EK since I’d void the F out of the warranty installing one of those. :p 

BTW, going back to our MSI 4090s; holy F their RGB software is ungodly bad. Like JFC

• Haha 1

Like, if I’m going to water cool a GPU, I’d sooner buy one with a pre-installed water block to run off of a custom loop. This way if something goes wrong in terms of the pump/reservoir, it can be fixed. I don’t even know if I’d get a custom water block from Corsair or EK since I’d void the F out of the warranty installing one of those. :p 

BTW, going back to our MSI 4090s; holy F their RGB software is ungodly bad. Like JFC

I downloaded that hot garbage this morning! :lol: Mystic Light my ass! :lol:

12 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I downloaded that hot garbage this morning! :lol: Mystic Light my ass! :lol:

The default hardware lighting is better than ANY of the mystic light options. The default is a rainbow wave using, I assume, basically all possible colors; the wave in Mystic Light only cycles between three… AND ONCE YOU SELECT A MYSTIC LIGHT PROFILE THERE’S NO WAY TO GO BACK TO THE HARDWARE DEFAULT ONE. JFC. I kinda wish I waited and hunted for a Galax one now - the RGB on theirs looks phenomenal and it has a 3pin connector attachment that you can plug into your mobo so you don’t need to rely on their software. :p 

Anyway, you and @stepeewill enjoy this: in my search for alternative MSI RGB software yesterday (yet to find any that works for just GPUs (needs an MSI Mobo too or simply doesn’t seem to recognize the video card)), I stumbled across a reddit thread where someone said they just ordered a 4090 and were upgrading from a 3090. All the replies were “upgrading from a 3090…? Wut?”, “bruh”, “4090s are a scam”, “DLSS3 is garbage”, etc. I noted my upgrade from a 3080 Ti to a 4090 and posted the benchmarks I uploaded in this thread, it’s been almost a full day and all the shit talkers seem to have disappeared

laughing GIF

• Haha 3

People may hate the price, and there is a whole discussion/argument to be had about it, but to deny the performance is delusional! But fanboys do what they do. You should read the www.wccftech.com comments section on any article, its like a time machine back to fanboy wars of the earlier 2000s! 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

People may hate the price, and there is a whole discussion/argument to be had about it, but to deny the performance is delusional! But fanboys do what they do. You should read the www.wccftech.com comments section on any article, its like a time machine back to fanboy wars of the earlier 2000s! 

Comment sections is where happiness goes to die. :p 

I see people on nVidia’s facebook/twitter/instagram commenting on anything 4090 related with things like “I hAvE a 3080 BuT i’M sWiTcHiNg To AmD nExT!!1!1!!!1” and “DLSS dOeSn’T wOrK aNd jUsT mAkEs ThE gAmE bLuRrY”… like… you don’t have an nVidia gpu and never did lmao

• True 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

How do you enroll in the beta? 

Download the Xbox Insider App from the windows store and the. launch it, under the previews section you should see flight simulator and be able to opt in. Then you restart and download the update. 

Its willlllld.