Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

Just now, stepee said:

I read someone on resetera a say Valhalla runs at 120fps on the 4090, I’ll believe it when I see it!

Apprently the latest drivers gave it a big performance jump on the 3xxx series, so I can actually believe it! What a time to be alive! 

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

FWIW, Far Cry 6 ran at a constant 80-90 for me and AC Valhalla was 70 on average (it runs better than either Origins or Odysee :lol: )

Its true they have been improving of late however I refuse to compliment them because it has more to do with the hardware finally overcoming their engines issues through brute force/FSR or DLSS doing  the lifting. For a company as big as Ubisoft, they really should be better at optimizing their shit. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its true they have been improving of late however I refuse to compliment them because it has more to do with the hardware finally overcoming their engines issues through brute force/FSR or DLSS doing  the lifting. For a company as big as Ubisoft, they really should be better at optimizing their shit. 

Valhalla’s FSR won’t work unless you have an AMD card: it literally crashes if you try to enable it with an nVidia card, to where you have to find the configuration ini file and manually edit it to disable fsr :rolleyes:

So, Valhalla is actually programmed better than previous AC entries at least. Odyssey runs way worse.

• Haha 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Valhalla’s FSR won’t work unless you have an AMD card: it literally crashes if you try to enable it with an nVidia card, to where you have to find the configuration ini file and manually edit it to disable fsr :rolleyes:

I did not know that, even funnier! Fuckin' Dubisoft! :lol:

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

One game I’m curious to try with the 4090 is Deus Ex MD. 4k with 4xAA averages 38fps with my 3080 Ti. Every time I run the benchmark I go “damn, I forgot how god this game looks”

Ohhh, that’s a good one! I’ll have to put that on my mental list of games to try. And yes, checking Odyssey for finally 4k/60 is on that list as well! Especially since I want to finally play that one if not later this year; early next year.

@Mr.Vic20 mine still shows processing :( glad they at least charged me or Id be worried

• Hugs 1

Oh, there are many games I will try:

• Metro Exodus
  • Anything Dubisoft
  • RDR II
  • Cyber Punk 2077 
  • Control
  • Spiderman Remastered

Then there will be the new games to throw into its maw, like:

• Callisto Protocol
  • Starfield
  • Deadspace Remake
  • Stalker 2

Any which way, I'm feeling ready for anything 23 throws at us! :sun:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

• Metro Exodus
  • Anything Dubisoft
  • RDR II
  • Cyber Punk 2077 
  • Control
  • Spiderman Remastered

• Callisto Protocol
  • Starfield
  • Deadspace Remake
  • Stalker 2

Your list is part of mine but gotta add Dying Light 2, Deus EX MD, Flight Simulator, The Quarry, and Uncharted 4!

Edit: And Plagues Tale Requiem! 

Just now, stepee said:

I’m wondering now how I even ran this on whatever card it was at the time, I just have been 1080p.

If you do try running it, remember to keep it in DX11 because DX12 adds nothing visually but kills performance even more. If I disable AA (ew) I can get around 60fps at 4k iirc.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

If you do try running it, remember to keep it in DX11 because DX12 adds nothing visually but kills performance even more. If I disable AA (ew) I can get around 60fps at 4k iirc.

But now you gotta add DX12 back just to witness that sweet sweet brute force! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

But now you gotta add DX12 back just to witness that sweet sweet brute force! 

It’s really THAT broken. Like where I mentioned I can remove AA for around 60fps, with DX12 enabled that drops to sub-30, like 27 or something iirc. It’s seriously a 50%+ performance drop.

• Haha 1
  • True 1

The latest driver update is interesting to say the least: 

GeForce_Driver_Download.jpg
HOTHARDWARE.COM

Right on cue, NVIDIA has issued an updated GPU driver release to officially support its beastly new flagship graphics card, the GeForce RTX 4090. That's not all, though.

It’s a shame that site only does 1080p and 1440p for the benches, but the performance gain of these drivers is kinda astounding.

• Halal 2

Shipping is finally updating and it looks like my 4090 will be arriving on Thursday the 20th. It was Wednesday the 19th, but its probably for the best that its coming later in the week as I will not be getting much work done once I start gaming benchmarking on this chonky mutha! :sun:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Shipping is finally updating and it looks like my 4090 will be arriving on Thursday the 20th. It was Wednesday the 19th, but its probably for the best that its coming later in the week as I will not be getting much work done once I start gaming benchmarking on this chonky mutha! :sun:

Heard there is an issue with accurate tracking updates due to severe time dilation caused by these massive cards.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

• Metro Exodus
  • Anything Dubisoft
  • RDR II
  • Cyber Punk 2077 
  • Control
  • Spiderman Remastered

• Callisto Protocol
  • Starfield
  • Deadspace Remake
  • Stalker 2

Where's Betrayal at Krondor?

• Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My floppy drive is busted so I can't force anything else into high mem on boot! :cry:

BaK is always the first game I boot on a new build. I spent so much time fucking with config.sys and auto exec.bat back in the day that I just can't help myself.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

BaK is always the first game I boot on a new build. I spent so much time fucking with config.sys and auto exec.bat back in the day that I just can't help myself.

I remember audibly cursing in the pursuit of competant performance with BaK! But then again, it was worth it because you got a game and a novel, which was pretty novel, for the time! 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I remember audibly cursing in the pursuit of competant performance with BaK! But then again, it was worth it because you got a game and a novel, which was pretty novel, for the time! 

Indeed! I dunno that I could recommend anyone playing it for the first time now if they have no attachment to CRPGs from that era, but I think it holds up rather nicely with the right POV.

• Halal 1

Not quite the same topic but I remember getting Myst on pc as one of my first pc/cd games and I literally cried a little I was so disappointed that it was just still pictures, that the game wasn’t actually 3D like doom with graphics that good like I thought. I was 11 okay.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Not quite the same topic but I remember getting Myst on pc as one of my first pc/cd games and I literally cried a little I was so disappointed that it was just still pictures, that the game wasn’t actually 3D like doom with graphics that good like I thought. I was 11 okay.

Myst was always a terrible game and its OK for everyone to admit that now. :sun:

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The HMS 4K/120 pulling into the stepee station tomorrow?! ITs good to be west coast when you are into tech! :sun:

I just looked and it indeed shipped from California so it could be real! I wont get too hyped because of 1) my luck 2) I have a gate that causes issues with Saturday deliveries, but we will see! If nothing else it will be very soon :D 

Didn’t actually think I’d have it by Plague Tale’s launch, I think that will be my “launch game” I really play first. Shouldn’t be too long too, so will have enough time before GOW2 comes out.

• Halal 1