Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Soon brother, SOON! I'm sure its a crazy day for them! They are a California company so they have until like 8 or even 9 to get yours shipped today! 

I’m just antsy because my 3080 Ti sold faster than I thought it would and I want to make sure the 4090 at least ships before I pack up the 3080 Ti :p 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20looks like the PSU conversion cables on the MSI only have 3x 8pins instead of the 4... Is that safe or should we get a 4x adapter?

Completely safe. The card will simply limit you to the default 450w power limit, whereas other cards with 4x8 will allow up to a 600W power limit.  But the 600w limit is completely pointless, as the card doesn't overclock high enough to use that much. Most overclocks I've seen, even with the 600w limit, only get the card to draw a little over 500w, and the performance gains are on average 5%. At stock the 4090 uses less power than the 3090 Ti anyway.

If you were to get a new adapter, I would suggest look into if your current PSU manufacturer is selling (or is going to to sell) a new 12pin cable for your specific unit. Corsair is going to sell a new modular cable that will be compatible with most of their recent power supplies.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Completely safe. The card will simply limit you to the default 450w power limit, whereas other cards with 4x8 will allow up to a 600W power limit.  But the 600w limit is completely pointless, as the card doesn't overclock high enough to use that much. Most overclocks I've seen, even with the 600w limit, only get the card to draw a little over 500w, and the performance gains are on average 5%. At stock the 4090 uses less power than the 3090 Ti anyway.

If you were to get a new adapter, I would suggest look into if your current PSU manufacturer is selling (or is going to to sell) a new 12pin cable for your specific unit. Corsair is going to sell a new modular cable that will be compatible with most of their recent power supplies.

EVGA has this one: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

It only has two connections to the PSU, though :confused:

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

EVGA has this one: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

It only has two connections to the PSU, though :confused:

That won't work with 4000 series. It's for 3000 series which use a special 12 pin connector Nvidia came up with. You want to get a 12VHPWR cable, which I should correct myself and actually has 16 pins, 12 power pins + 4 sensor pins.  You might also see them called as PCIE 5.0 connectors.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That won't work with 4000 series. It's for 3000 series which use a special 12 pin connector Nvidia came up with. You want to get a 12VHPWR cable, which I should correct myself and actually has 16 pins, 12 power pins + 4 sensor pins.  You might also see them called as PCIE 5.0 connectors.

But you still use the same cable if you aren’t on pcie 5.0 right? 

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The 4090 is more than half of the price which didn't used to be the case but here we are. :p

Then there’s the higher prices of ddr5 as it’s still new and same with nvme drives. It’s an expensive time to get a top of the line build because there’s a lot of new tech happening. I think in two years with a cheaper 5000 series and prices falling on other parts it will go back down to like 2k for a top of the line (performance within 20% of the best available) pc.

11 minutes ago, HardAct said:

You guys what CPU are you pairing with your 4090s? Also PSUs? Are you upgrading for the card or just slapping it in your current systems? Excited for all you and those on 30series....

Im going to be using an i9 10850k which I may replace with a ddr5 build but not for a bit until there is more need and/or some huge leap. 

For the psu I just went the easy cheap route and @Mr.Vic20sent me a top of the line 1200watt he just had laying around! I definitely recommend going that route for the psu, worked out really well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I must be really high off the success of actually securing one because I decided I actually really dig how this Zotac looks. It looks ridiculous and actually kinda different than a normal gpu and I like that. It really is kind of the ps5 of gpus in design.

They make good cards in my experience. I love how My Zotec AMP Extreme 2080ti looks as well as performs. Crazy to even wrap my head around these 4090's an the 170% faster performance than what I'm currently gaming on. Incredible, God I love tech and PC hardware......

Just now, HardAct said:

They make good cards in my experience. I love how My Zotec AMP Extreme 2080ti looks as well as performs. Crazy to even wrap my head around these 4-9-'s an the 170% faster performance than what I'm currently gaming on. Incredible, God I love tech and PC hardware......

This is good to hear, thanks! I was an evga person so I never had one before, but now that evga is out, I didn’t really care which brand yet.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im going to be using an i9 10850k which I may replace with a ddr5 build but not for a bit until there is more need and/or some huge leap. 

For the psu I just went the easy cheap route and @Mr.Vic20sent me a top of the line 1200watt he just had laying around! I definitely recommend going that route for the psu, worked out really well.

SWEET

I'd get a 1000watt next too just to future proof that end of things. Also would be looking to source a 90Degree power cable or an adapter as soon as they become available. Hate how they come strait out and have to be really bent to try and cable manage those 4x pigtails.....

1 minute ago, HardAct said:

SWEET

I'd get a 1000watt Gold/Platinum next too just to future proof that end of things. Also would be looking to source a 90Degree power cable or an adapter as soon as they become available. Hate how they come strait out and have to be really bent to try and cable manage those 4x pigtails.....

Though I wish that was a problem I was having to deal with lol

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is good to hear, thanks! I was an evga person so I never had one before, but now that evga is out, I didn’t really care which brand yet.

YEA ME TOO usually just saying that Zotac has been solid too. I would've wanted to find a EVGA FTW 4090 first then looked down the line if they were out of stock, or in this case out of the picture completely! well by march next year the 4090ti will be out most likely. Who knows...lol I have only had the TOP GPU on time in my PC building/Gaming life and that's the 2080ti I have now. Well wait I think there was a Titan card with the 20 series? Anyway, this next time I want to go all in with a 3500k Budget {Hoping for sub 3k but it is what it is}, My 2080Ti was $1079.99! I had no PC then after the fire so I wanted top tier everything. Before [Lost in the 2018 camp fire] that I had 980ti's in sli. I can say I do not miss the hassle with sli!

• True 1

13 minutes ago, HardAct said:

YEA ME TOO usually just saying that Zotac has been solid too. I would've wanted to find a EVGA FTW 4090 first then looked down the line if they were out of stock, or in this case out of the picture completely! well by march next year the 4090ti will be out most likely. Who knows...lol I have only had the TOP GPU on time in my PC building/Gaming life and that's the 2080ti I have now. Well wait I think there was a Titan card with the 20 series? Anyway, this next time I want to go all in with a 3500k Budget {Hoping for sub 3k but it is what it is}, My 2080Ti was $1079.99! I had no PC then after the fire so I wanted top tier everything. Before [Lost in the 2018 camp fire] that I had 980ti's in sli. I can say I do not miss the hassle with sli!

Yeah that is the one silver lining with gpus getting bigger and more hungry, at least there isn’t sli. Though I would love to see what a triple 4090 sli configuration build looks like :D

49 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thank you! I just was getting confused because yeah I’ve heard people calling it a pcie 5 connector.

PCIE 5 should actually refer to the PSU's ability to output power. It's a more stringent requirement to meet for the new CPUs and GPUs that require higher power and transient loads.  So that's why you see people conflating the names; basically just a shortcut in communication because 12vhpwr is kind of a shitty name to say lol, and any PSU that meets the PCIE 5.0 spec will have the new connector anyway.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

I must be really high off the success of actually securing one because I decided I actually really dig how this Zotac looks. It looks ridiculous and actually kinda different than a normal gpu and I like that. It really is kind of the ps5 of gpus in design.

Which Zotac did you get? Can you post a link? I might be willing to trade you my MSI as I like the look of previous Zotac cards a lot.

39 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

@Mr.Vic20

Skip to about 6min in. He explains the 3 plug vs 4 plug (over by roughly 7:30). With 3 plugs the power target is limited to 100% EVGA Precision X, with 4 plugs they can move it to 130%. What I’m still unsure of is if this affects the stock boost clock, however 

It sounds like it only will effect overclocking, but this is why I'd really like a proper review of the specific card we purchashed. 

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

It sounds like it only will effect overclocking, but this is why I'd really like a proper review of the specific card we purchashed. 

There’s 1000 unboxings of it available but zero reviews. Only the MSI Suprim/Suprim X has reviews. If there is some type of loss with the 3x converter, hopefully we can just buy a 4x converter to remove that.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

There’s 1000 unboxings of it available but zero reviews. Only the MSI Suprim/Suprim X has reviews. If there is some type of loss with the 3x converter, hopefully we can just buy a 4x converter to remove that.

Yeah, and honestly I have zero plans to OC this thing, so as long as I'm not buying another adapter then I think where good here. My understanding of the difference betwen the Trio and the X Trio is basically a 100Mhz boost and a "maybe" better binning on the chip if you're planning to OC it. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yeah, and honestly I have zero plans to OC this thing, so as long as I'm not buying another adapter then I think where good here. My understanding of the difference betwen the Trio and the X Trio is basically a 100Mhz boost and a "maybe" better binning on the chip if you're planning to OC it. 

So, you’re saying I should’ve spent the extra $50? :sadsun:

Just now, Spork3245 said:

So, you’re saying I should’ve spent the extra $50? :sadsun:

:lol: Nah! OCing these cards is silly honestly. They are overkill for most games and I actually expect some impressive DLSS3 adoption over time for most of the demanding titles.