Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

Mr.Vic20

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh, I wasn’t being sarcastic, I really like how it looks now, so I wanna keep it :D

That one looks great. I have a perference for the EVGA designs I saw of the 3xxx. (F)

I just hope the new Radeons continue the design of the current cards. I like the look of the Red Devil cards from Power Color but I think I'd prefer the brushed aluminium back plate. I like how the RGB reflects off of it in my case. 

I need more RGB RAM (just for more RGB) and I should replace the rear fan with an RGB fan. I think the front fans would interfer with the Gundam glass front so I will leave them as not RGB fans. I want to try to do a custom loop but I guess I should wait for video card water blocks before I make that decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

That one looks great. I have a perference for the EVGA designs I saw of the 3xxx. (F)

I just hope the new Radeons continue the design of the current cards. I like the look of the Red Devil cards from Power Color but I think I'd prefer the brushed aluminium back plate. I like how the RGB reflects off of it in my case. 

I need more RGB RAM (just for more RGB) and I should replace the rear fan with an RGB fan. I think the front fans would interfer with the Gundam glass front so I will leave them as not RGB fans. I want to try to do a custom loop but I guess I should wait for video card water blocks before I make that decision. 

I’d love a water cooler setup with a nice etched design like yours some day, maybe for my ddr5 build. But I’m 100% paying someone to do it!

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm thinking, and mind you they could be lying, that these units came out a few days after the founders and AIB flagship cards. 

Sounds like the BIOS may be capped at 480watts, so a 4x 8pin cable may not make a difference anyway too. However, the person who noted that in that reddit thread also mentioned that going from 300w to 450w only nets a ~2% difference, so 450w to 600w is likely similar.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Sounds like the BIOS may be capped at 480watts, so a 4x 8pin cable may not make a difference anyway too. However, the person who noted that in that reddit thread also mentioned that going from 300w to 450w only nets a ~2% difference, so 450w to 600w is likely similar.

Right, and frankly it seems like the watt usage on these cards is being overblown a touch. Able, is not required. Conversly, people thinking they can underclock these cards might be in for a bad surprise. 

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Right, and frankly it seems like the watt usage on these cards is being overblown a touch. Able, is not required. Conversly, people thinkiong they can underclock these cards might be in for a bad surprise. 

I saw a video that was labeled "please don't even think about under volting your 4090", but I didn't watch it because I hate those click bait titles :p 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Seeing how easy it is to get one, I’m now actually tempted to put an order in. I completely am over the hunt for electronics 

Welcome to pushers anonymous! We don't judge, we just push! Did I say push?! I mean HELP! Let us help you agree with our vision of a powerful visual future! :sun:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Seeing how easy it is to get one, I’m now actually tempted to put an order in. I completely am over the hunt for electronics 

It was easy for about 10-15 minutes if you checked newegg and maybe some manufacturer store sites fwiw. BestBuy never showed any stock, I don't believe Amazon did either, nor did nVidia's store.

However, I don't think these will be too hard to find after a few shipments.

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Nvidia 4xxx Series - The Official Perennially Disappointing Hunt for More Power!

I’ve been thinking about the reviews and, even without AI frame generation, I’m honestly trying to think of the last time we had a performance gap this large. I went back and looked at some benches for some cards I remember being a big deal, and I think the closest I may have found is the performance jump of the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 vs the GeForce 3 Ti 500

• True 2

I’ve been thinking about the reviews and, even without AI frame generation, I’m honestly trying to think of the last time we had a performance gap this large. I went back and looked at some benches for some cards I remember being a big deal, and I think the closest I may have found is the performance jump of the GeForce 4 Ti 4600 vs the GeForce 3 Ti 500

Yeah, this launch is bonkers expensive, but the leap in power is proportionatly bonkers, somehow! :lol:

• Hugs 1

Yep! That was my takeaway from the benchmarks, even without dlss the jump is so large, it’s been a long long time since we’ve seen this and will probably be a long time until we see it again.

With DLSS3 added, it might be the biggest jump we ever see again in our sad little lives!

It’s funny because my initial thought was the 980 vs the 780… but the 980 wasn’t that much faster, it just ran a lot cooler and had way less power consumption. So, I thought “oh, maybe the GeForce 3 vs GeForce 2 Ultra”… no, the GeForce 2 Ultra BEAT the GeForce 3 in DX7 benchmarks with the GeForce 3 only winning (noticeably) in DX8 games. Which is weird as I remembered how badly I wanted a GeForce 3 for the new DX8 features (pixel and vertex shaders) and hated being stuck on a GeForce 2 Pro at the time (even though apparently performance was almost 1:1 in most games :lol: ) - I guess the 3 wasn’t worth it until the Ti 500 came out. Then I remembered my next card was a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 so I checked the benches and damn, it was 45% faster than the GeForce 3 Ti 500. Absolute night and day performance gap.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s funny because my initial thought was the 980 vs the 780… but the 980 wasn’t that much faster, it just ran a lot cooler and had way less power consumption. So, I thought “oh, maybe the GeForce 3 vs GeForce 2 Ultra”… no, the GeForce 2 Ultra BEAT the GeForce 3 in DX7 benchmarks with the GeForce 3 only winning (noticeably) in DX8 games. Which is weird as I remembered how badly I wanted a GeForce 3 for the new DX8 features (pixel and vertex shaders) and hated being stuck on a GeForce 2 Pro at the time (even though apparently performance was almost 1:1 in most games :lol: ) - I guess the 3 wasn’t worth it until the Ti 500 came out. Then I remembered my next card was a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 so I checked the benches and damn, it was 45% faster than the GeForce 3 Ti 500. Absolute night and day performance gap.

Check this generational breakdown

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the 780ti to 980ti would still be the closest, but it doesn’t quite work because the 980ti was like half a year later after 9000 launched, and still not as big of a gap. 

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think the 780ti to 980ti would still be the closest, but it doesn’t quite work because the 980ti was like half a year later after 9000 launched, and still not as big of a gap. 

Yea, I’m not counting refreshes of an active generation vs a previous generation. Just top end of the previous generation (ie: GeForce 2 Ultra) vs top end of a new generations launch (ie: GeForce 3, not the Ti 200 and 500 which were the refresh). The 980 Ti was a marvel even vs the base 980, though. It still can run most games maxed out (obviously no ray tracing and not with maxed AA) at 1440p and get around 60fps.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Check this generational breakdown

I just checked benchmarks, and I realized they’re ignoring refreshes. To get to that huge of a jump from the 9xx to the 10xx, it would be the 980 vs the 1080, which ignores the 980 Ti. The jump from the 980 Ti was around a 30% increase for the 1080.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I’m not counting refreshes of an active generation vs a previous generation. Just top end of the previous generation (ie: GeForce 2 Ultra) vs top end of a new generations launch (ie: GeForce 3, not the Ti 200 and 500 which were the refresh). The 980 Ti was a marvel even vs the base 980, though. It still can run most games maxed out (obviously no ray tracing and not with maxed AA) at 1440p and get around 60fps.

I think the closest comparison would be it’s like if the 980ti launched with the 980 and wasn’t a refresh, and then had a cherry on top.