Our city got a new "Mexican" restaurant

Ominous

The local Facebook page was buzzing about this new place being open. First two photos I see have food with ground beef in them.

Fucking white people ruin everything.

Sometimes I hate living in the suburbs...but it's nice not worrying about any real crime so what you gonna do.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Sicko 1

when nearby restaurants are still serving the "lets try making this stuff more like cheeseburgers" style of latin cuisine it might tell you about the culture you spend a lot of time around!

man i'll never take for granted not growing up or living in whitey suburbs.  where i'm at now does have a slight decrease in overall restaurant quality but at least an authentic italian place and taquerias (with some of the best birria tacos i've tried) are some of the options nearby ^_^

12 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

man i never take for granted not growing up or living in whitey suburbs.  where i'm at now does have a slight decrease in overall restaurant quality but at least an authentic italian place and taquerias (with some of the best birria tacos i've tried) are some of the options nearby ^_^

There are some good taco trucks, but you really need to go to southwest Detroit to be get authentic Mexican food around here.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:14 PM, Biggie said:

Just wait a few more months until the buses arrive and I’m certain more authentic restaurants will be opening in your area along with the crime rate going up. Enjoy!

this is basically hate speech 

This made me think of a place my wife and I would eat at during college. We're both from San Diego, so we're familiar with real Mexican food, but upstate NY was not. I don't think either of us ever found decent Mexican while we were there, but there was a place right outside her school that wasn't half bad. They had a framed piece from the NY Times on the wall that told their story. Apparently, they immigrated from China to the US and naturally wanted to open a Chinese restaurant, but quickly found that the market was saturated, and perhaps more importantly, that running a good Chinese restaurant is expensive because they use so many different ingredients.

Then they discovered Mexican food. They figured that Mexican food is basically the same few ingredients packaged differently, so they could buy everything in bulk and have far less waste. They bought themselves an expensive tortilla machine (that they were very proud of) and opened the restaurant. It was in no way authentic, but for Americanized Mexican food made by recent Chinese immigrants, it was pretty decent. It was cheap and fast and really hit the spot after a late night of studying.

They were also incredibly hard working. I remember walking in late one night right as they were closing. We put in our order for something like $5 worth of tacos before realizing that they were basically shut down. They'd wiped everything clean and turned off the stoves. It may well have been after their official closing time, but they didn't flinch to light everything back up to make our food.

Looks like they're still around, and still selling tacos for a couple bucks. Good for them.

• 3 weeks later...