Xbox Elite Series 2 Core announced for $129.99

Brian

Yeah those Series2 impressions Ive heard scare me away and the price for this and the price still isn’t great to me for what you get here, since it’s really $140, because not having the paddles is just silly so you gotta get some third party ones. And then just the price in general when it’s known to have build quality issues and still has old haptic tech.

I really want a new wireless pc gamepad and would pay up to $200 if I found something I really like but there just isn’t now so I’m still just using this wired Razer Wolverine TE. Hell, if they would just make a wireless version of that then I’d get it, I much prefer how it handles the extra buttons.

Then there’s the dualsense and dualsense edge, would love to use either of those, especially the edge for my pc game pad, but there isn’t official pc support. If I could get the dualsense features wirelessly, and there were official drivers so I wouldn’t need Steam profiles for it to work, then I’d totally switch to DS for pc. But we will see if they finally do that with the edge I guess.

So right now I’m still just waiting for a premium gamepad that seems up to date feature wise to switch to.

While I had heard the announcement about the controller, it wasn't until I just got done listening to Podcast Unlocked that I was made aware of the Design Labs integration (FINALLY!) Better late than never I suppose, maybe they'll also implement which, if any, of the extra sticks/triggers etc you want you can add piecemeal?

In what way is that different from the current Elite Series 2 in terms of features? 

I like the Elite Series 2, but had to replace my first one after like 10 months of use. This looks like the same stuff but for $50 less. 

is the $189 Elite controller getting a significant upgrade, or is this just a rebranding and price drop to coincide with the Labs addition? 

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

In what way is that different from the current Elite Series 2 in terms of features? 

I like the Elite Series 2, but had to replace my first one after like 10 months of use. This looks like the same stuff but for $50 less. 

is the $189 Elite controller getting a significant upgrade, or is this just a rebranding and price drop to coincide with the Labs addition? 

The Core doesn’t come with extra swappable parts and paddles. Those are now being sold separately. 

39 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

The Core doesn’t come with extra swappable parts and paddles. Those are now being sold separately. 

so basically if I need to replace the controller, but don’t need new paddles or sticks I can just buy the core. 

well that’s nice. 

though I kind of want a Series 3 with some kind of new features and better production quality. 

I'll be honest, with the current quality of their controllers, I think they should drop the price of all of them.

I have stick drift in my Elite and two of my Series controllers. Yet I can plug in my Day One 2013 controller with it's ugly worn out nubs for thumbsticks and it still works like a dream.

Xbox controllers used to be the gold standard for quality but they're just as shit as all the other ones now.

Absolutely LOVED my original Elite Series Controller! The fire took that one though and I have been itching to replace it ever since. Reading all about the issue these new Elite controllers have I just can't talk myself into pulling the trigger! The original EC was like $250 wasn't it. Yes quite expensive but I didn't read everywhere that they had issues. I guess cheaper price means cheaper build quality huh? Crazy how $150 CONTROLLERS ARE "CHEAPER VERSIONS" I'VE MADE IT THIS FAR and I think I'll just let this one get away. I have a 20 year anniversary edition already that is great!

So is there any reason these shitheads at Nintendo/MS/Sony aren't just using hall effect sensors? The Dreamcast did it over 20 years ago, and GuliKit does it today. Completely prevents stick drift, not even that much more expensive. (You can get a GuliKit KingKong 2 for $70, cheaper on sale of course)

Luckily I've only had stick drift with my Switch because they use the lowest quality sticks on the fucking planet, but still. Don't let it BECOME an issue to begin with.

That all said... anyone try these? They out yet? My issue isn't stick drift so much as unreliable face buttons. Every single Xbox pad I have, without exception, across all SKUs, models high and low end, Xbox one to Series X, including several Elite Series 2 replacements, have trouble just activating the goddamn A button.

Give it a try sometime. Open up a controller config in Windows, or if you're on console, a game where holding down the A button causes something to continuously happen (like in THPS1+2, where you go accelerate by holding A) and lightly press down on the button. Is it going? Try moving your finger a bit. Keep it gently pressed, but change where you're applying pressure. If it's anything like literally every single Xbox pad I've had, you'll have several angles where it doesn't register anything, and some spots where it "flickers" which is even worse.

This has been a severe problem for me as I generally push buttons very lightly, even if I'm hitting them quickly, and I almost never hit them completely dead-center, because who is constantly aiming that precisely with button presses? This has never been a problem I've experienced on any other pad from any other brand, and I owned dozens of controllers and love to use different ones all the time, so I'd definitely have noticed it elsewhere by now.

The problem exists on other face buttons too, particularly B, but it happens worst on A for some reason. The "flicker" activation is the worst, especially for advancing text in games where I'll get a double or sometimes triple press just from a light tap.

Even shitty third-party controllers don't do that for me. Or this $50 Miyoo Mini which is an entire handheld system made in China from bootleg parts. Even that has reliable button presses.

And it pisses me the fuck off because the Xbox pads are my favorite feeling by far, but are the most unreliable now due to this one issue. (Well, joy-cons are the most unreliable but what kinda psycho would use those even on a Switch? Probably some sort of pervert.)

• Haha 1

That’s true about the Xbox buttons yeah, idk about on these ones tho. Valve needs to do a Steam Controller 2. I hated the first one actually, it was too small and light, and the pads should be an addition not a replacement for analog, but the Steam Deck is amazing to hold and play with. Something like that but smaller for a pc gamepad would be great.

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

That’s true about the Xbox buttons yeah, idk about on these ones tho. Valve needs to do a Steam Controller 2. I hated the first one actually, it was too small and light, and the pads should be an addition not a replacement for analog, but the Steam Deck is amazing to hold and play with. Something like that but smaller for a pc gamepad would be great.

Absolutely. Love holding my Deck!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 4:37 AM, TheLeon said:

I ordered a Series 2 a few weeks ago, unaware of its issues. Sure enough, within just a couple weeks of moderate use, my A and B buttons don’t register sometimes. Extremely noticeable in Dark Souls 3. :p

Luckily it happened fast enough that I have an easy return to Amazon. 

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I feel like Xbox controllers do have missed inputs sometimes. There are certainly times where I push a button and it doesn't happen and I say to myself "I definitely hit a button there  and nothing came out."

Holy shit, I did not realize missed inputs was a problem. There were several times in Elden Ring were I was absolutely sure I pressed dodge at the perfect time yet nothing happened. I chalked it up to maybe wireless lag or framerate issue, but mostly that I was a bad gamer. I don't feel so shitty now and will safely blame half my deaths on the controller issue.

14 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Holy shit, I did not realize missed inputs was a problem. There were several times in Elden Ring were I was absolutely sure I pressed dodge at the perfect time yet nothing happened. I chalked it up to maybe wireless lag or framerate issue, but mostly that I was a bad gamer. I don't feel so shitty now and will safely blame half my deaths on the controller issue.

I thought the same thing, then I went into the accessories menu where you can tweak your controller and test inputs. A good 10-15% of my A and B presses weren’t registering. 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I play wired and yeah it's definitely not a wireless thing.