Update: PlayStation VR2 to launch on 22 February 2023 (pre-orders begin on November 15) for $549.99/€599.99/£529.99

SaysWho?

38 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s arriving tomorrow :O

Gotta say after really enjoying GT7 last night I’m feeling more excited for this.

GT7 is incredible in VR. I like racing games well enough, they are whatever, I never spend a ton of time with sim racers. But this is just so goddamn good. 

• Shocked 2

53 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Stepee doesn't even drive a car so this should be thrilling for him!

Exactly!! A wheel isn’t out of the question if I enjoy it enough..

I’m looking at it on the oled now though and man it’s stunning no matter how you play it. It definitely looks a lot more impressive than Horizon 5 to me which I understand is open world and still looks fantastic, but as far as looking like irl this takes the cake.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Exactly!! A wheel isn’t out of the question if I enjoy it enough..

I’m looking at it on the oled now though and man it’s stunning no matter how you play it. It definitely looks a lot more impressive than Horizon 5 to me which I understand is open world and still looks fantastic, but as far as looking like irl this takes the cake.

I thought H5 was the better game, Until I played GT7 in VR. 

Like, now I have no excitement for Motorsport 8 at all, VR  ruined regular racing games for me. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I thought H5 was the better game, Until I played GT7 in VR. 

Like, now I have no excitement for Motorsport 8 at all, VR  ruined regular racing games for me. 

I think I’ll probably feel H5 is a better game on a flat screen still too, but I don’t think preferred over this, unless I get tired of it quickly which I’ll probably never find out because of VR.

It’s more like I think Horizon has being getting better for other people since 3, and as a game I respect what it’s doing and can agree with that. But for me I seem to enjoy playing each one a little less, though some of that is due to location. I still put a lot of time in it but kind of aimlessly. I think there is just so much now I have trouble getting settled into a solid gameplay loop of which I’m sure there are several but I always just end up all over the place.

This just seems super focused with a very simple solid core gameplay loop and an easy mode that works well for me. Everything is clean and nice to look at, the UI is great, I always know what I want to do next. I think after so much Horizon and after Horizon itself adding so much, this feels like a breath of fresh air.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

How long is the usb cable?

A good question I’d like to know too. My ps5 is in a pretty good location actually to where I should be able to really hobble around.

Also do you play GT7 with the new controllers or just use a dualsense?

1 hour ago, stepee said:

A good question I’d like to know too. My ps5 is in a pretty good location actually to where I should be able to really hobble around.

Also do you play GT7 with the new controllers or just use a dualsense?

Dualsense only, does not support PSVR controllers.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

Okay the same length as the quest 2 extended cable, nice, that is enough to cover my living room essentially since the ps5 is already at the center of it and the side of my living room is where I have my vr walk around space.

extensions work as well, but they need to be a certain high quality version. I haven't looked into it, but I know they exist and work. 

Out for delivery let’s gooooo - I think i’ll actually try the demo of RE8 first and see if I really want to buy it again since I already beat it and there’s other stuff that could be fun instead. GT7, Moss 2, and Horizon will surely hold me over until Switchback next week but I still might pick up one or two more up. I really want Windlands 2 also but I don’t think that’s on psvr2 yet tho it’s announced.

• Halal 1

I haven't been into racing games in a long time, but I've really gotten into watching racing the last few years and have been really considering buying a wheel and giving it a try. I've now gone from skipping GT7 to considering spending $1000 between the PSVR2 and a wheel. Between all the racing and video game things I watch, YouTube has really decided to keep putting GT7 VR videos in front of me constantly. The fact that I keep playing so much Destiny is basically the only thing holding me back.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Out for delivery let’s gooooo - I think i’ll actually try the demo of RE8 first and see if I really want to buy it again since I already beat it and there’s other stuff that could be fun instead. GT7, Moss 2, and Horizon will surely hold me over until Switchback next week but I still might pick up one or two more up. I really want Windlands 2 also but I don’t think that’s on psvr2 yet tho it’s announced.

Pavlov is the game.

especially the “Among Us” mode 😂 

57 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Pavlov is the game.

especially the “Among Us” mode 😂 

Not really my thing, I tried the side quest version and don’t really feel like any more than that. I’m going to get something nice and colorful I think or something more arcadey. Wish I didn’t have Pistol Whip on Q2.

Update tho: It’s here! That was fast! Also RE Village just went on sale for $20 on the shop so that was an instant buy then.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

Oh yeah RE: Village is rad in VR. It’s like RE4 Quest 2 but with graphics two generarions or so ahead. All the great modeling work in interiors looks so nice in VR. 

Biggest issue with it so far is that the flashing red when low on health is still there in VR and headache inducing. It’s like the ultimate version of one of my biggest why can’t they stop fucking doing this pet peeves. It’s rough before you get to craft your first health pack I was having a hard time seeing and concentrating with that and it kinda sucked balls. Hopefully I can keep health high enough that it won’t be a problem going further but let people turn that shit off my goodness.

Everything else ruled, those enemy’s are fucking terrifying looking in vr lol This is going to be so fun once it opens up and  becomes more of the action game that it is and blasting these fucks.

I do also wish they could figure out how to do all of the cutscenes also in vr, certain scenes are just shown like a movie playing which is weird.  Besides that though they really did a great job here and I hope Sony can convince many many more devs to create vr versions of their flat screen games. It’s okay to do it simple, even if it’s just playing with a gamepad still, sometimes when VR gets overly complex it’s not so great anyway, like I don’t like super realistic loading. I don’t want to perform things like I would irl. I want to be an action hero. Go for it if you want to as they can also be great but don’t let the idea that very specific super interactive controls are needed to add VR to your game. I’ll take simply the visual gain over nothing at all. Give me those AAA vr modes!

Rant aside I also played Rez and it’s gorgeous on this display and also a pretty cool demonstration of eye tracking for gameplay where you can set it so you just look at the targets to aim at them. I wish you didn’t need to turn your head in the Area X mode and could use analog though. But yeah it’s Rez and it rules and looks better than ever. I saw you can also put a dualsense gamepad on your lap for the full experience!

GT7 is fucking amazing and I literally smiled non stop during my first real race. At one point as I’m speeding ahead and look in the rear view mirror and see the other cars riding my tail I just started laughing hard at the sheer ridiculousness of how impressive the whole experience was. The sense of speed of speed is phenomenal in VR, you can really feel it. I seriously might consider a racing wheel for my birthday now and I’m rethinking my statement that this launch lacked a killer app. And just my entire idea of GT7 as a game now has completely flipped around as well, I didn’t realize how good it was, @Biggie never told me!

All in all first impressions are super positive. The one negative I have that is more general is the default sit down barrier is too small. I don’t sit around a bunch of shit, I can lean in and stuff, don’t stop me with a barrier 5 inches out. You might be able to change this but I couldn’t find a way in quick settings. On my Quest 2 I would turn it off. Sitting is when I don’t need that protection!

Everything else is good, it’s the most comfy headset I’ve tried myself, moving from a Quest 2, it feels like the pressure around my nose and forehead is gone. It feels nice and comfy and not suffocating.

I love how it’s like all sealed with no big light leakage spot on the bottom like Quest 2. That’s how virtual boy was even and I always hated how in all oculus headsets I have you can see the outside world easily by looking down. It hurts with the immersion for me and you can probably buy a special face mask for Q2 now to block that I bet but I’m glad that’s fixed here by default.

The display is gorgeous and it’s great to go back to oled. It is plenty bright especially with hdr, and with some AAA games here, the sensation of sunlight hitting things on your peripheral vision is something I’m noticing here in a way I hadn’t before in VR and it’s super immersive. 

The eye tracking is cool and works well, I haven’t seen anything in game besides Rez for controls though. I don’t know if any psvr game has a character that tracks your eyes, that would be the most interesting thing with it to me, they don’t do that in RE, I’m sure it’s doing stuff I haven’t noticed yet. Oh and using it to help calibrate the display focus is fantastic though!

The screen overall seems sharper than the Q2, I don’t know if it is honestly I haven’t looked at the tech specs lol, I assumed it would be the same but it seems sharper. Or maybe just the games are rendered sharper. I could look tit up before posting this but I won’t. The pass through mode is way sharper too though, like i can read the time on my phone which I can’t on the Q2. But maybe the cameras are just higher res. Idk the point is that everything is sharper than I expected which was a pleasant surprise. People on resetera must have been expecting something crazy from some of the complaining I’ve seen there.

I like being able to see my phone a little bit though that rules. I bet the passthrough on Quest Pro is super cool, even just it being sharper here, it’s so cool to see this kind of equivalent to advanced AR, I bet it’s awesome in color. Too bad that’s all I want from that unit though, I just hope we get a good AR device soon.

Anyway now I’m ranting but that’s the best way I can sum up my initial impression: It was exciting enough to make my brain go a million miles an hour thinking of the future.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

The eye tracking is cool and works well, I haven’t seen anything in game besides Rez for controls though. I don’t know if any psvr game has a character that tracks your eyes, that would be the most interesting thing with it to me, they don’t do that in RE, I’m sure it’s doing stuff I haven’t noticed yet. Oh and using it to help calibrate the display focus is fantastic though!

I believe the bow aiming is aim assisted by where you're looking in Horizon, but don't quote me on that. Seems like a smart idea.

• Thanks 1

Just now, legend said:

I believe the bow aiming is aim assisted by where you're looking in Horizon, but don't quote me on that. Seems like a smart idea.

I did just sneak a little Horizon but just the opening before you get to shoot anything, will definitely check it out tomorrow! Definitely lots of cool possibilities with it in the future, can’t wait to see what devs do. It took like 5 seconds of using the eye tracking for selecting menus that I’m already completely over moving a cursor around in menus in all other games.

The scale in Horizon is insane, seeing the dinobots in person, they seem even larger than I imagined. If they can keep up the awe of that opening for 7 hours I don’t care if I’m freaking sewing baskets the whole time just give me robo dino’s going crazy all over my face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

7 hours ago, legend said:

If you have gaze tracking on, the bow aim is assisted.

also, @stepeefor sitting, just add your chair to your standing play area, and then adjust the floor height until it allows you the view of standing while you’re sitting. It’s really easy to change most of the settings.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it overall.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I did just sneak a little Horizon but just the opening before you get to shoot anything, will definitely check it out tomorrow! Definitely lots of cool possibilities with it in the future, can’t wait to see what devs do. It took like 5 seconds of using the eye tracking for selecting menus that I’m already completely over moving a cursor around in menus in all other games.

The scale in Horizon is insane, seeing the dinobots in person, they seem even larger than I imagined. If they can keep up the awe of that opening for 7 hours I don’t care if I’m freaking sewing baskets the whole time just give me robo dino’s going crazy all over my face.

Some of the stuff in Horizon is incredible. It just gets better as you fight crazier machines, even though the combat is simple and on rails. 

I need 2 trophies to platinum the game now. I need to beat Aloy’s archery score (my best js 2nd) in the competition section, and a few signal beacons I missed. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

If you have gaze tracking on, the bow aim is assisted.

also, @stepeefor sitting, just add your chair to your standing play area, and then adjust the floor height until it allows you the view of standing while you’re sitting. It’s really easy to change most of the settings.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it overall.

I figured it would be something like that and that should largely resolve the issue. Though I just know from experience with Q2 when moving stuff around or sitting in a different area with it, it’s nice to have the temporary stationary mode allow you to jus turn off the barrier for quick pick up and play so I hope they add that. It should also be stationary mode for sit or stand, Im not sure why it has to be sit only. Not a big deal though I’m sure once I get it set in room mode.

One thing I’ll say too and I don’t know if it has anything to do with the headset itself but I played for 90min straight without taking it off between Rez and Re8 and took a brief pot break then did some GT7 so about 2 hours and didn’t any bad get motion sickness. So I was relieved by that, I was afraid RE8 especially would be hard but maybe just my vr legs are still in tact after being on a break since my Q2  started giving me issues.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The vr showroom is soo good 

I need to check that out tonight, I’ve only done a couple races. Today is definitely one of those work days where I would pay someone my salary for the day if it could get me off work to just play.

Ok yeah the vr showroom for GT7 is rad. The cafe is my favorite. You don’t unlock more showrooms do you? It’s the reflections that really sell the realistic look on the cars to me, even if it’s not RT I’m not used to that level of reflection in Vr and then along with the lighting yeah it’s sweet.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Ok yeah the vr showroom for GT7 is rad. The cafe is my favorite. You don’t unlock more showrooms do you? It’s the reflections that really sell the realistic look on the cars to me, even if it’s not RT I’m not used to that level of reflection in Vr and then along with the lighting yeah it’s sweet.

I think there is just the one, but I'm not that far into the game, honestly. Collection level 12 or so. 

I was wrong about Star Wars @stepee Once I dove into the settings and set my preferences, and got rid of snap turning, as well as turning on sticky hold (holding a button to hold your gun is foolish) I really liked it. Once I dove in, I beat the demo for the first time, had a blast, and bought game. It's downloading now, I need to try some more later.

It looks good for what it is. It's fun shooting at the empire, it's all robots and storm storm troopers so far, and it's very star wars, so you don't need to be really accurate with your gun lol 

I need to try the demo again, I was having issues with the height while sitting down. Some parts look good but the distant background being 2D really stands out and some of the texture work still seems to have its roots on Q2 which is like somewhere between ps2 and ps3 quality. But I love star wars for VR so I’ll try it again later.