Update: PlayStation VR2 to launch on 22 February 2023 (pre-orders begin on November 15) for $549.99/€599.99/£529.99

SaysWho?

Played another level of Switchback and yeah this is fantastic. That level was definitely just as good as anything in Rush of Blood. Some awesome moments that were definitely scary af in vr while high.

Supermassive has also acknowledged how it’s too blurry and say it’s due to a bug (I doubt it but my guess is they finally realized now they need to use foveated rendering which for some reason they previously said they didn’t need?) and that it will be fixed in a patch.  Hopefully they look at the pop in too sometimes it’s so bad I think it must be a bug.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Played another level of Switchback and yeah this is fantastic. That level was definitely just as good as anything in Rush of Blood. Some awesome moments that were definitely scary af in vr while high.

Supermassive has also acknowledged how it’s too blurry and say it’s due to a bug (I doubt it but my guess is they finally realized now they need to use foveated rendering which for some reason they previously said they didn’t need?) and that it will be fixed in a patch.  Hopefully they look at the pop in too sometimes it’s so bad I think it must be a bug.

Those were my biggest problems, blurryness, and extreme pop in. If they fix those I’ll definitely pick it up and try again, because the gameplay loop is good and fun, but my pop in was so bad it destroyed the experience. Whole zombies just appear as I turn.

I beat Star Wars, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it’s probably no real difference from PCVR, except improved graphics. Its Star Wars, so you don’t need to be a great shot lol. I had fun.

Also played a little Zenith, which is actually fun, but has horribly character animations and weird graphics bugs when looking at other players. 

Honestly I’ve probably been playing this too much I’m pretty sure I should be letting my eyes rest more. I’ve gotten a few more games since Switchback (which I’m loving about half way through) - Vacation Simulator (i’ve been wanting this for a long time and just never pulled the trigger on Quest, it’s a lot of fun and looks so wonderfully colorful on the oled), Kayak Simulator (fun relaxing experience that is the most lifelike thing in VR perhaps), and bought Pistol Whip even though I have that on Quest 2 but so had to see it on this display and I missed playing it and yeah it is mesmerizing on the psvr2 display. Got sucked into it more than ever with the increased fov too.

Tetris Effect which I updated for $10 as I had that one on psvr is another one that just looks so much more immersive on here than when I played it before.

Also scary dark scenes work so well here with the oled some parts or Switchback use that to good effect and are terrifying.

Also I got a charger for the vr2 controllers because that’s been a pain in the ass: 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

- seems to do the trick so far.

• Shocked 1

Waiting to download Walking Dead 1&2, so looking forward to that once I get home this afternoon. 

Tetris Effect is pretty good, you can really get in the zone playing VR. I had upgraded that and Fez. 

If you have flight sticks, Awesome Asteroids is a ton of fun. It's awful with the controllers too.

I'm holding off on Switchback for a while, until they patch it, which the Dev said they are working on. It's weird, but from what im reading, some peoples problems are worse than others. Mine were extreme, the pop-in was bad, and it didn't seem like foveated rendering was working with it or something. I had to move my whole head to see anything, I could only had any clarity in the center. But i'll definitely play it once they get it fixed. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Ok, Saints and Sinners 2 is excellent. Definitely recommend it. 

lol I wanted to check it out on my day off (i need to start with the first one) but they had a stupid glitch so the bundle of both games wasn’t on the store :(

I heard it looks AMAZING like they nailed the foveated rendering or something and looks extremely high res. Excited to try it out.

Soooo glad I rebought pistol whip it looks phenomenal here and it’s just so damn good.

I tried to see if I could get Saints and Sinners loaded before I went in to work but the bundle is still not there! It’s such a shitty launch for this, they haven’t put the first chapter in the psvr2 section yet even, it’s only on the main page, and they want $50 for the complete edition? I thought the bundle was just $60 and that’s what seemed like a reasonable price for both. They had the launch date for this as the 20th and it all just came rolling out yesterday in this weird way. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I tried to see if I could get Saints and Sinners loaded before I went in to work but the bundle is still not there! It’s such a shitty launch for this, they haven’t put the first chapter in the psvr2 section yet even, it’s only on the main page, and they want $50 for the complete edition? I thought the bundle was just $60 and that’s what seemed like a reasonable price for both. They had the launch date for this as the 20th and it all just came rolling out yesterday in this weird way. 

Devs acting kinda shady, but they say the bundle should be back so just wait it out for now…

From the devs yesterday on Twitter “Apologies for these unexpected technical difficulties regarding the store page. The PSVR 2 Bundle should be visible to players relatively soon, at latest by tomorrow.”

10 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Devs acting kinda shady, but they say the bundle should be back so just wait it out for now…

From the devs yesterday on Twitter “Apologies for these unexpected technical difficulties regarding the store page. The PSVR 2 Bundle should be visible to players relatively soon, at latest by tomorrow.”

Yeah with the pricing as it is now where getting the contents of the deluxe version (tourist and payback upgrades are included too) would cost you $100 it seems like they almost decided to remove it at the last minute to up the price for first timers.

Edit: I did get a quick round of pistol whip in while I had the headset on before heading to the office though, you get in so fast to the game and don’t need to turn the tv on, it really is just as convenient as quest besides the one wire, which isn’t a big deal it turns out. Getting rid of all the move shit was the important thing and the 500 cables and break out box. One cable is fine.

59 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Saints & Sinners bundle is back up.

STORE.PLAYSTATION.COM

Pre-order now to get the following digital combo content • The Chosen • The Blessing • Fat Tuesday • The Judge • The Sheriff • The National Guard Knife • Demon Shelf •...

Nice! This is a deal I can get behind, I was afraid the $60 price was a mistake or something. 

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

Is this a good vr beginner friendly game? I'm still getting my legs.

I don’t think so actually because it’s a full movement game. Pistol Whip is super vr beginner friendly Id say.

• Like 1

I played the opening of Saints and Sinners Ch1 up to the base and it does look fantastic. I actually played up to this point in pc but I didn’t enjoy it there because I couldn’t get wireless streaming working right without a constant stutter every 10 seconds on Win11 which is a bug that to my knowledge Meta never fixed.

Actually thinking of that it kinda explains why I’ve been so taken by this more than I expected, I was pretty unhappy with my Quest 2. When wireless streaming broke and never got fixed it just really made me down on the whole thing, it felt like a big component missing.

Then I tried getting the cable for pc direct connection and it was so damn bulky of a cord and it felt like it was tugging it the way it connected. But the quality over it was somehow worse than streaming using virtual desktop and looked like a stream to me, not native.

So then finally I decided I’ll just play native games and got a couple new games to get back into it and that’s when it no longer would charge all the way and wouldn’t charge while in use so there was no way to play longer than like 90 minutes without charging it and at that point I just didn’t use it.

That is a very long way to say that this was so much more enjoyable than my experience on Quest 2 and I’m glad I’m giving it a second chance here because man even just in the tutorial stabbing enemies feels almost too good. The weight and how it gets stuck and you need to yank it out. Probably a great stress release game later on when you have a lot of weapons and can mess around.

But yeah I got really down on the Quest 2 and  forgot how much I enjoy VR for a bit so I’m really glad I got this thing. I’d still like a new pc headset too and to play Alyx but ideally it would just be on this one. I see you can use it as a monitor now, maybe it could happen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 2

57 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Yeah, the S&S experience on Quest 2 compared to PSVR 2 doesn’t even feel like the same game.

The haptics, the OLED black levels, the graphical fidelity, the 90 Hz smoothness, PSVR 2 for the win…

And that combined with the 110 degree fov vs 90 on the Quest 2! Everything together really sucks you in differently. Too often on Q2 I would feel like I was peering in a viewer, this headset makes me feel more inside the game. Which is probably the best compliment I can give a vr headset.

WHY is the PSVR2 not being sold in retail stores? I'm ready to give this a shot but I want to buy it at Best Buy so that my Total Tech membership covers it for 2 years automatically and most importantly gives me 60 days to return anything, thus plenty of time to see if this is something I want long term!?  I can not understand why it's only sold at sony's stores?? Oh well I will wait this out.....

20 minutes ago, HardAct said:

WHY is the PSVR2 not being sold in retail stores? I'm ready to give this a shot but I want to buy it at Best Buy so that my Total Tech membership covers it for 2 years automatically and most importantly gives me 60 days to return anything, thus plenty of time to see if this is something I want long term!?  I can not understand why it's only sold at sony's stores?? Oh well I will wait this out.....

It’s sooo dumb. I went to Best Buy after I got it figuring maybe at least they’d have some accessories so I could get a charger for the controllers and they didn’t even have that or any psvr2 games. It’s really bizarre. It’s such an awful launch for such a great product. 

• True 1

33 minutes ago, HardAct said:

I imagine they have a projected demand after their preorders clearly underwhelmed them, and they prefer to get every penny they can with each sale. 

On 3/22/2023 at 7:54 PM, stepee said:

I played the opening of Saints and Sinners Ch1 up to the base and it does look fantastic. I actually played up to this point in pc but I didn’t enjoy it there because I couldn’t get wireless streaming working right without a constant stutter every 10 seconds on Win11 which is a bug that to my knowledge Meta never fixed.

Actually thinking of that it kinda explains why I’ve been so taken by this more than I expected, I was pretty unhappy with my Quest 2. When wireless streaming broke and never got fixed it just really made me down on the whole thing, it felt like a big component missing.

Then I tried getting the cable for pc direct connection and it was so damn bulky of a cord and it felt like it was tugging it the way it connected. But the quality over it was somehow worse than streaming using virtual desktop and looked like a stream to me, not native.

So then finally I decided I’ll just play native games and got a couple new games to get back into it and that’s when it no longer would charge all the way and wouldn’t charge while in use so there was no way to play longer than like 90 minutes without charging it and at that point I just didn’t use it.

That is a very long way to say that this was so much more enjoyable than my experience on Quest 2 and I’m glad I’m giving it a second chance here because man even just in the tutorial stabbing enemies feels almost too good. The weight and how it gets stuck and you need to yank it out. Probably a great stress release game later on when you have a lot of weapons and can mess around.

But yeah I got really down on the Quest 2 and  forgot how much I enjoy VR for a bit so I’m really glad I got this thing. I’d still like a new pc headset too and to play Alyx but ideally it would just be on this one. I see you can use it as a monitor now, maybe it could happen!

Knocks on wood

JESUS, I've had my quest 2 running non stop, swapping batteries for over 2 years and never had a problem. People think im crazy never turning the thing off. Almost never had an issue. Im surprised when I hear issues like this. Also never had issues with VD, do you have a good router? Sometimes Oculus link works better for some. Might be determined on the brand of router. I must have gotten lucky with my headset, the thing is a beast. Super reliable.  

47 minutes ago, Stickey said:

Knocks on wood

JESUS, I've had my quest 2 running non stop, swapping batteries for over 2 years and never had a problem. People think im crazy never turning the thing off. Almost never had an issue. Im surprised when I hear issues like this. Also never had issues with VD, do you have a good router? Sometimes Oculus link works better for some. Might be determined on the brand of router. I must have gotten lucky with my headset, the thing is a beast. Super reliable.  

The connection is fine it’s a stutter on the software end, it used to also seem to be mitigated by having the debug open but that didn’t work last i tried. It’s this:  https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/sgy568/oculus_quest_2_stuttering_fix_for_windows_11_and/  

You can go down a whole rabbit hole on it but nothing I found ever fully resolved it on Win11. Maybe it’s fixed now finally for all I know but I’m not even going to bother trying anymore on that headset. I might try to fix the battery thing when I have time to at least give it to someone or something. 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Sony really needs to add some VR media outside of gaming. There's plenty of good stuff out there, short films, Vader Immortal VR, stuff like that. 

Yes please! I love that stuff! I would love to see short films with hdr and such.

I feel guilty ignoring my vr2 all weekend but RE4 is just too good. I’ll be back to my after work sessions now though. Also while playing RE4 I kept thinking at certain moments how awesome thats going to be when it comes to this.

• Halal 1

Just now, stepee said:

Yes please! I love that stuff! I would love to see short films with hdr and such.

I feel guilty ignoring my vr2 all weekend but RE4 is just too good. I’ll be back to my after work sessions now though. Also while playing RE4 I kept thinking at certain moments how awesome thats going to be when it comes to this.

Eh, its not going anywhere. Im using it a lot right now, but mostly, it’s a toy for when good games/experiences come out.

what amazes me is that they haven’t ported Astrobots Rescue Mission for this. It seems so ridiculous.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That’s a sin I’ll never forgive. Killing Studio Japan shocked the shit out of me.

I was streaming some Gravity Rush 2 to deck the other day and I would murder a small town in order to get a pc port of that. It would look so awesome in 4k/120. Or…imagine if they didn’t kill then and we got Gravity Rush VR :(

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I was streaming some Gravity Rush 2 to deck the other day and I would murder a small town in order to get a pc port of that. It would look so awesome in 4k/120. Or…imagine if they didn’t kill then and we got Gravity Rush VR :(

What could have been.

Pavlov’s Trouble in Terror Town, which is basically just Among Us with head shots, is the most fun i’ve ever had in multiplayer.

when you hear an eastern European guy with a Sherlock hat and underwear screaming, “I AM THE DETECTIVE, I AM THE DETECTIVE” you have truly lived. 

06d7d027566eb5182777213b75f67737
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

(Bloomberg) -- Sony Group Corp. is projected to sell fewer than 300,000 PlayStation VR2 headsets in its first weeks on the market, a slow start for company efforts to take a leading role in development of the metaverse.

The Tokyo-based console maker is likely to sell about 270,000 units of the PSVR2 between its Feb. 22 release and the end of March, according to estimates from the research firm IDC.

Sony had a lofty goal of making about 2 million units for the PSVR2’s launch window, Bloomberg News reported last year.