Update: PlayStation VR2 to launch on 22 February 2023 (pre-orders begin on November 15) for $549.99/€599.99/£529.99

SaysWho?

Just now, Brian said:

With no mid generation console refresh or a Switch 2 on the horizon, I got the new electronic itch real bad right now. I went to Target to get some items and I checked the PS section to be safe. 

If you have the spare income then buy it. It's fuckin awesome and you'll have a blast.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

If you have the spare income then buy it. It's fuckin awesome and you'll have a blast.

If it had Astrobot 2 at launch, I would. Right now, it’s in that weird territory where I will buy it on impulse if I can play with it immediately. @stepee seems to understand. 

• Like 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Does ps extra have ps vr2 games you can play? Something were I could subscribe and briefly try a bunch of different vr games would be appealing to me too.

There are a bunch of demos you can try, and a few upgrades for things like Rez and the like for 10$, but I don't think any of the psvr2 games are on PSWhatever yet, . 

• Sad 1

Man, RE8 VR is intense. Especially with the pulse 3d headset (the buds that come with PSVR are awful). the atmosphere is absolutely incredible. Like, if you don't really love horror, this ain't for you. It's frightening. The sounds, the shadows, the creaking, things you barely notice while playing on TV. I really hope they upgrade RE7 as well. 

And damn, Lady D got some booty in VR. Those teeth, though. 

First impressions.

Very impressive. The image quality was quite good and there was no screen door effect. Everything ran very smooth too. I was quite impressed even with just the pass through. It's a grainy image, but the latency was very low and I could easily move around my environment and pick things up in pass through mode. It's also cool that the headset highlights your controllers when you're looking at them.

I did fuss with the alignment a bit. I think I can probably still get it settled a bit better than I have. Largely everything is clear, but if text is off to the side, I can see some blurring. It's also fairly important where you have the headset rest on your head. If you fasten it too high or low. you get some vertical blurring. 

I tried GT7 and Horizon Call of the Mountain in VR. It's impressive how much faster everything feels in GT7 when you're in VR and being able to look to the side as you pull into turns or glance in your mirrors feels really good.

In Horizon, the sense of scale in VR is really something else. I've played both Horizon games extensively, but the size of the robots really hits different in VR. The mountains and whole world similarly feel so much bigger. I've enjoyed doing all kind of dumb interaction with random objects too.

The eye tracking works great and I really like how that's used not just for foveated rendering, but as part of the interface to the games. Really lowers the barrier of entry.

I did get some dizziness playing and so I only played for an hour last night. I'm hoping if I keep playing I can get my VR legs though, because everything otherwise is really impressive and I've heard it does get better the more you use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, legend said:

First impressions.

Very impressive. The image quality was quite good and there was no screen door effect. Everything ran very smooth too. I was quite impressed even with just the pass through. It's a grainy image, but the latency was very low and I could easily move around my environment and pick things up in pass through mode. It's also cool that the headset highlights your controllers when you're looking at them.

I did fuss with the alignment a bit. I think I can probably still get it settled a bit better than I have. Largely everything is clear, but if text is off to the side, I can see some blurring. It's also fairly important where you have the headset rest on your head. If you fasten it too high or low. you get some vertical blurring. 

I tried GT7 and Horizon Call of the Mountain in VR. It's impressive how much faster everything feels in GT7 when you're in VR and being able to look to the side as you pull into turns or glance in your mirrors feels really good.

In Horizon, the sense of scale in VR is really something else. I've played both Horizon games extensively, but the size of the robots really hits different in VR. The mountains and whole world similarly feel so much bigger. I've enjoyed doing all kind of dumb interaction with random objects too.

The eye tracking works great and I really like how that's used not just for foveated rendering, but as part of the interface to the games. Really lowers the barrier of entry.

I did get some dizziness playing and so I only played for an hour last night. I'm hoping if I keep playing I can get my VR legs though, because everything otherwise is really impressive and I've heard it does get better the more you use it.

The only game that gave me any motion sickness is star wars. 
the combat in CotM is simple, but aton of fun. But one of my favourite parts of that game? Just letting muself fall from massive heights!  I’m a bit over it now, but the first time was incredible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

First impressions.

Did you play sitting down?

2 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

Did you play sitting down?

I did. I have some room to walk but not a lot. Might help for horizon, but In GT I don’t think standing will help :p

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I believe this is legends first vr so i think it’s just going to take him a bit, an hour is a lot to start with imo!

Correct! Unless you count google cardboard and trying other VR elsewhere for brief periods of time :p

2 hours ago, legend said:

I did. I have some room to walk but not a lot. Might help for horizon, but In GT I don’t think standing will help :p

Correct! Unless you count google cardboard and trying other VR elsewhere for brief periods of time :p

Okay cool, I think I'm going to buy it myself. It'll be my first VR also and I was actually waiting for you to give your impressions before I pulled the trigger. Wish me luck!

• Hugs 1

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The only game that gave me any motion sickness is star wars. 
the combat in CotM is simple, but aton of fun. But one of my favourite parts of that game? Just letting muself fall from massive heights!  I’m a bit over it now, but the first time was incredible.

I get a bit queasy from falling in normal gaming, pretty sure I’m losing my lunch if I do this in VR.

• Haha 1

So I fired up Call of the Mountain, and in the menu screen where you can start a new game, continue, etc, there was a new option. VR Safari. And I don't know if it was patched in or I missed it completely. 

It brings you through a huge VR safari of all the Horizon: Zero Dawn Dinobots as they tromp the forest as you canoe down the stream with one of the games major npc's. It's an absolutely incredible experience. This game isn't just  climbing simulator. It isn't Half Life: Alyx, but damn it's still a lot of fun. But Jesus you end up twisting your body into weird positions even though you're not really climbing. 

I haven't beaten it yet, I've done 3 missions, not because I don't want to play it more, but because I've been jumping around trying different stuff.

Cactus Cowboy is free, stupid, and a lot of fun as well, @legend. It's certainly no showpiece, but it's absolutely a fun game. 

Edit: And the finale of the Safari. Wow. It's just a boat ride, but damn what an incredibly well crafted experience. 

• Thanks 2

Also @legend for CotM play in standing mode while sitting. You can adjust your floor height. Just make your playspace to include all of the furniture you want to sit in. then you can adjust floor height so you're at eye level of everything else. 

little tricks I found. 

Although I gotta say, CotM is way more fun standing. if you can create the room. And you can create the room anywhere because after setup you don't need a tv. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hurricane Game said:

Okay cool, I think I'm going to buy it myself. It'll be my first VR also and I was actually waiting for you to give your impressions before I pulled the trigger. Wish me luck!

just understand that you aren't going to be playing games in 4k. I've seen a few people online have some ridiculous expectations. Like they literally thought they would be playing 4k vr and whine on reddit. 

14 hours ago, legend said:

I worry about this the most with VR. If this gets Half life Alex I'll bite. It's a bit expensive right now and I've been really bad with money this year already, but if it gets some smash must halves I'll jump on it. Quest 3 has got to be pretty close too, maybe early next year?

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

I worry about this the most with VR. If this gets Half life Alex I'll bite. It's a bit expensive right now and I've been really bad with money this year already, but if it gets some smash must halves I'll jump on it. Quest 3 has got to be pretty close too, maybe early next year?

if the whole quest division doesn't go up in smoke. I'm actually surprised investors haven't forced it's closure after 14b in losses. 

The views are pretty incredible. 

I know it's hard to see anything special in flat screen, but

ydC4ygJ.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Dreadblade81.

Also, they let you paint:

2UvyN5G.jpeg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Dreadblade81.

• Like 1

I realize how expensive this is for a VR headset, but I think it's worth it. 

The silicone halo seems to be hit or miss, I really like it, but others find it uncomfortable. The Sense controllers are excellent. I do wish the PS button was slightly more raised, something about finding it on the right controller really annoys me, but I have no problem with the left, so I use that one almost exclusively except for turning them on, where you need to use both. 

I've had none of the reported problems with one of the controllers disconnecting, and apparently you plug it in and it fixes it, but I have no idea if it reoccurs, it hasn't happened with me. They won't work if there isn't as much light though. The headset tracking absolutely doesn't work in the dark, but it doesn't need a ton of light. 

Call of the Mountain is absolutely a full game. Yes, it's a lot of climbing, but it's fun, and the combat and world is a blast. It has multiple challenge modes (where you need to beat the scores of other game characters, like Aloys archery score on the archery course). The game begins just as Aloy is leaving for the west at the beginning of the second game, and you play one of the shadow carja. You make your own arrows and build a bunch of tools, and you get to do some incredible types of climbing. But the battles are incredible. Some of them have some weird positioning, but man it's intense. I think you fight all of the major dinobots from the first game except the deer (though I still killed one) and the snapjaw. And I still have a couple more missions, so he might still be there, but I doubt it. Except for one short part, they keep you away from water. It's just upward and onward. It's the usual adventure stuff, something is always broken, so you either need to climb around it, or climb to fix it, but it's just fun. And it's long. At least if you explore and look at everything, anyway. 

GT7 racing is special, but man, that game is a bloated mess of options and shit like the cafe. I love the gameplay, but I hate so much else about the car collecting and the way circuits are cockblocked by the cafe progression just pisses me off. But the gameplay, when you're in the car, is the greatest racing game there is. VR just adds so much for it. 

Pavlov is the other standout. There's a lot of good shooters, but this is by far the best. The gameplay is a blast. I saw a clip the other day that was genius (might even have been here) but this guy goes up to a player who switched cartridges, but didn't reload. He pulled out the guys magazine, lets him try to shoot him, then puts one point blank in his head. It was brilliant and the kind of weird but creative gameplay that makes the game so much fun. Especially when it's pout of nowhere and you don't see it coming. 

• Like 2
  • Halal 2

SO......?

Apparently this is only sold through Playstation's website? I would like to buy / try it using Best Buy as I'm a total Tech member thus get 60 days on my electronics to return then. Never ever even having a VP unit on my head I don't know just how well I will like it. I have searched a few times and havone ONLY seren this for sale on PSwebsite?