US House votes to codify obergefell (legalizing same sex marriage) into law. Every democrat and only 47 republicans voted for it. 8 republicans voted with all dems to protect right to contraception

201003172050-05-trump-covid-circle-thom-
WWW.CNN.COM

Republican and Democratic senators said Wednesday they expect a bill to codify same-sex marriage to eventually win the 60 votes needed to break a filibuster, a sign of growing public acceptance and a sea change over an issue that had once badly divided the two parties.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

So how do you start the process to abolish the senate anyway? That seems like it would be popular since literally nobody thinks that particular system hasn’t completely failed. 

The “easier” path requires constitutional amendments to reduce the power of the senate making it basically useless like the House of Lords in Westminster systems. A lot of people believe that abolishing the senate would require unanimous consent from the states because of one particular clause of the constitution. I personally don’t buy it (all new amendments supersede existing amendments or constitutional language) but it’s a widely held belief. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The “easier” path requires constitutional amendments to reduce the power of the senate making it basically useless like the House of Lords in Westminster systems. A lot of people believe that abolishing the senate would require unanimous consent from the states because of one particular clause of the constitution. I personally don’t buy it (all new amendments supersede existing amendments or constitutional language) but it’s a widely held belief. 

ok let’s try the first one

The problem is getting the required number of states on board and it just so happens the best tool low population states have to get what they want is the existence of the senate. 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Or she is an evil shit fuck and knows exactly what she’s doing.

Oh at times I think she is just being morally repugnant. But I also do think she's a dumb fucker. That goes for an unfortunately large fraction of our government officials as well.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The problem is getting the required number of states on board and it just so happens the best tool low population states have to get what they want is the existence of the senate. 

but bm told me we don’t need the states.

Just now, legend said:

Oh at times I think she is just being morally repugnant. But I also do think she's a dumb fucker. That goes for an unfortunately large fraction of our government officials as well.

True, as often as I wonder if these goobers are really plain evil or just that stupid the answer is likely just yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

but bm told me we don’t need the states.

He was talking about unanimous consent. You still need 38 states to ratify an amendment, so 13 small low population states are all you need to block any of the various means of amending the constitution will require a minimum of 38 states signing off.

Doesn't meant that they shouldn’t try! I think especially so for pushing popular agenda items. 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He was talking about unanimous consent. You still need 38 states to ratify an amendment, so 13 small low population states are all you need to block any of the various means of amending the constitution will require a minimum of 38 states signing off.

Doesn't meant that they shouldn’t try! I think especially so for pushing popular agenda items. 

Yeah, even given that it’s worth a shot since hating the senate is the one thing we all can agree on as a country.