US House votes to codify obergefell (legalizing same sex marriage) into law. Every democrat and only 47 republicans voted for it. 8 republicans voted with all dems to protect right to contraception

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Yeah, even given that it’s worth a shot since hating the senate is the one thing we all can agree on as a country. 

I think there is a marketing angle to push. Find those areas of policy where there is solid support and package that with the point that a reimagined congress makes every citizens voice count the same. Point out that both big red states like Texas and big blue states like California see their citizens have less of a say than voters in the low population states.

In the low population states that lean blue, point out that while they would give up some of the extra weight they have, more of the policies they like would be a reality with a legislative branch that was more of an actual democracy in how representation was handled.

This isn’t a short term project, but they should start somewhere if they actually want this stuff to happen at some point.

• b_m_b_m_b_m changed the title to US House votes to codify obergefell (legalizing same sex marriage) into law. Every democrat and only 47 republicans voted for it. 8 republicans voted with all dems to protect right to contraception
12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really, really don't see a "solution" to this situation, at least not in my lifetime.

Yep. Thinking of comparable situations (and will never be exactly the same situation by any means, but just to give an idea of timeframes) in the Jim Crow south which took over 80 years to start to fall apart, and Rhodesia where the <10% white minority ruled for almost 15 years after declaring independence from Britain. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:13 PM, ThreePi said:

Am I reading the title right? Did more Republicans vote to codify gay marriage than access to contraception?

I believe it was because the wording of giving money to women's health and contraception automatically gets translated to Planned Parenthood in Fox Newsease.  And they can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that PP is one of the major clinics for women to get these services in the US

5 minutes ago, Chadatog said:

I believe it was because the wording of giving money to women's health and contraception automatically gets translated to Planned Parenthood in Fox Newsease.  And they can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that PP is one of the major clinics for women to get these services in the US

Yeah, but contraceptives also play into the replacement narrative that's been gaining more and more appeal among Republican voters over the last decade or so.

GettyImages-1366136728-4x3-1.jpg?w=640
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

It may not be immediately obvious how the fight over abortion rights is tied to the “great replacement” theory — the debunked conspiracy theory promoted by some…

Yeah, this is a thing that goes back forever, but it's been gaining a lot of traction as of late. This is especially true since Republicans figured out a way to reword the theory so it'll appeal more to conservative voters that are maybe not as honest about their racism. You have three groups of racists on the right side now. Straight racists that are afraid of an America where whites are no longer a majority, even if they are still a plurality. Disillusioned racists that believe Democrats are trying to bring in more immigrants because immigrants vote for blue; unlike "real" Americans that love America and vote red. Racist sympathizers that are Captain Planet villains and are OK with some racism as long as there's a buck to be made. Anything that stops white women from having more babies is anathema to these people.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, but contraceptives also play into the replacement narrative that's been gaining more and more appeal among Republican voters over the last decade or so.

GettyImages-1366136728-4x3-1.jpg?w=640
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

It may not be immediately obvious how the fight over abortion rights is tied to the “great replacement” theory — the debunked conspiracy theory promoted by some…

Yeah, this is a thing that goes back forever, but it's been gaining a lot of traction as of late. This is especially true since Republicans figured out a way to reword the theory so it'll appeal more to conservative voters that are maybe not as honest about their racism. You have three groups of racists on the right side now. Straight racists that are afraid of an America where whites are no longer a majority, even if they are still a plurality. Disillusioned racists that believe Democrats are trying to bring in more immigrants because immigrants vote for blue; unlike "real" Americans that love America and vote red. Racist sympathizers that are Captain Planet villains and are OK with some racism as long as there's a buck to be made. Anything that stops white women from having more babies is anathema to these people.

My best friend told me this years ago and I didn’t believe her claims it was as widespread of a belief as it’s turned out to be. 

24 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

My best friend told me this years ago and I didn’t believe her claims it was as widespread of a belief as it’s turned out to be. 

The Nazis in Charlottesville were chanting "Jews will not replace us" while Tucker Carlson plays clips of Democratic leaders talking about Texas becoming purple due to changing demographics. Tucker plays that clip and follows it up with talk about a caravan of migrants trying to cross the border. However, he needs to hedge his speech to appease advertisers. That's why his great replacement push isn't about replacing whites, but about replacing "legacy Americans".

tucker-carlson-0407211.jpg
WWW.SALON.COM

Sure, Tucker's fave new term is an unsubtle euphemism for "white folks." But it's even more revealing than that

And then remember he's the most influential figure in right wing media.

• Guillotine 1
  • True 1

48 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The Nazis in Charlottesville were chanting "Jews will not replace us" while Tucker Carlson plays clips of Democratic leaders talking about Texas becoming purple due to changing demographics. Tucker plays that clip and follows it up with talk about a caravan of migrants trying to cross the border. However, he needs to hedge his speech to appease advertisers. That's why his great replacement push isn't about replacing whites, but about replacing "legacy Americans".

tucker-carlson-0407211.jpg
WWW.SALON.COM

Sure, Tucker's fave new term is an unsubtle euphemism for "white folks." But it's even more revealing than that

And then remember he's the most influential figure in right wing media.

Legacy American is the most apt term I’ve heard for these failures yet honestly.

• 1 month later...