Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | New Team Ninja Game From Producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) & Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne) - "DLC 3 | Upheaval in Jingxiang" trailer

Keyser_Soze

1 minute ago, thedarkstark said:

Its actually pretty easy (compared to similar games) if youre patient because you can hold block while attempting to parry and if you miss the window you will still block all but the big flashing red attacks. Parry window is also pretty huge, way more forgiving than souls games.

It  seems like you can beat it without parrying and simply dodging but dodging drains your stamina so it's definitely not the ideal way to play.

I'll try more out tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Ehh that's not necessarily true. They're certainly more comfortable for most of us since we're used to playing third-person action games that way, but I'd need to see some pretty compelling evidence to consider controller superior in any tangible way outside of Japanese devs (mostly) just sucking shit at making their KBM controls playable.

The PC has been home to many third-person action games over the years. Hell, Vindictus is a third-person action MMO and it works just fine, same with TERA, Black Desert, etc. Making your controls suck shit because you don't care is not the same as the control method itself being bad.

And this coming from someone who would never play a game like this on KBM. I really hate that devs keep getting a free pass for this bullshit. Just make your controls decent. Don't have the mouse go all crazy fast or slow (and don't have mouse acceleration on by default, it's an option for perverts), allow cursor and keyboard movement/selection in menus, allow players to bind whatever to whatever and you're good. It's really not that hard.

I don't disagree with you, just because no one would use KBM controls doesn't mean it should suck shit. But do we really need a comparison? First person = KBM. Third person = controller. I've just never had an easy time controlling via KBM in third person. Still, make the controls good regardless, no doubt. I'd be curious who would argue a preference for KBM controls in a third person game.

6 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Its actually pretty easy (compared to similar games) if youre patient because you can hold block while attempting to parry and if you miss the window you will still block all but the big flashing red attacks. Parry window is also pretty huge, way more forgiving than souls games.

It  seems like you can beat it without parrying and simply dodging but dodging drains your stamina so it's definitely not the ideal way to play.

This. The game emphasizes frequently in the beginning that guard is your savior and will protect against almost anything. I'd argue so far the game is kinder than Nioh is, and its parry system is definitely more forgiving than Sekiro so far. The parry window is very forgiving in this game. Nioh didn't give a shit about your feelings by comparison. I think this game will get cult status very quick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't disagree with you, just because no one would use KBM controls doesn't mean it should suck shit. But do we really need a comparison? First person = KBM. Third person = controller. I've just never had an easy time controlling via KBM in third person. Still, make the controls good regardless, no doubt. I'd be curious who would argue a preference for KBM controls in a third person game.

If a 3rd person game has aiming I'll switch between KBM and Controller if I have to aim, then switch the controller to walk around.

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | New Team Ninja Game From Producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) & Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne) | 03 March 2023 - Fextralife boss/build guides posted
10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If a 3rd person game has aiming I'll switch between KBM and Controller if I have to aim, then switch the controller to walk around.

Gigachads just do straight KBM. 

Or ya kno masochists do. I play this game with a controller due to no 32:9 support so OLED it is.

Also I glanced at weapon stats. Parry window is a stat represented on each weapon. It's super forgiving with swords but can change FYI.

Haha. I played more today and did halfway decent but then hit a road block. I don't have the patience for these types of games so I'll never play it again. 

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. It is quality stuff but I suck so bad that it's just not for me. It did seem more forgiving than a Souls game though.

Beating the demo for this game made me want to give Sekiro another shot (only played like 20 minutes when I first bought it). I made it to the first proper boss (butterfly) & good lord that game is a million times harder, she destroyed me. I like a challenge but not sure I have the patience or the reflexes for it any more.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

Beating the demo for this game made me want to give Sekiro another shot (only played like 20 minutes when I first bought it). I made it to the first proper boss (butterfly) & good lord that game is a million times harder, she destroyed me. I like a challenge but not sure I have the patience or the reflexes for it any more.

So I think somebody on another topic said you're not supposed to fight her first. I think you're supposed to fight Genichiro first and he pretty much trains you to beat everything else in the game. You master both the parry and the mikuru counter fighting Genichiro's two phases. Once you get past these two early encounters no matter who you beat first you should have the skills to pretty much beat the game. I promise you if you stay with it, the game will "click" and you'll be making progress in no time.

You Can Do It GIF by bubly

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So I think somebody on another topic said you're not supposed to fight her first. I think you're supposed to fight Genichiro first and he pretty much trains you to beat everything else in the game. You master both the parry and the mikuru counter fighting Genichiro's two phases. Once you get past these two early encounters no matter who you beat first you should have the skills to pretty much beat the game. I promise you if you stay with it, the game will "click" and you'll be making progress in no time.

You Can Do It GIF by bubly

I need to go back cuz Elden Ring dropped but let's just say the guardian ape is a boss I never want to have to beat again. Legit multiple days of playing to beat. I think it has cloud saves cuz I'm never gonna beat it. I don't mind replaying but a multiday boss is something I'd rather do on a new boss.

I've made it to Level 4 so far (the village at night time).

If there's one thing that's really starting to annoy me though is getting attacked with a "red attack" from off-screen. When you get in between the buildings and up against walls that camera really doesn't do you any favors. I've had to resort to using daggers to bait enemies into open areas.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've made it to Level 4 so far (the village at night time).

If there's one thing that's really starting to annoy me though is getting attacked with a "red attack" from off-screen. When you get in between the buildings and up against walls that camera really doesn't do you any favors. I've had to resort to using daggers to bait enemies into open areas.

Wouldnt be a team ninja game if you weren't getting attacked from off-screen.

• True 1

31 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nope, nope, nope. Tried this again and got my ass handed to me. I deleted it off my PS5. No time for that type of game with my shitty skills. 

I downloaded it again to give it another shot. Nope for me also. 

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm how many times did you fight him?

I dunno man. I just remember it took me over the course of 2-3 days of trying and quiting when I felt I was too frustrated. Not because I felt frustrated but I wantes to do something else.

I am a masochist cuz only a masochist would keep playing willingly Soulsborne games. Like the 2nd stage of the Lo Wong's like General of Man boss is very winnable. I know how to play the game and just need to learn how to beat him. I figured out how to beat the Ape and could win but needed to be good enough to survive a different enough 2nd stage I have to figure out how to survive fighting it before I could beat it. So ya 2-3 days of frustration. I left off at a big story spoiler boss and enough time has past that I might not be able to beat him without similar or more effort.

Be satisfying to do not gonna lie so I should try.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Should I give it more time? 

I mean, it really depends. It took me a couple of hours to "figure it out", but once I did, I truly enjoyed it. Especially once I learned to deflect attacks. I don't think it's anywhere nearly as challenging as Sekiro, which it reminded me of at first. 

Now that said, i'm not saying this is a 10/10, must play Elden Ring type experience. I think it's better than Nioh, but it's no FromSoft game. In fact, so far I think there's too large of disparity between regular enemies and boss enemies. They challenge of the basic yellow scarf bandits don't do a lot to prepare you for that first boss fight, but overall I think the movement and sword play is very, very good. It just took a while to hit. Also, to be fair to it, I was balls deep in VR when I tried it, and probably didn't give myself a real chance to get used to it because I wanted to get back to those VR experiences. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, it really depends. It took me a couple of hours to "figure it out", but once I did, I truly enjoyed it. Especially once I learned to deflect attacks. I don't think it's anywhere nearly as challenging as Sekiro, which it reminded me of at first. 

Now that said, i'm not saying this is a 10/10, must play Elden Ring type experience. I think it's better than Nioh, but it's no FromSoft game. In fact, so far I think there's too large of disparity between regular enemies and boss enemies. They challenge of the basic yellow scarf bandits don't do a lot to prepare you for that first boss fight, but overall I think the movement and sword play is very, very good. It just took a while to hit. Also, to be fair to it, I was balls deep in VR when I tried it, and probably didn't give myself a real chance to get used to it because I wanted to get back to those VR experiences. 

Ya if I'm mid point in Sekiro then that's when you get normal one killing blow enemies that you have to be good enough to not lose to. The game is worth playing if for literally nothing else then once you learn how to parry it's a dance in esscense vs an enemy or boss. Which makes it more appealing then a parry based game would imply. Lo Wong has that to it but dodging work's enough that it's you back up to parrying not the way of dealing fatal damage. It leads you to critical hits if your spirit is high enough by making boss or enemy spirit low enough to stun them and crit them. I want to beat the game actively cuz of that and its fantasy but it has a feel to Chinese historical fiction martial arts movies to be a visual treat enough to make you want to play it. Not the prettiest game but if I told you yo three kingdoms soulsborne game from Team Ninja it's what you'd expect and it's good because it's what you expect. I'd say great even from not beating the first boss and just learning about the game. 

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the characters and cutscenes look pretty good. The biggest knock I'd give it is the voice acting (English) is a bit stiff, it's got that halty kind of cadence like you're listening to a Kung-Fu movie.

And characters who look old have a young sounding voice 

Jfc. I tried to beat the first "tiger" beast really early on and he beats the living shit out of me within 40 seconds. I've tried dodging, blocking, and parrying and it kills me extremely fast. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I want to like this game but holy shit is it difficult. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Jfc. I tried to beat the first "tiger" beast really early on and he beats the living shit out of me within 40 seconds. I've tried dodging, blocking, and parrying and it kills me extremely fast. What in the hell am I doing wrong? I want to like this game but holy shit is it difficult. 

The difficulty is part of the fun!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think the characters and cutscenes look pretty good. The biggest knock I'd give it is the voice acting (English) is a bit stiff, it's got that halty kind of cadence like you're listening to a Kung-Fu movie.

Game feels like its that so maybe intentional as opposed to low budget dub?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Are you playing the full game? If so, he's completely optional. He wiped the floor with me too. But I just moved on and beat the first boss, leveled up several times, found better gear, came back and we had a nice little reunion!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nublood said:

Are you playing the full game? If so, he's completely optional. He wiped the floor with me too. But I just moved on and beat the first boss, leveled up several times, found better gear, came back and we had a nice little reunion!

Wait, what!? I'm playing the demo and it leads me right to him. So you're saying I can avoid him?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Wait, what!? I'm playing the demo and it leads me right to him. So you're saying I can avoid him?

Jump on the house. Go inside via the open hole on the roof. Get him to come inside. Cheese the fuck out of him by beating his tiger ass to death. 

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Sorry, not sure about the demo. I'm playing the full game and he's optional. I think the demo starts you off in a completely different area than the full game.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1