Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | New Team Ninja Game From Producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) & Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne) - "DLC 3 | Upheaval in Jingxiang" trailer

Keyser_Soze

On 3/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

So I think somebody on another topic said you're not supposed to fight her first. I think you're supposed to fight Genichiro first and he pretty much trains you to beat everything else in the game. You master both the parry and the mikuru counter fighting Genichiro's two phases. Once you get past these two early encounters no matter who you beat first you should have the skills to pretty much beat the game. I promise you if you stay with it, the game will "click" and you'll be making progress in no time.

So I made it to Genichiro and got 1 deathblow on him first try, cut to 40 tries later I looked up vids to see what I'm doing wrong... and find out this man has 3 FUCKING HEALTH BARS AND A 2ND PHASE!?

I'm going to grind a bit to get the posture breaking skills & if I dont make significant progress that might be a wrap for me.

• Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

So I made it to Genichiro and got 1 deathblow on him first try, cut to 40 tries later I looked up vids to see what I'm doing wrong... and find out this man has 3 FUCKING HEALTH BARS AND A 2ND PHASE!?

I'm going to grind a bit to get the posture breaking skills & if I dont make significant progress that might be a wrap for me.

You have to master the parry and then for the second phase, focus on the mikuru counter and the lightning return move. Those are the three skills you need to know for the rest of the game. Once you beat him and know that you have a handle on those skills, you're pretty much set to beat the rest of the game because every encounter after that requires at least one of those techniques. I promise you, you can beat this guy. He's really not as tough as he seems... just focus on his attack patterns and counter as appropriate. He's attack set is pretty consistent and you'll fins your openings. Also maintain as much pressure as you can in order to keep his posture bar built up to land those death blows.

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I'm past him. He's nothing compared to what's coming. 

I had a really hard time with him, but I do think it was because my Metal spec was really low. Once I leveled up a few times and put a few points into the Metal aspect, along with a weapon that didn't have frickin' Wood as its main element, it became a bit more manageable. But I fought the damn thing about 20 times while trying to figure it all out.

If he's nothing compared to later bosses, I might be out. I've already decided to put the game down for a while; there are quite a few other games I would like to get through before this gaming avalanche really gets going. I spent a lot of time trying to get past that guy, and all I could think was those hours could've been spent on Hogwarts, or HiFi Rush, or Plague Tale, or any of the other 15 games that have come out in the past few months that I've been putting off.

The game has an addicting gameplay loop, that's for sure, but I think I might be done with it for a while.

52 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I had a really hard time with him, but I do think it was because my Metal spec was really low. Once I leveled up a few times and put a few points into the Metal aspect, along with a weapon that didn't have frickin' Wood as its main element, it became a bit more manageable. But I fought the damn thing about 20 times while trying to figure it all out.

If he's nothing compared to later bosses, I might be out. I've already decided to put the game down for a while; there are quite a few other games I would like to get through before this gaming avalanche really gets going. I spent a lot of time trying to get past that guy, and all I could think was those hours could've been spent on Hogwarts, or HiFi Rush, or Plague Tale, or any of the other 15 games that have come out in the past few months that I've been putting off.

The game has an addicting gameplay loop, that's for sure, but I think I might be done with it for a while.

Well they definitely ramp up the difficulty and not in an interesting and accessible way like From Software does. I kinda wish people would stop with the soulslikes for a while and just do their own thing because they're kinda ruining it 

• True 1

3 more bosses down after the Team Ninja Checkpoint. Can definitely say the game has clicked and pulled me in even though I don't give 1 shite about the 'story'. It's like I'm only playing to test myself to see if I still have it or something and can take modern difficulty because it's straight up masochistic at points. Much worse than Demons, Dark or Elden. Maybe parts of Sekiro were almost as difficult but there was always an exploit with a buff, art etc. 

14 hours ago, eventide11 said:

3 more bosses down after the Team Ninja Checkpoint. Can definitely say the game has clicked and pulled me in even though I don't give 1 shite about the 'story'. It's like I'm only playing to test myself to see if I still have it or something and can take modern difficulty because it's straight up masochistic at points. Much worse than Demons, Dark or Elden. Maybe parts of Sekiro were almost as difficult but there was always an exploit with a buff, art etc. 

I want to take this time to thank Team Ninja/Koei for skippable cut scenes.

• Hugs 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

You have to master the parry and then for the second phase, focus on the mikuru counter and the lightning return move. Those are the three skills you need to know for the rest of the game. Once you beat him and know that you have a handle on those skills, you're pretty much set to beat the rest of the game because every encounter after that requires at least one of those techniques. I promise you, you can beat this guy. He's really not as tough as he seems... just focus on his attack patterns and counter as appropriate. He's attack set is pretty consistent and you'll fins your openings. Also maintain as much pressure as you can in order to keep his posture bar built up to land those death blows.

So after my struggle with him I grinded  bit to unlock ascending/descending carp & went back to give butterfly another shot & beat her first try. Maybe there's still hope for my old man fingers 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

So after my struggle with him I grinded  bit to unlock ascending/descending carp & went back to give butterfly another shot & beat her first try. Maybe there's still hope for my old man fingers 

My friend, if I can beat Lord Isshin Ashina straight up I'm positive you can take what this game dishes out 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, eventide11 said:

My friend, if I can beat Lord Isshin Ashina straight up I'm positive you can take what this game dishes out 

Thanks for the words of encouragement y'all @skillzdadirecta 

I attempted to fell Genichiro again and after about 5 tries I finally made it to his 2nd phase for the first time... and I fucking beat it first try! I think it was pure luck or adrenaline or something but hey I did it. Onto the next one.

10 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

and I fucking beat it first try! I think it was pure luck or adrenaline or something but hey I did it. Onto the next one.

His second phase is actually easier than the first. Congratulations... there's a couple of other tough bosses but you should be making steady progress until the end of the game. Keep us posted... game isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. There's just no way to "Cheese" it really.

23 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve hit my first real wall, and its name is Lu Bu. 

I completely re-spec'd my points into water, acquired the ice trap and frost lance spells, and summoned 2 NPC's to help me with him. The ice trap worked pretty well in stunning him, and I was able to just pelt him with the frost lance from a distance while my help distracted him. Just be prepared to counter his red attacks if he turns his attention toward you. I think I was level 47 when I fought him and my morale was 25. I had to grind a bit to get my morale that high. Hope that helps!

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I gave this game a huge amount of chances and I just litteraly don't have the skill or patience to beat even the first boss. 

He’s a pushover. 

Spoiler

Crowd him from the jump. Never let up. Hit him with normal attacks and deflect when only necessary. When the hit point turns red hit him hard and take a huge chunk of his health. Rinse and repeat. For the second phase I started super aggressive but also back off and deflected several times. You only need to get his health down to half way before the NPC will tell you to use your special on him. Then it’s lights out. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

He’s a pushover. 

Hide contents

Crowd him from the jump. Never let up. Hit him with normal attacks and deflect when only necessary. When the hit point turns red hit him hard and take a huge chunk of his health. Rinse and repeat. For the second phase I started super aggressive but also back off and deflected several times. You only need to get his health down to half way before the NPC will tell you to use your special on him. Then it’s lights out. 

Great tips. How far are you?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Great tips. How far are you?

Also don’t know if you knew this but you can spam the crap out of attacks so button mash. Also holding block continually is a great strategy. That way if it’s a normal attack and you miss the deflection window your block will always protect you unless it’s the red flashing attack. Those you have to parry by deflection. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Also don’t know if you knew this but you can spam the crap out of attacks so button mash. Also holding block continually is a great strategy. That way if it’s a normal attack and you miss the deflection window your block will always protect you unless it’s the red flashing attack. Those you have to parry by deflection. 

Yea, I constantly block. The game is simple up to the boss. 

8 hours ago, nublood said:

I completely re-spec'd my points into water, acquired the ice trap and frost lance spells, and summoned 2 NPC's to help me with him. The ice trap worked pretty well in stunning him, and I was able to just pelt him with the frost lance from a distance while my help distracted him. Just be prepared to counter his red attacks if he turns his attention toward you. I think I was level 47 when I fought him and my morale was 25. I had to grind a bit to get my morale that high. Hope that helps!

8 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I hit that wall too. Nubloods advice is what worked for me as well since re specs are free. 

I gave it a shot. With 2 NPC helpers, he was moving so erratically, I felt like those ice spells just were missing a lot. Plus, I haven't been using a lot of spells up until this point, so I was bad at managing my spirit so I got stunned almost every time I was hit. Then I took a closer look at my melee weapons, realized if I was all-in on Water I should be using double swords, so I practiced with those and upgraded one to +4. I summoned only 1 helper to occasionally draw aggro, but I mostly wanted Lu Bu to keep attacking me with his critical attacks so I could deflect them (much easier to do consistently with double swords) and hit back with Ice Weapon applied. Took a while, but focusing on doing pretty much just that made it easier for me to stay up. 

All together, that level took a good chunk of my day (playing on and off), but it was a really fun, rewarding experience. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

On 3/14/2023 at 2:48 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

His second phase is actually easier than the first. Congratulations... there's a couple of other tough bosses but you should be making steady progress until the end of the game. Keep us posted... game isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be. There's just no way to "Cheese" it really.

I just beat Guardian ape on my 4th (5th?) try so I guess I'm "getting gud" because I've heard that a lot of people really struggled with him. I do have like 8 gourd charges and have beaten most of the mini-bosses I've come across though so I did have a lot of room for error.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

I just beat Guardian ape on my 4th (5th?) try so I guess I'm "getting gud" because I've heard that a lot of people really struggled with him. I do have like 8 gourd charges and have beaten most of the mini-bosses I've come across though so I did have a lot of room for error.

Ive been wanting to go back and play this to see how different the parry windows are compared to Wo Long. Wo Long may have made me even better at Sekiro 

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Oh you beat Guardian ape on your fifth try? You're definitely "getting gud". Took me about a week to beat that Monkey. You're pretty much Golden until the end of the game. The toughest remaning bosses and minibosses in the game are pretty much optional, but you've already faced the toughest challenges in the game until the final boss. There's one other boss that I won't spoil that is pretty tough but you may not even face them depending on what path you chose. One thing that Sekiro does very well is it trains the player to play it and ramps up the difficulty accordingly. Once you master the mechanics, encounters that seemed impossible before become exhilirating challenges. Keep going. You'll have it beaten in not time.