Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | New Team Ninja Game From Producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) & Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne) - "DLC 3 | Upheaval in Jingxiang" trailer

Keyser_Soze

6 hours ago, nublood said:

Sorry, not sure about the demo. I'm playing the full game and he's optional. I think the demo starts you off in a completely different area than the full game.

The second demo is basically the beginning of the game including the tiger enemy, the first demo also had the tiger enemy  but I think they are both in the same spot.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If you get stuck on a boss are you able to summon real life players to assist you like Elden Ring and Nioh?

I'm guessing no but that would be dope. I agree, the game grew on me too and I want to enjoy it. Damn tiger is brutal. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

If you get stuck on a boss are you able to summon real life players to assist you like Elden Ring and Nioh?

Yes. Checkpoints are always, right before a boss and you can recruit in game NPC help (up to 2) or summon a real person to help. You need tiger seals to summon but its pretty generous with those.. So far.. 

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

I think people are scared they can't parry, attacks are too fast and do too much damage and they'd rather have a less stressful time gaming because their time is too valuable. And there's too much to play than to 'waste time' on something so unforgiving etc. But it's really not THAT difficult once you get the mechanics and learn parry windows are pretty forgiving and make most fights trivial. It's as if From Software has made the cream rise to the top but most want watered down, homogenized, easy and casual experiences with their time

• Halal 3

Like I said, the major problem with this game is that it doesn't use regular enemies to train you for bosses. The idea that the very first boss has a second phase that is harder than the first is absurd. I would get it if there was a variety of monsters that trains you for his weird second form attacks, but it kind of just throws you to the lions. If you're new to these type of games, I can really see it being a major turnoff to kill your very first "Soulslike" boss, get excited about it, and then watch him turn into an even more powerful version with an even further reaching attack. You had no idea and already used your healing pots, maybe you have half a bar left, and boom.  I can see why a new player would quit because I almost quit, but decided I should get at least to the second boss later that evening. 

If this was the 3rd boss, ok, but it just felt like a really bad choice that angered me quite a bit. Work people up to this stuff. 

Also, these 3rd person games have a major problem with Cameras. This one is almost as bad as the camera in Ragnararok, except ragnarok indicates incoming attacks from the sides. In Wo Long, shit you can't see just comes out of nowhere. 

Overall I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I can definitely see why this game is a lot less friendly to new players than Elden Ring, or even Bloodborne or Dark Souls. If someone asked me where to start with souls/soulslikes, this wouldn't be anywhere on my list. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Conquer it @BloodyHell

Need to jump back in will play in a bit.

I'm doing fine currently, I just think they did very little to get new players invested. Like, if you had never played a game in this genre, I definitely don't think this is the game that would get you in to it (unless you're like a samurai movie superfan, maybe). It's a good game, all around, but I can't give it higher praise than that. I think i'm about 1/3rd finished. Understanding the builds isn't very well explained either. 

What Elden Ring does so well is use small dungeons with mini-bosses to teach you all of the mechanics most of the bosses use, while having some extremely challenging fights that aren't required for progression through the main game. By the time you beat a few mini bosses, you're perfectly capable of beating Margit. Then when you beat him, you realize that you can absolutely get through more. This game kinda just gives you trash enemies, and bosses. 

On 3/7/2023 at 6:50 AM, Zaku3 said:

I dunno man. I just remember it took me over the course of 2-3 days of trying and quiting when I felt I was too frustrated. Not because I felt frustrated but I wantes to do something else.

I am a masochist cuz only a masochist would keep playing willingly Soulsborne games. Like the 2nd stage of the Lo Wong's like General of Man boss is very winnable. I know how to play the game and just need to learn how to beat him. I figured out how to beat the Ape and could win but needed to be good enough to survive a different enough 2nd stage I have to figure out how to survive fighting it before I could beat it. So ya 2-3 days of frustration. I left off at a big story spoiler boss and enough time has past that I might not be able to beat him without similar or more effort.

Be satisfying to do not gonna lie so I should try.

Reason why I asked how many times you fought him was  (spoilers ahead so be warned)

Spoiler

I should have asked if it was your first encounter or not. You fight the guardian Ape again, but the second time there's TWO of them that you have to fight at the same time.

It's doable like everything else in the game, but it ain't easy.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I only played like 25 minutes but again I ran into the fuckin tiger. I didn't see any other place I could go? 

Bruh the Tiger is on the left eating. Run on the right side past him. Then jump on the backside of the house up to the roof. Go right and hop rooftops until you see an enemy below. Jump down and kill him. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Bruh the Tiger is on the left eating. Run on the right side past him. Then jump on the backside of the house up to the roof. Go right and hop rooftops until you see an enemy below. Jump down and kill him. 

Lol this is what I said 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1
  • True 1

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

I only played like 25 minutes but again I ran into the fuckin tiger. I didn't see any other place I could go? 

Or just go the opposite way from the flag you placed, as thats the way to the boss. Up the stairs behind you, there is no need to go anywhere near the Tiger. 

• Thanks 1

Wo-Site-Thumb.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Here's the Digital Foundry breakdown of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty on PS5, Series X, Series S, Xbox One and PS4. What's the story with graphics and performance?

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is a new Soulslike adventure from Team Ninja. A spiritual successor to Nioh and its sequel, the game offers a dark fantasy twist on Chinese mythology with a formidable learning curve - and a comprehensive list of release platforms. We're looking at PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S and the older Xbox One and PS4 machines for today's tech breakdown. With seven consoles plus two modes each on the current-gen machines, that's a total of 11 ways to play and perhaps predictably, some options are very much better than others. Series X and PS5 offer the best ways to play, but there are interesting wrinkles in the narrative along the way.

Normally, when we see performance and resolution modes on a current-gen game, we'd expect to see one 30fps option and one 60fps one - but, weirdly, both options run at 60fps in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. Graphical settings are identical amongst the modes and both have uncapped frame-rates too, so the big difference is the resolution they target. Performance mode has an internal resolution of 2240x1260 on both PS5 and Series X, while the resolution mode targets 2560x1440. There's not a drastic visual difference between the two options honestly and the performance mode helps each console zero in on a tighter 60fps lock.

On PS5's resolution mode, exploration and small battles hit 60fps without issue, but there's no GPU headroom for more lavish effects work. Fire spells, terraforming moves and counter-attack particle effects trigger drops into the 50fps region, sometimes into the 40s. The game's cutscenes are also capped at 30fps (with uneven frame-pacing) regardless of mode. Series X's resolution mode is a similar story, but offers a slightly higher average frame-rate. For both machines, a VRR display to smooth out the uneven frame-rates in this mode goes a long way. However, the performance mode is the better mode overall, as it allows for much longer 60fps stretches and less severe frame-rate dips.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty | New Team Ninja Game From Producers Fumihiko Yasuda (Nioh) & Masaaki Yamagiwa (Bloodborne): Digital Foundry Technical Analysis - "well-designed but technically unstable"