Upcoming games that fell off the radar

crispy4000

Anyway, I think this was posted here once. I liked what I saw. But there haven't been any updates in basically 2 years until recently. And even then, nothing new has been shown. Just seems like they have upped their social media presence and are trying to be like "hey were aren't dead, the game is totally not dead" 

• Halal 1

Capcom didn't give us a good enough reason to care in the first place.  Feels like typical new-gen vaporware, but I hope it materializes into something cool.

I'd be tempted to put Everwild into this category as well, but it's become notorious as an example of smoke & mirrors.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Capcom didn't give us a good enough reason to care in the first place.  Feels like typical new-gen vaporware, but I hope it materializes into something cool.

I'd be tempted to Everwild into this category as well, but it's become notorious as an example of smoke & mirrors.

This didn't fall off the radar. Plenty of people still talk about it like it's coming out soon even though it got delayed.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This didn't fall off the radar. Plenty of people still talk about it like it's coming out soon even though it got delayed.

Capcom has a history of quick releases and a strong recent track record, so not completely.  But even when I see talk about Capcom being on a roll, I never hear 'you just wait for Pragmata to drop' or the like.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Upcoming games that fell off the radar
On 5/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, Paperclyp said:

God I really hate this art style. To me it continues to just look like some weird indie pixel art game drowning its art in a thousand shaders to try to grab your attention. I feel like it doesn't capture the beauty of pixel art OR 3D graphics at all but has become this really liked style by fans. It didn't help that it felt like the art style was the only part of Octopath that had any real effort put into it.

Oh, also, I encourage everyone to watch that Palworld trailer at the top of the thread in its entirety. It's so fucking absurd I love it. It just gets dumber and dumber. Unfortunately the next footage of it by crispy makes it look like a shitty janky open world survival game like we've seen a million of, so that's kind of a bummer. :(

28 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I feel like it doesn't capture the beauty of pixel art OR 3D graphics at all but has become this really liked style by fans.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most classic JRPG pixel art doesn't look as great as people remember it.  Not just because of CRTs, but because the indie games of today have taken pixel art and animation further generally.  Even if they experiment a bit with modern effects.  Case in point:

As for 2D HD, I don't mind the style, it does allow for more interesting framing.  But there's just too much bloom and chromatic aberration for my taste.  This game for example (Sacrifire) could look so good if they dialed that down a bit.

ss_546c8c181669334238c55914389cc2a8629b6

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

God I really hate this art style. To me it continues to just look like some weird indie pixel art game drowning its art in a thousand shaders to try to grab your attention. I feel like it doesn't capture the beauty of pixel art OR 3D graphics at all but has become this really liked style by fans. It didn't help that it felt like the art style was the only part of Octopath that had any real effort put into it.

Oh, also, I encourage everyone to watch that Palworld trailer at the top of the thread in its entirety. It's so fucking absurd I love it. It just gets dumber and dumber. Unfortunately the next footage of it by crispy makes it look like a shitty janky open world survival game like we've seen a million of, so that's kind of a bummer. :(

I totally get that. If it’s my vehicle to play some old JRPGS that I never played though, I’m into it. I think for this game it looks really good. 

Honestly the new Pokémon, I keep forgetting that is happening this year. I’m ready for some coverage, it’s like the only big game coming out this second half unless GOW2 actually makes it.

Seriously what else is there? MW2 2 and maybe a new entry from the boring side of Forza? 

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly the new Pokémon, I keep forgetting that is happening this year. I’m ready for some coverage, it’s like the only big game coming out this second half unless GOW2 actually makes it.

Seriously what else is there? MW2 2 and maybe a new entry from the boring side of Forza? 

It’s the year of the backlog 

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most classic JRPG pixel art doesn't look as great as people remember it.  Not just because of CRTs, but because the indie games of today have taken pixel art and animation further generally.  Even if they experiment a bit with modern effects.  Case in point:

Completely agree. This game is beautiful and a great example. They've gone from mimicking pixel art as a limitation of retro games, to an art style without limitations.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fixed

But I actually finished that!

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s the year of the backlog 

Damnit but that means I have to try getting into Death Stranding AGAIN. I feel like when it opens up more and I have better vehicles than this shitty bike and different environments and the story picks up I could get into it. It seems like something I should like, but man I STRUGGLE maintaining interest in the beginning with this one. Probably doesn’t help I played the beginning twice.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

There's a lot of 'big' stuff that is up in the air at this point.  Saints Row, Gotham Knights, Forspoken, Hogwarts, Sonic Frontiers, Avatar, etc.

I'd say the surest bets this year are Nintendo's properties, namely Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3.

8 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There's a lot of 'big' stuff that is up in the air at this point.  Saints Row, Gotham Knights, Forspoken, Hogwarts, Sonic Frontiers, Avatar, etc.

I'd say the surest bets this year are Nintendo's properties, namely Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3.

Oh yeah I did forget some of those up top could come out. If those all hit this holiday that could be a decent time. I plan to get Splatoon 3 but I think I need to be paying that one before I get excited, I haven’t seen yet what it had to make me excited to play Splatoon again on the same switch.

I've personally ignored Splatoon since Nintendo announced their online paywall.  They lost a customer for that franchise.  I might still like to play 2's single player and DLC some day, but only at bargain bin pricing.  The games are surely still good in spite of my personal hangups.

XB3 is almost as anticipated for me as BOTW2.  I'll feast for the rest of this year.