Monkeypox, coming to a state near you, update: WHO declares "global health emergency"

On 5/23/2022 at 12:12 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:
2676.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

LONDON (AP) — A leading adviser to the World Health Organization described the unprecedented outbreak of monkeypox in developed countries as “a random event” that might be explained by sexual behavior at two recent raves in Europe.

*puts it back in his pants* :nervous:

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There's some real homophobia going on re: monkeypox, it's like we're in the 80s again with AIDS.

I suspect that mindset from the American people is why this is going to explode and take a long time to get under control, kind of like HIV.

Just now, brucoe said:

I suspect that mindset from the American people is why this is going to explode and take a long time to get under control, kind of like HIV.

I've seen a lot of "if you're not gay, then don't worry about it" comments on the MS subreddit, directed at people who are worried because they are immunocompromised. I remove the posts and ban them.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've seen a lot of "if you're not gay, then don't worry about it" comments on the MS subreddit, directed at people who are worried because they are immunocompromised. I remove the posts and ban them.

That's kind of how it starts. Too bad we don't have some virus that occurred in the past to give us guidance going forward....

57 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In all seriousness, how do you protect yourself from monkeypox?

42 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

In all seriousness, how do you protect yourself from monkeypox?

From what I've read (and someone correct me if I am wrong), the greatest risk is sexual contact with someone who has it. Then, in decreasing order of probability, you can catch it through casual skin-to-skin contact, contact with a surface that someone infected has touched, and by inhaling droplets in the air that they have exhaled. It's not just an STI, it can be spread through shaking hands, breathing in someone's cough, etc.

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From what I've read (and someone correct me if I am wrong), the greatest risk is sexual contact with someone who has it. Then, in decreasing order of probability, you can catch it through casual skin-to-skin contact, contact with a surface that someone infected has touched, and by inhaling droplets in the air that they have exhaled. It's not just an STI, it can be spread through shaking hands, breathing in someone's cough, etc.

Well, knowing me, I already have much less chance of getting this than getting Covid.  Good to know.

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

NoOoOoOOoOOooOooOooooooOooo incels inmune 

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

*puts it back in his pants* :nervous:

The reason it has spread outside of Africa, and continues to spread, is that it is now within a small part of the gay/bisexual community that has multiple sexual partners over a regulalry short period of time (sometimes anonymously) -- 98% of the cases have been MSM, and 41% are immunocompromised.; 95% of the cases occurred as the result of sexual activity.

There is not yet any evidence of it spreading much outside of that community and their close contacts (i.e. household members).

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The reason it has spread outside of Africa, and continues to spread, is that it is now within a small part of the gay/bisexual community that has multiple sexual partners over a regulalry short period of time (sometimes anonymously) -- 98% of the cases have been MSM, and 41% are immunocompromised.; 95% of the cases occurred as the result of sexual activity.

There is not yet any evidence of it spreading much outside of that community and their close contacts (i.e. household members).

In other words, the Grindr crowd.

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s just the hedonistic queers so there’s nothing to be concerned about if (((they))) get it

1)  There is a vaccine for it (and anyone born before 1971 probably already has it).

2)  The death/serious illness rates are significantly lower than originally feared

3)  This isn't the only disease/illness that you put yourself at risk for, if you regularly have multiple sexual partners over a short period of time.  [i.e. HIV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Hep B&C, HPV, HSV-2, etc.]

4)  The larger concern is that the lack of communication to this community about THEIR risk, IMHO, puts them at higher risk.  [Some epidemiologists have raised this concern.]  

The larger concern is putting too much emphasis on the sex and not general close, intimate contact that includes sex. There is a difference in framing that the media and a lot of messaging is missing. The fascists have already turned on gay people as groomers and if significant transmission happens among children (and given that it seems that we’re going on a bad way to not containing this, it’s not something with zero chance of happening) it will result in right wing terrorism directed at the lgbtq community. I’m far more concerned about that than the actual disease. 

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This board was quick to point out that risky behavior was the fault of the infected with Covid.

The tune has changed, it seems

I am not reading that. It looks like everyone here acknowledges that it's spread via sex primarily, and with a smaller chance of spreading via close contact, etc. What people aren't saying is okay (as far as I have seen) is labelling this as the fault of gay people, or creating some kind of gay panic (like in the 80s). 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Somehow public health authorities kept getting masking guidance wrong early in covid and now are very hellbent on pointing out GAY SEX is what is the primary route of infection here. Absolutely an over correction if I’ve ever seen one. 

The only way I can think of to curb the pandemic is to:

1)  Convince the MSM with multiple partners to be monogamous/abstinent for a fairly long period of time

2)  Convince the MSM with multiple partners to to get vaccinated

I don't think 1 is realistic.

In solution 2, you need to convince the people at risk to come forward and get vaccinated.  How can you do that without talking about who is at risk?

Or, do you know of a better way?