Monkeypox, coming to a state near you, update: WHO declares "global health emergency"

18 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I was originally mocking an actual right wing trope I’ve seen around twitter but ok

If your takeaway from my post is “keep doing risky things!” Then I’m sorry but you’re dumb. 

No.  My interpretation was you were mocking an actual right wing trope for doing the exact same thing half the board has spent the last 18-months doing about Republicans in the Covid thread.

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I think the latest data is showing the virus can survive up to 14 days on surfaces

Had a patient return from the east coast with diffuse soars, swears no sexual contact there and only went to your standard settings: bars, restaurants etc. 

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Funny thing is a lot of the covid theater cleaning sounds like it would be great to slow monkeypox 

It's ironic that we spent so much energy on cleaning surfaces with COVID when it turned out to be one of the least-effective ways of preventing spread, and now with Monkeypox it's likely one of the better ways, but people are tired of the theatre of it, so they likely won't.

I wonder if people's perceptions of Monkeypox will change if it spreads more simply because with Monkeypox you can see the effects. People get uncomfortable when you can see the physical signs of an illness.

21 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I asked my healthcare provider about monkeypox vax and they said only if I'm gay.

It's not like they're gonna make you let them watch while you suck a dick to prove you're gay if you say you're gay.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

It's not like they're gonna make you let them watch while you suck a dick to prove you're gay if you say you're gay.

It depends on the health provider, mine actually did. I’m just glad there is a vaccine and now I don’t have to worry about this as it spreads.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

It depends on the health provider, mine actually did. I’m just glad there is a vaccine and now I don’t have to worry about this as it spreads.

Was @Derek the doctor? He's very thorough and professional so I'd assume he would ask for proof. "Are you gay? Prove it. Suck my dick right now!"

• True 1

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So there is a monkeypox vaccine?  Can I get that at CVS?

Yes, there's a vaccine, technically for Smallpox AFAIK, but also works for Monkeypox. No, you can't get it at CVS, there's an extremely limited supply and you must go to a vaccination site to get it.

KQXO55MKE5CDVK2W3CXINTLZFM.jpg
WWW.NJ.COM

You can get monkeypox vaccines in New Jersey if you meet certain criteria, according to the NJ Department of Health

ZAXCVVQSRYI63BECA3A4QTHI6I.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Sex is a major driver of the global monkeypox outbreak. But health officials and longtime HIV activists say calls for abstinence don’t work.

“It was devaluing gay men’s lives and health not to warn gay men,” said Dan Savage, a sex columnist who has criticized the public health response to monkeypox. “Now, here we are, really on the verge of monkeypox being endemic in gay communities all over the world, and how is that for stigma?”

Savage, who is no prude as a proponent of non-monogamous relationships and exploring fetishes, said public health officials should have advised gay men to curb their sex lives at the start of the outbreak in May that experts suspect was supercharged by large festivals in Europe with rampant sexual activity.

Savage is taking his own advice, limiting sex to his husband and his boyfriend and skipping San Francisco’s Dore Alley festival this year.

It would also appear that despite lab experiments showing the virus can live on surfaces for fairly long periods of time, surface contamination is very unlikely to be a meaningful transmission vector.

I mean, it seems fairly obvious that the pragmatic and also progressive way to handle this is:

• Tell everyone that sexual contact is the #1 transmission vector
  • Target that message to the communities where spread is highest (e.g. gay men)

What is not good messaging is:

• Telling people that the number #1 transmission vector is gay sex

• True 2

AA10ne1c.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Public health experts say the U.S. struggled to respond quickly to the monkeypox outbreak and should have been distributing tests and vaccines much earlier.

As of Friday, there were more than 7,100 reported cases in the U.S. across 48 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, according to the CDC, resulting in the Department of Health and Human Services declaring the outbreak a public health emergency Thursday.

While the federal government has acquired more than 1 million vaccine doses as part of the national stockpile preparedness program and has newly appointed monkeypox crisis coordinators, some public health experts interviewed by ABC News said the first cases in Europe back in May should have been a warning sign for the U.S. to ramp up testing and vaccination because of the possibility of community transmission.

"Quite frankly, the inability of the government and inability of federal public health to respond sooner than it did is what cost us here," Dr. Perry Halkitis, dean of Rutgers School of Public Health, told ABC News.

The White House said Thursday President Joe Biden is getting "regularly briefed on monkeypox" and it's an issue that is "top of mind" for him.

Halkitis said the U.S. should have immediately started assembling a task force and increasing the supply of tests and vaccines after the first monkeypox patient was confirmed in Europe, suggesting potential community transmission.

"When the disease first appeared, that should have rung alarm bells for people," he said. "We know perfectly well from COVID how quickly things spread because of global travel. We should have been at that point acting immediately, putting task forces together, getting vaccines and we did not do that."

"Now they're going to put a task force together? It's a little late," Halkitis continued.

"It's coming very, very late," Gostin, also a professor of medicine at Georgetown University., told ABC News' "Start Here." "It's not a time to panic, but it's absolutely a time to get serious. And I hope that this will be a pivotal turning point for the administration after a lackluster start."

22 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Target that message to the communities where spread is highest (e.g. gay men)

The people in charge don’t want to do this, and it is to the detriment of gay men.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The people in charge don’t want to do this, and it is to the detriment of gay men.

It's frustrating that they are doing the worst things on both sides of the messaging, in that they've allowed the public discourse to focus on this being a "gay" disease, while at the same time not actually trying to focus on the gay community to prevent spread.

• True 1