The DCCU is Getting Overhauled... Again

These people are so fucking dumb.

Feige was a unicorn. I'm not saying there's nobody at Warner or in DC that is capable of doing for them what Feige did for Marvel, but you can't force it.

The DCU's problem hasn't been a lack of "consistent brand strategy." Why would ANYONE think this? Has anyone over there talked to a comic book fan? Or read a fucking comic book? Who's The Flash? What timeline is this? What's the speed force? Did Hal Jordan go nuts or did he get yellow lantern herpes? What are we, New 52? Rebirth? Infinite Frontier? Golden Age? Crisis on Infinite Earths? Identity Crisis? Infinite Crisis? Final Crisis? Is this Earth 1? Earth Prime? Is that Kal-El? Kal-L? Superboy? Superboy Prime? It doesn't matter. At all.

They should know this! Who didn't like the stinger at the end of Peacemaker? Or Peacemaker in general? Nothing Marvel has done has the boldness to be as openly queer as Legends of Tomorrow has become. Few MCU heroes feel as vulnerable or emotionally honest as Superman on Superman and Lois. Warner / DC doesn't even have to go far to find good stories that understand their characters better than most of the DCU content has, these calls are coming from inside the house.

And you can't just make a DCU like Marvel did with the MCU. That cat is out of the bag. Marvel started with a C-list hero played by a jettisoned actor. The stakes are too high now, you can't just make a Booster Gold movie starring Shia LaBeouf and hope you can anchor a universe to that, that's over. They can't even string two good Wonder Woman movies back to back, they're not capable of the balancing act that the MCU has been, for good and for ill.

Also check your expectations. If Man of Steel isn't as profitable as the first Iron Man, maybe stop trying to force it? Just make a rad Superman movie, and don't try to set the world on fire with it? Aquaman is in the top 25 grossing movies of all time. AQUAMAN. A billion dollar movie and they let the character be on the shit end of a fish fucking joke on an HBO Max show.

Ugh.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

^ I want a Booster Gold movie!!!! but I sure as hell don't want LaBeouf playing him 

He was the first, "actually a good actor when he wants to be but went off the rails," guy I could think of offhand, I don't know Booster Gold well enough to know who should play him. :p  But Donald Faison played him in Legends this season and I ain't mad.

16 minutes ago, silentbob said:

They should ask Greg Weisman to guide the way. The man is a genius from Gargoyles, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Star Wars: Rebels and current Young Justice. He would be my DC Unicorn I would bet on. . . .or Paul Dini 

Weisman is the guy. And @Kal-El814 I don't know if you actually read the whole article but the new CEO of Discovery/Warner actually agrees with a lot of what you said and the Feige-like figure he's looking for wouldn't be a creative but more on the business end. He wants more riskier movies like The Joker and doesn't understand why the previous regime let Superman languish for so long without a movie when he's still one of the most recognizable characters on the planet. 

44 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

He was the first, "actually a good actor when he wants to be but went off the rails," guy I could think of offhand, I don't know Booster Gold well enough to know who should play him. :p  But Donald Faison played him in Legends this season and I ain't mad.

They did a Booster Gold episode? I haven't watched Legends since like season 3. I may need to check it out. I'm not really sure who I could envision playing him. 

Edit: though I am a fan of Donald, he seems an odd choice for the blond haired blue eyed superhero :lol:

7 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

They did a Booster Gold episode? I haven't watched Legends since like season 3. I may need to check it out. I'm not really sure who I could envision playing him. 

Edit: though I am a fan of Donald, he seems an odd choice for a the blond haired blue eyed superhero :lol:

Race no matter matters especially for B and C list characters. If I had to pick a "classic" Booster Gold actor, it would be a Ryan Reynolds type. No idea who that would be... I haven't watched and Arrowverse show since the big crossover when Ollie died. These shows are still trudging along, huh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Race no matter matters especially for B and C list characters. If I had to pick a "classic" Booster Gold actor, it would be a Ryan Reynolds type. No idea who that would be... I haven't watched and Arrowverse show since the big crossover when Ollie died. These shows are still trudging along, huh?

We've seen them switch racers with characters before, so I realize that's not a huge deal, but Booster has such a classic look. Did they change the costume. I just can't imagine that color scheme still working with a black guy. I mean in the comics even his hair color matched the yellow/gold of his suit. Yeah Reynolds, Nathan Fillion, or even Paul Rudd would seem to fit the character personality wise. (Reynolds and Rudd as Booster and Blue Beetle!) but not that I think of it, mess up his hair, have him smile more and act a little goofy and the dude that place Homelander would actually look Booster from the comics. 

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Flash is still trucking along. I never watched Supergirl or more than an episode of the first season of Batwoman, so I dunno much about those. Superman and Lois is really good. I love the show’s take on Superman. Legends has really pivoted into something kind of bizarre that barely fits into the DCU at all at this point, really. It’s irreverent and goes out of its way to be progressive. I like it a lot even though I think its best seasons are behind it.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Weisman is the guy. And @Kal-El814 I don't know if you actually read the whole article but the new CEO of Discovery/Warner actually agrees with a lot of what you said and the Feige-like figure he's looking for wouldn't be a creative but more on the business end. He wants more riskier movies like The Joker and doesn't understand why the previous regime let Superman languish for so long without a movie when he's still one of the most recognizable characters on the planet. 

I got as far as the bit about a consistent brand strategy and started mashing :p 

• Haha 2

The MCU wasn't even a sure thing initially. Feige WANTED to do it, but he didn't even take over Marvel Studios until Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were basically ready to start shooting, which is why the only direct teasers for other movies in those films were post-credits scenes that were added way later. RDJ's cameo in Hulk he did for free and they pretty much shot it in secret and added it long after the initial film was done, and the only cameo in Iron Man is from Samuel L. Jackson, who basically had a longstanding arrangement with Marvel that they would cast him as Nick Fury in any Marvel film, should that ever happen. That was in exchange for using his likeness without permission in the comics.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

A billion dollar movie and they let the character be on the shit end of a fish fucking joke on an HBO Max show.

Ugh.

Peacemaker is the best thing they’ve done and that joke was funny. The people who actually make these things successful (not super into comics people) are not annoyed that Aquaman was made fun of. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnny said:

Peacemaker is the best thing they’ve done and that joke was funny. The people who actually make these things successful (not super into comics people) are not annoyed that Aquaman was made fun of. 

I am also not annoyed by the joke at all, I appreciate them being irreverent about it. And I agree about Peacemaker.

Warner should completely ignore the idea of a shared universe. There is basically one example of this being commercially viable. Even with all the resources in the world, Disney has really struggled to replicate their own success with Marvel over at Lucasfilm as the Star Wars films made progressively less over time. Even on D+, I’ve heard at best mixed reactions to Book of Fett.

Warner needs to go back to being the director’s studio and give gobs of money to top tier filmmakers to just make good movies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 12:01 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Flash is still trucking along. I never watched Supergirl or more than an episode of the first season of Batwoman, so I dunno much about those. Superman and Lois is really good. I love the show’s take on Superman. Legends has really pivoted into something kind of bizarre that barely fits into the DCU at all at this point, really. It’s irreverent and goes out of its way to be progressive. I like it a lot even though I think its best seasons are behind it.

I got as far as the bit about a consistent brand strategy and started mashing :p 

@Kal-El814 - you really should give Supergirl a try. I held off wathcing based on what I later learned were some pretty stupid assumptions about the show.  It really holds up well on its own, and plunges headlong into some issues (LGBTQ+, race) in ways that have no business being executed with as much sensitivity as they do, in ways that feel happily organic within the framework of the show.  I mean, it's still filtered through the lens of a CW show, but the characters' struggles on those fronts don't feel at all hamfisted, and there's more than enough heart that it genuinely feels like an effort directed toward inclusion, as opposed to proselytizing.

Looks like I'll be moving on to Superman and Lois after I finish Legends.

From the article, it sounds less like this is a creative push to create a shared universe and more a business organization push to have all the DC stuff under one roof. That strikes me as a perfectly sensible idea. That kind of consolidation took a while even for Disney. For a while Feige was in charge of the movies, but then there were the Netflix shows which were separate from the ABC shows which were separate from some of the animated stuff ( I think). Now the TV stuff is all under Feige and production of all Marvel goes through the same hierarchy.

Right now there are a bunch of different entities with different hierarchies and executives that all make DC stuff. Unifying the decision making and creation pipeline under a single business unit doesn't necessitate unifying all the output into a shared universe. It should mean that if you had a new idea for a King Shark spin-off that they could better figure out if it should be a theatrical feature, HBO Max show, CW Show, HBO movie, or whatever.

13 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

@Kal-El814 - you really should give Supergirl a try. I held off wathcing based on what I later learned were some pretty stupid assumptions about the show.  It really holds up well on its own, and plunges headlong into some issues (LGBTQ+, race) in ways that have no business being executed with as much sensitivity as they do, in ways that feel happily organic within the framework of the show.  I mean, it's still filtered through the lens of a CW show, but the characters' struggles on those fronts don't feel at all hamfisted, and there's more than enough heart that it genuinely feels like an effort directed toward inclusion, as opposed to proselytizing.

Looks like I'll be moving on to Superman and Lois after I finish Legends.

Supergirl season 3 started strong then fall apart when Kreisberg got fired. 5 is not great and 6 is just really fucking bizarre because it just didn't act like it was a show that was in its final season despite going into production knowing it was its final season. Season 4 is one of the best Arrowverse seasons period though. Definitely worth watching that even if you skip the other seasons.