Better Call Saul - The Final & 6th Season

On 8/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, thewhyteboar said:

can mourn for Jimmy, how Jimmy had numerous chances to make things right or correct course, but never did

The classic tragedy and in fact seems to be the whole point of the Breaking Bad episode. The ultimate chance to turn around and her couldn't help but to refuse. Breaking into that guy's house was his point of no return.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:58 PM, thewhyteboar said:

Every week I continue to just be impressed by the sheer artistic craftmanship that goes into each episode; that's one of the things I'll really miss when this show is over, true art. I'm also impressed by how Gould and Gilligan made suckers out of all of us, or at least me. This whole time (at least until the "Breaking Bad" episode), I've wanted a happy (relatively) ending for Jimmy, cause the show has shown us how he does have some good in him, how he is so funny and charming and likable, and I bought it. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset. But Jimmy is gone (except that small spark when he let Marion go), it's all Saul (remember when Gene got locked in with the dumpsters, he wrote "SG" on the wall, not "JM") and Saul doesn't deserve shit. I hope he does wind up in jail, and then I can mourn for Jimmy, how Jimmy had numerous chances to make things right or correct course, but never did.

I'll miss this show.

I don't see Gene or Saul as any different or separate from Jimmy. To me they are all the same, one just lacks experience. 

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

To me, Saul is the drug Jimmy takes to dull the pain of losing Kim. 

He was already "Saul." He was the one making the videos/commercials and he already had his sketchy practice, even all the way back to handing out burner phones out of the nail salon. The only difference is he had more production money. 

• Halal 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 PM, thewhyteboar said:

And Vince, I know you’re reading this. Please use the song “El Paso City” in the finale. It would be a perfect coda and pair exquisitely with the use of “El Paso” in Breaking Bad. 

I think the finale has already been filmed and wrapped.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:48 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

He was Saul long before he lost Kim though. If anything, Saul was him coping with the pain and guilt of losing Chuck. Especially since he knows he's indirectly responsible for Chuck's relapse and suicide. 

Yeah but that just furthers the point: his father, his best friend, his brother, his wife. He fell further and further down the Saul hole with each successive loss and losing Kim was what broke him as a person. That's what we really see signing the divorce papers, he's fully disassociated.

I thought it was good. Just a question...

Spoiler

Did his ending testimony get Kim out of a civil suit or did he just do it to earn her forgiveness?

Also,

Spoiler

When he's talking to Walter White about regrets... when did that take place? I can't place it in Breaking Bad.

21 minutes ago, Derek said:

Hide contents

Did his ending testimony get Kim out of a civil suit or did he just do it to earn her forgiveness?

Also,

Hide contents

When he's talking to Walter White about regrets... when did that take place? I can't place it in Breaking Bad.

Spoiler

First: I don’t see how it got her out of a civil suit, I think it was more about coming clean and asking for her forgiveness, more or less. 

Second: That was when they were waiting to be extracted by the vacuum guy. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Derek said:

Hide contents

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

I had the same question about your first point.  As for your second question, 

Spoiler

That took place near the end when both he and Walt were staying on the Vacuum guy's basement while they waited for him to relocate them. When Saul got there, he was surprised that Walt was still there.

There was a lot I liked and a couple of things I didn't. Overall as a series finale I'll give it a B+. As an episode of my favorite show of all times it was a C. That bus scene was corny as hell. I'm also not sure exactly what Jimmy's actions did for Kim or how he helped her so that courtroom scene felt overly expository even though it confirmed a bunch of stuff about Jimmy that I've been saying for awhile now. I know these guys often write themselves into a corner and usually they are pretty good about writing themselves out of it but this time felt a little heavy handed I guess. Show is still my all time fav though and this finale definitely was more satisfying than Ozark's. 

23 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Not sure if the show or just the character is trying to tell us that Saul is responsible for Walter White but either way I'm not buying it.

It isn’t just Jimmy who is at fault, but if you look back at what occurred during BB, few people are more important in keeping Walt in the game than him.

I loved it - a mostly great finale. A couple of overly long expository scenes and I can understand why some were confused on what Jimmy meant by saying he had more dirt on Kim about Hamlin and then said there actually wasn't anything he had additionally on her - it was just to get Kim to come in person to the courtroom (a gambit that may not have worked at best). 

In the end, the show ended mostly in ways I didn't expect while still being entirely satisfying, and that's pretty impressive. As usual, the BB/BCS/El Camino crew got it done. This is a universe I'll miss watching but at the same time it feels complete, it feels time to move on to something new.

Edit: also loved the bit where Mike gives one time machine date to Saul (2001) which I think clearly we know what that refers to, but instead Mike goes further back to 1984. It was a very clever way of learning something new about Mike, I dug that.

• Like 2

I think it stuck the ending in a wonderful unexpected way, reenforcing his connection to Kim as a moderating force in his life, or at a minimum it showed that he cares deeply about what she thinks of him; it’s the only person he loves. While not a perfect episode, it was damn good. 

It’s not easy to end a show that is in this tier. It’s easy to fuck things up. Ozark is a recent example of a great show that has a bad ending. This ends nearly as well as shows such as Breaking Bad and The Americans, but in a different, less tragic way. 

It’s sad to think it’s over. I’ve been at this show a few years now :(  

Spoiler

I really liked that he went back to his real name too. 

• Like 2

Question for those that have finished the show:

Spoiler

Did you think Jimmy would have confessed had Kim not shown up at sentencing? I think it’s plausible that he would have taken the deal. Was he sincere in his confession with remorse, or was that just to manipulate Kim? 

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Question for those that have finished the show:

Hide contents

Did you think Jimmy would have confessed had Kim not shown up at sentencing? I think it’s plausible that he would have taken the deal. Was he sincere in his confession with remorse, or was that just to manipulate Kim? 

Spoiler

I feel that if she wasn't there, he'd be serving 7 years.

I think he was sincere. My SO thought it was to manipulate Kim, but I feel they ended it like Breaking Bad. A 'bad guy' gets his just deserts, but also redeems himself, in a way.

• True 1