Better Call Saul - The Final & 6th Season

Michael Mando not getting an Emmy nomination is a crime! :cry:

I really hope he gets more, and bigger roles after this. Still really hoping to see his Scorpion in the next Spider-Man movie. That'll will catapult his popularity for sure. 

• True 1

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

Michael Mando not getting an Emmy nomination is a crime! :cry:

I really hope he gets more, and bigger roles after this. Still really hoping to see his Scorpion in the next Spider-Man movie. That'll will catapult his popularity for sure. 

Have the Emmy nominations come out yet? Several folks on this show could and SHOULD be nominated. Kim, Mike, Nacho, Lalo, Gus... that's FOUR nominations for male supporting actor alone.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Have the Emmy nominations come out yet? Several folks on this show could and SHOULD be nominated. Kim, Mike, Nacho, Lalo, Gus... that's FOUR nominations for male supporting actor alone.

Yeah they came out earlier today. Bob and Rhea each got a nomination.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I just saw the list. Interesting... especially since you have several shows have multiple actors in the same categories. 

I've heard so many great things about Succession recently. It's like once Game of Thrones was over, people discovered this other show and it blew up.

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

I've heard so many great things about Succession recently. It's like once Game of Thrones was over, people discovered this other show and it blew up.

Succession, Ted Lasso, Only Murders in the Building, Killing Eve, White Lotus, Dopesick, Hacks, Severance and Squid Game all of more than one nominee in the category. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Another fantastic episode, things are really moving fast now given Hamlin's and Lalo's stories are entirely wrapped up. We have 5 episodes left and we still have to return to the flash forwards, which we haven't seen at all this season I believe except for the big Saul Goodman mansion I think. Show is firing on all cylinders and the way Gus got Lalo by doing it himself was gratifying.

And, as we've all been theorizing since Hamlin took a bullet to the head, it's potentially very likely it's all the trauma over being in large part responsible for Hamlin's death (to be fair, every adult makes their own choices, so it's entirely Lalo's fault in theory since he pulled the trigger entirely of his own accord, but they'll definitely feel guilty all the same) that will break them up, rather than Kim necessarily dying. And either way, now both of them are deep in with the cartels and are accomplices to numerous crimes. Thank God for Mike, he can minimize the damage.

• Like 1

Is this the first time we've seen Gus kill someone chronologically? I can't remember him killing anyone prior in this show, so maybe this is the start of him taking certain things into his own hands, rather than sending his lackies. Goes from panic shooting Lalo, hoping to hit him, to calmly, and coldly slitting Victor's throat in a handful of years. 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

That final look on Mike's face, knowing he fucked up, and this is his fault for not being there... 

Howard got done dirty. Sure Jimmy and Kim wanted to cause him some trouble, but he even said they knew he'll bounce back from this, but now he's going to die with everyone thinking he was a drug addict who took his own life, which was absolutely not what they wanted everyone to think forever, and the guilt will stay with them. 

Just have to keep telling the same lie over & over. That won't take a toll on a persons soul (looking at you Kim.)

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Is this the first time we've seen Gus kill someone chronologically? I can't remember him killing anyone prior in this show, so maybe this is the start of him taking certain things into his own hands, rather than sending his lackies. Goes from panic shooting Lalo, hoping to hit him, to calmly, and coldly slitting Victor's throat in a handful of years. 

Pretty sure you're right.

As for the mid-season premiere, HOLY SHIT! I didn't know if they'd just jump forward to the Gene timeline or what they had planned, but not only dealing with the immediate fallout of the last episode but seemingly the next ep deals with the fallout of this one, solid stuff that. Sucks that Lalo's end was seemingly so early still in the season considering how many episodes remain but it all fit logically. Crying shame about Howard & Lalo buried together in a shallow grave, mere yards away from Walt & Jesse.

As for that last question  in the interview, regards to the fly, I wonder if the Walt/Jesse appearance will revisit that episode now with broader context?

Also, the fact that it seems as though Jimmy will be telling Kim the same line of bullshit that Mike sold him, abhorrently atrocious to be sure, heartbreaking really.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

He killed Nacho's friend in one of the episodes, came up behind him and put a plastic bag over his head and tied his hands and feet and watched him suffocate.

It's been rumored that Gus is ex-Chilean secret police and is probably personally responsible for quite a few deaths. Lalo definitely wasn't his first personal kill and neither was this one. Judging from the reactions of his guys, this isn't the first time they've seen him do this. It was too well orchestrated.

16 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Also, to the best of my knowledge, we have 5 eps with 3 main questions remaining:

• What happens to Kim ultimately?
  • How does Jimmy fully embrace Saul (with it comes the house etc.)
  • How does Gene help himself after the (recast) cabbie spotted him?

My guess at this point is that Jimmy ultimately "sacrifices" his relationship with Kim in order to save her from himself and after that he goes full Saul Goodman. He probably does something that she can't forgive him for, making her the patsy or something, but he does it "for her own good" because he knows she's all in and won't willingly leave him. She was literally ready to kill for him rather than going to the police which is what he probably hoped she'd do. I think after this, Jimmy realizes he's no good for her and that's how they split... only for him to see her in the mall in the future with her family or something in his Gene persona.

Just now, SoberChef said:

In another life, these two are still around! Man, just IMAGINE what the scene could have been like if Lalo had gotten his hands on Nacho!!

If it's a one on one fight with no guns, I'd give Nacho the edge. If it's gunfight, Lalo murders him... Lalo is like evil John Wick with a pistol :p

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He killed Nacho's friend in one of the episodes, came up behind him and put a plastic bag over his head and tied his hands and feet and watched him suffocate.

It's been rumored that Gus is ex-Chilean secret police and is probably personally responsible for quite a few deaths. Lalo definitely wasn't his first personal kill and neither was this one. Judging from the reactions of his guys, this isn't the first time they've seen him do this. It was too well orchestrated.

I love that idea. His last name is actually very Chilean. 

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

He's been referred to as "The Chilean" in the show and when Eladio and Hector killed his... partner, they said the only reason HE was still alive was because they knew who he was. The creators of the show have said they imagine that he was a part of the Pinochet regime and may have worked in the military. Gus has definitely gotten his hands dirty.

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They hint and imply as much back in Breaking Bad, and his Chilean background was, in part, why the Mexicans treated him worse within the cartel hierarchy despite his competency. I doubt the creators will ever elaborate further but Gus has a very mysterious background connected to Chile, the suggestion it could be secret police is pretty interesting, very plausible.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's been referred to as "The Chilean" in the show and when Eladio and Hector killed his... partner, they said the only reason HE was still alive was because they knew who he was. The creators of the show have said they imagine that he was a part of the Pinochet regime and may have worked in the military. Gus has definitely gotten his hands dirty.

Yup that all makes sense. Nice.

When I lived in Chile I knew people who worked for the government during the Pinochet regime that still revered him and had pictures of him up on their walls and stuff. I met other people who had only recently returned to the country after being in exile. There was one group I preferred to hang out with over the other. I bet you can't guess which one!

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah right I forgot about that scene, which is also probably one of the most horrifying kills in the show. Just imagine going out like that completely helpless knowing you're a few seconds away from dying!

• True 1

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

I don't feel it's bloated at all. I could watch 3 more seasons of a Matlock-style case-of-the-week show; every episode Jimmy/Saul has a new slimy defendant and keeps losing his soul in the process.

LOVE THIS PREMISE!!!

• Halal 1

19 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I don't feel it's bloated at all. I could watch 3 more seasons of a Matlock-style case-of-the-week show; every episode Jimmy/Saul has a new slimy defendant and keeps losing his soul in the process.

Well yeah, then it wouldn't be bloated. But if you had to watch him tell that client the same thing over and over it might feel a bit bloated by that third season. Haha.

Spoiler

Forgot to mention it last week, but that final little smile Lalo gave at the end was perfect. 

Anyway, tonight's episode was a doozy for sure. I think this is the first time Jimmy and Kim have actually said "I love you" to each other on the show. Gus allowing himself a moment of happiness before realizing he still has work to do, and can't take the chance of putting another loved one in danger until it is done, and he's had his revenge, and Kim leaving Jimmy knowing that they are bad for each other. I figured Howard's death would be the thing that causes her to leave, but fuck that was sad. I still suspect that she'll show up near the end with "Gene" as he tries to fix things himself after getting made. 

For fuck's sake though AMC, enough with all the commercial breaks! It ruins the flow of the episode breaking to commercial after every scene. Even though I DVR it, so I skip through the commercials, it's still annoying to have to do that so constantly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brick said:
  Hide contents

Forgot to mention it last week, but that final little smile Lalo gave at the end was perfect. 

Anyway, tonight's episode was a doozy for sure. I think this is the first time Jimmy and Kim have actually said "I love you" to each other on the show. Gus allowing himself a moment of happiness before realizing he still has work to do, and can't take the chance of putting another loved one in danger until it is done, and he's had his revenge , and Kim leaving Jimmy knowing that they are bad for each other. I figured Howard's death would be the thing that causes her to leave, but fuck that was sad. I still suspect that she'll show up near the end with "Gene" as he tries to fix things himself after getting made. 

For fuck's sake though AMC, enough with all the commercial breaks! It ruins the flow of the episode breaking to commercial after every scene. Even though I DVR it, so I skip through the commercials, it's still annoying to have to do that so constantly. 

I watch on AMC+ so no commercials :twothumbsup: but yeah, AMC goes overboard with the commercials for their hit shows.