Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse first look...

Ghost_MH

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Part 1?! They're making this in 2 parts? 

Yup, with the second presumably coming in 2023. We're probably looking at two ~90 minute movies because Sony wasn't keen on releasing a 2.5-3 hour animated feature.

46 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Yea he was in the in end credit scene from the first film, which by the way is the best end credit scene in Marvel

Yeah, it seemed like he was ready to fuck with the multiverse. I always assumed he'd have a major role in the movie. I wonder what other Spider-People we're getting. Issa Rae is supposed to be playing Spider-Woman. This movie is going to be fun.

16 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

which is a shame as given how incredible the first film was I'd gladly sit through 2.5-3 hours 

Love it when someone quotes an autocorrect typo you were too lazy to notice.

Also, yes. I would totally watch a big, Eric sequel. That said, Sony is making the right call, financially. More show times and there's no easy way to get kids to sit through a 2.5-3 hour movie. That's a big ask.

That said, this will likely be the first movie we bring my oldest to see in theaters.

So at 1:50 in the trailer , it looks and sounds very Indian . I wonder if we gonna see

latest?cb=20151228055726
MARVEL.FANDOM.COM

Pavitr Prabhakar, a poor Indian boy, lived in a village, but moves to Mumbai with his aunt Maya and uncle Bhim to study after getting half a scholarship. His parents died some years ago. Other boys at the school tease him and beat him. He knows his uncle Bhim is struggling to support him and his aunt Maya, and pay the school. Only Meera Jain, a girl from school, befriends him. Meanwhile, Nalin Oberoi, a local crimelord...

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

You know I was thinking you might go with the classic, but for some reason I thought you didn't particularly like Superman. 

I'm largely ambivalent about Superman as a character, but I cannot deny that the original film is essentially (or should be!) the "urtext" for all subsequent superhero films.

There are parts of Superman that haven't aged especially well... some of the effects in particular are almost comedic when you're watching in HD. You can see the sheet behind the Krypton prop when it explodes, the flood scene is obviously, comically happening to practical scale models, etc.

But I'd argue that its understanding of the character is better than most other superhero movies. It's not afraid to make its hero emotionally vulnerable in ways that feel sincere are aren't kneecapped with humor.

I think it really hold up in the ways that matter most.

Also Reeve and Kidder both deserve awards for having a discussion about Superman's penis size and Lois's underwear color while playing it essentially straight.

The Dark Knight reigns supreme. Introducing my better half to the TDK trilogy reminds me, 1) of how riveting the entire trilogy was, and 2) how above every superhero film TDK is. It's a phenomenal achievement in every respect.

It also still feels so different from even the strongest superhero films. That's part of why I also love Into The Spider-Verse; along with being funny, smart, and downright heartwarming, it was also different and fresh.

There have been some great ones. The ones that REALLY stand out to me are Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Into The Spider-Verse, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Spider-Man 2. Haven't seen Logan, which is in a long list of, "You fool, stop not watching it."

• Like 1

The Dark Knight is such an active deconstruction of the superhero film that I’ve always found it curious when people say it’s the best one. It’s a pretty good movie, but it’s actively trying to be not a part of that genre.

Superman is a classic but it does fall apart in the second half for me. The first half may be the best of the genre.

Spider-Man 2 is the best because it embraces what it is and is 100% an examination of what it means to be an hero rather than try to deconstruct it.

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

The Dark Knight is such an active deconstruction of the superhero film that I’ve always found it curious when people say it’s the best one. It’s a pretty good movie, but it’s actively trying to be not a part of that genre.

Superman is a classic but it does fall apart in the second half for me. The first half may be the best of the genre.

Spider-Man 2 is the best because it embraces what it is and is 100% an examination of what it means to be an hero rather than try to deconstruct it.

TDK is just so well acted and presented that it doesn’t matter that a non-trivial amount of the movie makes no sense. It’s part of why DKR doesn’t work as well for me… it’s still a fine movie but everything about it is less than TDK and it’s difficult for it to stand on its own.

I love the second half of Superman but I get why people don’t. It’s very of its era.

Spider-Man 2 is the “comic book” equivalent of TDK for me. I know that doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but I just mean that it leans SO HARD into its source material and just puts that on screen. The color palette of Raimi’s Spidey movies leans into its print origins more than a lot of superhero movies. And all the main characters act like their comic book counterparts come to life. And you’re right, it leans so much into what Peter gains and loses by being Spider-Man better than just about every other superhero movie before or since. It’s just great.