Russell T Davies back as Doctor Who showrunner | Update: first new special airs Saturday November 25th at 6:30 PM London time

Jason

Glancing around the internet a lot of people are taking this as a massive show of no confidence from the BBC on the Chibnall run.

2g9g60go08c1000
WWW.DOCTORWHO.TV

Russell T Davies will make an explosive return to screens to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023, and series beyond.  BBC Studios are partnering with Bad Wolf to produce.

32 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Jodie Whittaker got a raw deal with Chibnall. I was so-so on RTD, but this is a welcome return to form, if you ask me. 

Yeah I was very quickly sold on Whittaker as the Doctor, but she's been held back by the writing. Capaldi had the same issue to the point it got me to stop watching for a while, although his final season was better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, Jason said:

Yeah I was very quickly sold on Whittaker as the Doctor, but she's been held back by the writing. Capaldi had the same issue to the point it got me to stop watching for a while, although his final season was better.

Long hair Capaldi is almost like Riker with a beard. With a few exceptions you can kind of tell how good a Capaldi episode is going to be by how shaggy and out of control his hair is :lol:

Capaldi was also held back some by inheriting Coleman as a companion. I was not crazy about her personally, but just in general I think it's a good idea to start fresh with companions when you regenerate the Doctor. That's why Matt Smith is probably my least favorite Doctor of the reboot series(haven't seen Whitaker's Doctor yet), and yet I still think him and Amy might be the best duo. It messes up the chemistry because that companion was picked for another actor and makes it even harder to accept the new guy as the Doctor when they've still got Smith's companion with them.

On 9/28/2021 at 6:07 PM, Jason said:

It's never discussed either how Doctor Who became harder and harder to stream right around the time Whitaker took over. I haven't watched her episodes yet and it's not because of her or even the writing....it's because it's no longer on Netflix, Prime, or Hulu. After checking my Roku it looks like HBO Max is the only place to get it now and even that doesn't have the last two seasons. I just kind of gave up even trying to watch it at some point.

Sounds like a horrible choice to go with Grant, to me. It's a shame it sounds like they are set to write off Whitaker's years as a mistake and who knows if we'll ever get another female Doctor.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

I enjoy Hugh Grant as an actor, but it would be a weird fit for this show. If they want to go with a famous Hugh, my pick would be Laurie. 

Yeah, Laurie would be an interesting choice if you want a big name, but not so big it's going to overwhelm the Doctor.

I am not sure if I could ever see Grant as anything but Hugh frickin Grant playing the Doctor.

I think it was Family Guy that made a joke about procedural crime shows randomly having, like, Mark Wahlberg on to play a character on an episode and it being completely distracting.

And Grant seems like almost the worst of both worlds. He is so well known that he would be distracting....but also is he really THAT well liked that a million people are going to tune in just to watch him play Doctor Who? Maybe my personal feelings are clouding my perception because I've never really enjoyed the guy.

10 hours ago, Jason said:

You can start with the 2005 reboot.

@Derek seriously, it's actually a pretty manageable amount of television if you start with the 2005 reboot. In 17 years they've had 13 seasons (which are at most 13 episodes) and various specials. The only remotely complicated thing is you need a watch list (extremely easy to come by) just because a lot of streaming sources handle the specials funny. And briefly glancing I think HBO Max looks like it at least mostly gets that right in terms of putting them in the right spots.

• 1 month later...

I am glad in particular that they didn't pick Hugh Grant, I am glad in general that they didn't allow the shortcomings of Whitaker's time on the show to retreat entirely from diversifying the cast.

On the flip side, don't know anything about this actor so I am ambivalent to his casting. If they wanted to go with a notable name, as was suggested with Grant, but still not go with a white guy they should have done Elba. Now that would have been an interesting move.

On 5/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, chakoo said:

I'm excited to see how this turns out. I never saw Sex Education but the compilations people posted of him on resetera sold me on him as the next Dr.

Sex Education is absolutely phenomenal.  I'd say it's easily on a short list of Netflix's top 5 series, and maybe among the Top 3.  

I'll probably give Dr Who another try with Gatwa in the starring role.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2022 at 3:03 PM, Jason said:

Apparently the new companion is going to a black trans woman? I foresee a bunch of Whovians outing themselves as chuds.

Yasmin-Finney.jpg
MOVIEWEB.COM

The actress expressed interest in the role in an interview with the Daily Mail on Sunday.

Do it you cowards!

• 4 months later...

People on the Doctor Who subreddit think this is either going to be a trailer or maybe a mini-episode (like somewhere between 8 and 20 minutes) and not a full-on Christmas special. Whatever it is we'll at least know relatively early in the day in North America given the time difference to the UK.

321547452_716306346743665_28589992506831
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Doctor Who shared a post on Instagram: "Tomorrow. #DoctorWho". Follow their account to see 4262 posts.

• Jason changed the title to Russell T Davies back as Doctor Who showrunner | Update: *something* is coming out tomorrow (Christmas Day 2022)
  • 10 months later...

Doctor Who seems like the absolute worst of the new trend in streaming.

It's hard to even get clear answers on what streams where, but from what I can tell you have to have no fewer than 3 separate streaming services if you want to actually catch up on the series before the new stuff starts.

New stuff is only on Disney+, but D+ has nothing else.

HBO Max has New Who(except the new release stuff) but not Classic Who.

If you want Classic Who you also have to get Britbox. Which, to be fair, Britbox also has SOME New Who(I think...), but not all of it. Also none of the new releases!

I have pretty much given up on watching Who until they figure this all out and I can actually watch everything all in one place again. Or at the very least, all of New Who.

Out of all the disappointing realities of streaming in 2023 I think few are more so than missing the days when you could just load up Netflix and watch damn near all of Who from beginning to end.

If you want all of the classic Doctor Who, you also have to listen to audio recordings of lost episodes that don't exist anymore in video format. They have made a few episodes into animated episodes.

97 of 253 episodes from the programme's first six years are currently missing, primarily from seasons 3, 4 and 5, leaving 26 serials incomplete. Many more were considered lost until recovered from various sources, mostly overseas broadcasters.

Doctor Who is unusual in that each of its 97 missing episodes survives in audio form, recorded off-air by fans at home.[4] Most episodes are also represented by production stills, tele-snaps, or short video clips. Furthermore, after careful restoration, all 1970s episodes are available in full colour, apart from the first episode of Invasion of the Dinosaurs, which is not always the case for other series.

SCREENRANT.COM

How 97 Doctor Who episodes became lost in time.

When the BBC first actively started maintaining its archives in the late ‘70s, the number of missing Who episodes stood at 152, but over the years there have been several recoveries—mainly thanks to the return of tapes that had been sold to international broadcasters in the ‘60s.

GIZMODO.COM

Part of the BBC's massive new streaming archive of Doctor Who material will include 3 audio recordings of stories that are mostly lost to time.

• Jason changed the title to Russell T Davies back as Doctor Who showrunner | Update: first new special airs Saturday November 25th at 6:30 PM London time
WWW.INVERSE.COM

After years of waiting, you can now dive into the archives of a sci-fi institution.

In celebration of Doctor Who’s 60th anniversary, Tubi is making all of “Classic Who,” the adventures before the 2005 reboot, available to watch for free. Here’s why this is unprecedented — and why you should tune in. Tubi now includes more than 600 episodes of the series, which used a “serial” format, telling a single story over multiple episodes.

20 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

very good first special. Tennant is so fun as the Doctor

How much you wanna bet the Doctor excitedly running around the TARDIS at the end was Tennant's own first time seeing the new TARDIS set and it wasn't acting, it was just his genuine reaction? :lol:

So Disney+ finally sorted out whatever stupidity was preventing me from giving them my money, so I went to check when the new Doctor Who episodes drop on D+, and apparently it's the same time as they start airing in the UK. So no need to wait an hour and change for the pirate sites to have the episode uploaded. :santasun: