Eurogamer: Game Boy and Game Boy Color games headed to Nintendo Switch Online, other platforms in the cards

SaysWho?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-03-game-boy-and-game-boy-color-titles-headed-to-nintendo-switch-online

Nintendo is set to add Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles to Nintendo Switch Online, Eurogamer sources have confirmed.

Word that Nintendo will bulk up its Switch Online back catalogue first broke earlier this week via the Nate the Hate podcast, which discussed various possible handheld games Nintendo could bring to the Switch subscription offering. Nintendo Life sources then offered their own confirmation.

Now, Eurogamer has been able to separately corroborate these reports - and we have heard that other retro platforms are also on the cards.

• SaysWho? changed the title to Eurogamer: Game Boy and Game Boy Color games headed to Nintendo Switch Online, other platforms in the cards

Fuckin' Nintendo. Why GB/GBColor? Why not Gameboy Advance? (I'm hoping that's the "other platforms")

I loved my Gameboy 30+ years ago, and while playing Mario Land 2 again would be a nice little nostalgia trip, I have practically no desire to relive those days.

It's bad enough the NES/SNES offerings keep bordering on the obscure.

22 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Prepare for bust!

:(

22 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Fuckin' Nintendo. Why GB/GBColor? Why not Gameboy Advance? (I'm hoping that's the "other platforms")

I loved my Gameboy 30+ years ago, and while playing Mario Land 2 again would be a nice little nostalgia trip, I have practically no desire to relive those days.

It's bad enough the NES/SNES offerings keep bordering on the obscure.

I feel Game Boy and Game Boy Color still offer unique experiences they can’t be found anywhere else. I think it’d be great if the world got another chance to experience Motocross Maniacs either again or for the first time. Some of the better RPGs of the era haven’t seen the light of day since their original release, like Rolan’s Curse 2 and Great Greed

And besides the aforementioned Metal Gear Solid, the GBC still has games like the criminally underrated Survival Kids and Dragon Warrior Monsters

That said, I’d be all in for GBA as well. Just throw all the GBA games from the Wii U Virtual Console on Switch and call it good! 

On 9/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Good. Being able to play multiplayer Gameboy/Gameboy Color games (including online) would be a blast.

Metal Gear Solid or bust.

Lol You aren't this naive? Theres no way Nintendo will put in the work to make playable online multiplayer GB/C games online. You'll get the original game, and the ability to share a screen while you each use a single, terribly designed joycon as the controller. There will be no online GB games. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

My GBC died a couple of years ago. I still use my GBA quite often, and used my Color once in a while for RPG's up until it broke. I still want it replaced, but it would be nice to use my switch for all of it.

On 9/4/2021 at 9:51 AM, GameDadGrant said:

:(

I feel Game Boy and Game Boy Color still offer unique experiences they can’t be found anywhere else. I think it’d be great if the world got another chance to experience Motocross Maniacs either again or for the first time. Some of the better RPGs of the era haven’t seen the light of day since their original release, like Rolan’s Curse 2 and Great Greed

And besides the aforementioned Metal Gear Solid, the GBC still has games like the criminally underrated Survival Kids and Dragon Warrior Monsters

That said, I’d be all in for GBA as well. Just throw all the GBA games from the Wii U Virtual Console on Switch and call it good! 

This, its all about the unavailable RPG's for me.

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Lol You aren't this naive? Theres no way Nintendo will put in the work to make playable online multiplayer GB/C games online. You'll get the original game, and the ability to share a screen while you each use a single, terribly designed joycon as the controller. There will be no online GB games. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

My GBC died a couple of years ago. I still use my GBA quite often, and used my Color once in a while for RPG's up until it broke. I still want it replaced, but it would be nice to use my switch for all of it.

ALL of the NES and SNES games are online. If it's on the same format/platform, there's no reason why Game Boy games wouldn't be online also. 

4 hours ago, johnny said:

this would be cool if they made pokemon available 

They are still available on 3DS! I don’t think they are online compatible, but local wireless works with them and the PKMN you catch in those games can be transferred to Pokémon Home and then into Sword/Shield.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

As long as they never make any Golden Sun games available, they can go nuts.

You love all those menus, don’t lie. :p 

10 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

ALL of the NES and SNES games are online. If it's on the same format/platform, there's no reason why Game Boy games wouldn't be online also. 

In fairness it’s not quite that simple.  They’d have to emulate two systems, running and communicating simultaneously.

If they get that working on the ‘host’ Switch, it shouldn’t be too hard to support whatever online drop-in tech they already have for the second emulated gameboy.

14 hours ago, SimpleG said:

So you can play multiplayer SNES games online?

Yeah.

14 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

In fairness it’s not quite that simple.  They’d have to emulate two systems, running and communicating simultaneously.

If they get that working on the ‘host’ Switch, it shouldn’t be too hard to support whatever online drop-in tech they already have for the second emulated gameboy.

Nah, it's pretty simple actually.