When should you tip and not tip?

Remarkableriots

3 minutes ago, misfit410 said:

If I'm waited on I leave a healthy tip, if someone has to clean up a table after me I leave at least a little something.

What gets confusing is when you go to the places where the service is somewhere in-between counter service and table service. Like if you order at the counter but then the rest of it is table service (they bring the food out, they bring you refills for your drink, etc). It's fine if you know what to expect but it's obnoxious to have to tip when you pay, not knowing whether they're going to call you back up to get your food or bring it out to you or what.

• Thanks 1

For food I tip if the food is delivered or there is table service prior to accepting/signing for payment. I do not add a tip I pay in advance of food, or I am doing carry out. 

Sonic used to pay their car hops like waitors, so I would tip them, otherwise they were only making like $2.15/ hour. Now they make at least minimum. They also do not wait for a tip either, practically throwing your food into the car window. 

At hotels I leave a tip of a few bucks each day for the cleaning staff, with a little larger tip the day I check out. 

When doing a city tour (like a Segway tour) I will tip the tour guide if they were particulry entertaining or informative, like also recommended other good attractions or places to eat. 

Before I started shaving my head I would tip the girls that shampooed and cut my hair. 

I basically tip everyone at least something. However, I dont usually tip fast food or star bucks though. Sometimes. 

With that, I think tipping is such a fucking scam. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the patron to ensure the restaurant's employees are making a decent living wage. Pay your fucking employees a proper wage and take the responsibility off me.  If you need to raise the price of the food, then so be it. 

A tip should be for service that was above and beyond my expectations. It shouldn't feel like a fucking requirement that I tip, but it does. 

• Thanks 1

I always tip at a sit-down restaurant where you are getting served, the amount depends on the service (you must have really annoyed me to get less than 20% in most cases, though :p ). Picking up food or fast-food? Never. Delivery gets a minimum of $5-6 tip, 10-12% otherwise.

The one thing, however, is that I refuse to tip tax. Meaning, I tip based off the pre-tax amount on the bill.

46 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I always tip at a sit-down restaurant where you are getting served, the amount depends on the service (you must have really annoyed me to get less than 20% in most cases, though :p ). Picking up food or fast-food? Never. Delivery gets a minimum of $5-6 tip, 10-12% otherwise.

The one thing, however, is that I refuse to tip tax. Meaning, I tip based off the pre-tax amount on the bill.

Would that amount also exclude the $6 delivery fee for example? That delivery fee should go to the driver.

25 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Would that amount also exclude the $6 delivery fee for example? That delivery fee should go to the driver.

It’s a minimum of $5-6 tip for delivery, once I break $55-60 I go by 10-12% (move the decimal once to the left and round up to the next dollar). ie: $87.35 would be a $9 tip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a minimum of $5-6 tip for delivery, once I break $55-60 I go by 10-12% (move the decimal once to the left and round up to the next dollar). ie: $87.35 would be a $9 tip.

cheap ass!   I always move the decimal over one and double it.  

Wait, maybe that's why i'm poor?!

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

I think it's a crock of shit that baristas expect tips now. You poured my cold brew from a fucking pitcher brah, no soup for you.

It's one thing if the place has a manual espresso machine, but at Starbucks everything is automatic, all they have to do is push buttons.

I absolutely loathe the idea that wages for some jobs are expected to come from tips.

That said, only when it's that kind of job do I feel compelled to tip unless it's also change that I don't care to have in my pocket and I for some reason paid with cash.

I only do pizza delivery if I'm stuck at work. I'll usually tip $5 then, though it's bullshit because you're also charged a delivery fee that doesn't go to the driver. 

I rarely go to Starbucks, but I'm not tipping them. They're just pushing a few buttons and pouring coffee. 

Do you guys tips Uber drivers? I started doing it this year when we used them for vacation. Just like $5 a ride.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It's one thing if the place has a manual espresso machine, but at Starbucks everything is automatic, all they have to do is push buttons.

Why does that make a difference? Shouldnt it be about their wage?

Would you ever tip someone at a retail store? I think about this because I've been in retail for way too long, and especially when I spent more time on the sales floor, I would go way above and beyond for people. Not that I ever expected it, but I've never once been offered a tip. I'm sure those customers never thought about it either, because that's just not a thing. But why not?