Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

24 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Decades of playing shooters on PC, besides daily use, have made me way better with precise movements with a mouse than I'll probably ever be with a gamepad. :p 

And if you like mouse movement, like I said use to touchpad or touch screen instead of the stick. :p

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And if you like mouse movement, like I said use to touchpad or touch screen instead of the stick. :p

I mean, I guess for that matter I could hook up a mouse and keyboard to the Steam Deck, but at that point I might as well play on my desktop PC with my 32" monitor. :p

17 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I mean, I guess for that matter I could hook up a mouse and keyboard to the Steam Deck, but at that point I might as well play on my desktop PC with my 32" monitor. :p

Wait but how is hooking up a mouse and keyboard comparable to moving your thumb a quarter inch down to the touchpad? The entire point of it is so you can have mouse like controls on a gamepad/handheld which seems to be what you are wanting.

26 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Still absolutely loving the Steam Deck.  My biggest gripe is just the inability to download a game with the screen off. What year is it?! :silly:

Fucking right? Why can’t it update also in sleep mode, the fuck? Is it something to do with how they get resume working? I end up having all my patches pile up because if the screen is on I’m usually playing a game.

But glad you are still loving it as well! it still makes me happy constantly, I fucking love it so much (as much as I need an oled screen on it like yesterday) My most recent activity with it is I downloaded redream and got that working like a regular app in game mode and it works so much better than flycast in Retroarch for dreamcast emulation. It was so hit and miss in retroarch, but this apparently has 95% compatibility and it’s been on point for everything I’ve tried. Building up a nice little dc collection and trying some random stuff like the Atomicwave arcade games that used the DC hardware. Lots of fun!

• Like 2

Went crazy last night and got my dreamcast collection up to 75 games on the deck in between playing Rabbids 2 on switch. 

archive.org is insane for emulation needs I don’t even understand how this is happening it has everything with solid links that download quickly and it’s just all sitting there with no ads or pop ups wtf

We finally got some more info on AMD's new chips for handhelds, the Z1 and Z1 Extreme. No doubt that they'll outperform the Steam Deck when running at the full 30 watts, but it's far from clear how they'll fair under a more restrictive 15 watt battery mode.

We've also got some more info and impressions of the new ROG Ally, which looks pretty good so far. The only indication we have on price is that it'll be "under $1000,"  but it wouldn't surprise me if it's not much under that, or if the higher end versions are above that.

Asus is even showing off the Ally's ability to use their external GPU solution, which seems like a hard sell to me. For the $2000 you'd spend on a mobile 4090 to plug this thing into you could probably buy a full on desktop that would come close to the same GPU performance, while likely being better in every other way.

I have zero faith in ASUS's ability or motivation to support the ROG Ally in the long-term whereas Valve has every incentive to ensure the success of the Steam Deck.

As far as I'm concerned, being the "most powerful" PC handheld is really missing the forest for the trees when it comes to the purpose of these devices.

• True 1

Steam should license out steam deck design to these other vendors or something to get more produced and have certain approved improved apu tiers they officially support buy beyond that they have to follow valve specifics to be certified. Because yeah I want improved steam decks way more than more windows handhelds.

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

My biggest issue with the Deck is the battery life. I can’t imagine the ROG with RBG is gonna have better battery life. 

Plus I love the trackpads. I don’t want a handheld PC without them. 

You know what would help the deck with battery life? An oled display :D

• True 1

21 hours ago, stepee said:

n-real glasses are out for delivery :O

these are amazing besides the fact that one lens is broken and is practically green, need to return them :(

Definitely need to get a working pair or switch to rokid though, the use case is very obviously going to work for me.

• Sad 1

Jc6D3pTzBUfEg4MkWrey5c-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A video showcases Valve's hit handheld being used in a very unexpected way.

The Steam Deck is a remarkably powerful piece of hardware, capable of doing all sorts of interesting things. But the Ukrainian military appears to have found one use that I'm pretty sure wasn't anticipated in any of Valve's design meetings: As a controller for a remote gun turret.

Photos of the Steam Deck purportedly being used to control a gun turret first turned up in mid-April, shared by TRO Media(opens in new tab), but they looked a little suspect: There was nothing to indicate that the Steam Deck in question was being used as part of the weapon, and not just for a spot of Vampire Survivors during a reload.

More recently, though, video from what appears to be the same event has turned up, and a Steam Deck is clearly being used to control the turret.

• Shocked 1
  • Ukraine 1
  • Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, stepee said:

Best Buy has ads all over their main page for this too, they are really pushing this.

If you have a BB credit card, you can use Q2FY24SAVE10PL to save 10%. I tried but didn’t work for me since I don’t have one.