Valve drops a Tim Epic-approved steamer!

Hurricane Game

ok got another pair of n-real glasses and the display isn’t messed up on this one! Coolest thing so far was I got 3DS emulation going on the deck in 3D and since the projected view is so large even a small square for the second screen is still bigger than it would be on a real unit. And using the touchpad works perfectly for touch controls which makes it easier to point and click while looking at the screen. It’s a pretty sweet set up for 3DS emulation. 

edit: One thing I heard that was hard to believe is how damn sharp the image appears even though it’s only 1080p. I still thought there was going to be a sizeable image quality loss by moving from a 7” display to the equivalent of 150” or so and only doubling the resolution (even counting for viewing distance, judging by how 1080p looks on a 65” tv) but I guess things scale differently with how it projects and I barely feel any iq is lost at all if any.

Laying in bed playing Zelda TOTK downscaled from 4k at 60fps on a 150” oled that is fucking FLOATING IN THE AIR is about as spoiled as it gets 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

ok got another pair of n-real glasses and the display isn’t messed up on this one! Coolest thing so far was I got 3DS emulation going on the deck in 3D and since the projected view is so large even a small square for the second screen is still bigger than it would be on a real unit. And using the touchpad works perfectly for touch controls which makes it easier to point and click while looking at the screen. It’s a pretty sweet set up for 3DS emulation. 

edit: One thing I heard that was hard to believe is how damn sharp the image appears even though it’s only 1080p. I still thought there was going to be a sizeable image quality loss by moving from a 7” display to the equivalent of 150” or so and only doubling the resolution (even counting for viewing distance, judging by how 1080p looks on a 65” tv) but I guess things scale differently with how it projects and I barely feel any iq is lost at all if any.

Laying in bed playing Zelda TOTK downscaled from 4k at 60fps on a 150” oled that is fucking FLOATING IN THE AIR is about as spoiled as it gets 

This sounds so freaking cool, you're really tempting me... Playing the Deck e.g. on an airplane with these sounds amazing. 

Did you try these out somewhere before buying or did you pretty much blind buy them?

31 minutes ago, Nokra said:

This sounds so freaking cool, you're really tempting me... Playing the Deck e.g. on an airplane with these sounds amazing. 

Did you try these out somewhere before buying or did you pretty much blind buy them?

Yeah these would be amazing with the deck on an airplane. I bought them blind but I knew that @Rev had been using them and he gave me a good idea of what to expect and was using them over a year and we have similar tech tastes.

Though it should be noted that while I just didn’t want to wait, there is the Rokid Max now which is starting to ship and might be better (120hz with larger fov and brighter) but the jury is probably still out if that’s a sure bet until more are in the wild. But might be worth waiting a bit.

And also just in case you see their marketing material, ONLY get this for the virtual oled display. The AR stuff isn’t there yet and beyond limited. I do hope they get the windows software up so I can have proper 3dof virtual screens around my laptop though, right now it’s just one screen projected in front of you always.

I can’t wait to figure out how to get 3D movies working, really want to watch Avatar 2 on these.

• Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Brian said:
WWW.DECKHD.COM

Upgrade your Steam Deck with our display mod featuring a resolution boost to 1200p and an improved colour gamut. Enjoy standard anti-glare glass for crystal-clear gaming. Unleash the...

OLED or no buy bud. 

Yeah this is a huge missed opportunity and while sourcing oled is probably way more difficult I don’t see the point in this without it being oled. 

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That is beyond cool what you explained above. You bastard 🤣 

You know what’s cool though is console gamers can get in on this too. Last night I hooked up my Series X to it and was playing Horizon 5 while on a huge screen hovering over my bedroom tv as I watched south park, it was awesome.

Yeah I've had the Nreal Air for a few months now and I literally use them every single day. I game on it sometimes even when I'm sitting in front of my TV because it's just more comfortable. It follows your field of view no matter how you sit or what way you're facing. It's gotta be the best value device I've ever bought in terms of how much use I've gotten out of it and how much I've enjoyed using it. If you want one, I strongly recommend ordering the Rokid Max now though. They are currently shipping. Mine are scheduled to arrive on 5/24. 

I got virtual boy working with deck and n-real last night and oh boy as someone who got the Virtual Boy at launch and LOVED it this is a treat and a half. All my old VB favorites but now without the headaches and a much bigger view and more immersive 3D effect. With the n-real’s oled display it’s perfect for Virtual Boy’s red and black presentation. It really looks like holograms floating around a lot of the time. Also some of these games I only like because of VB nostalgia like Red Alarm and Mario Crash but even some of the non Wario Land ones like Panic Bomber and Jack Bros are legit great. I also have the weirdest soft spot for Waterworld VB.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Who won?

Steam Deck. While Ally has better performance, the battery life suffers due to it. Add the better software and performance at lower wattage, Steam Deck is a better handheld. Ally seems similar to a Switch where you keep it plugged in at home most of the time and use it handheld during specific situations. 

• Thanks 1

Man I really can’t get over the n-real display quality I hooked up my switch to it and everything looks so much better than when blown up on another tv. It like looks better than it does on an oled switch undocked, like it’s that iq just really big. Whereas normally on a 65” tv even switch looks rough stretched out.

The effect kind of varies per game, the really rough stuff like ports like DQ11s and Zelda are still not the best IQ, especially ToLK because the aliasing is still so bad and the fsr and low ish res. But even those at least look a lot better and it makes it a little more acceptable when it’s such a huge screen. Stuff like Mario Sunshine, Cruisin Blast, Mario vs Rabbids 2, and the new Kirby look amazing.

I think for 2d and sdr gaming this might just be about the second best screen you could game on and the second one likely is the rokid max pro. Great for playing remote play style at home on the other consoles too, definitely will be playing a lot of Spider-man 2 on these (unless I cave and get the rokid pro max too lolz). 

That’s pretty sweet that people can grab that kind of quality for just $380 now. I mean my tv is a 65” G2 and I’m blown away by the image quality here.

14 hours ago, legend said:

I have international travel in September, and that might be the right time to finally get one. @Rev has been telling me I should get one for a year now, and the price is looking good.

Nice! If you're gonna go soon, I'd get the Rokid Max asap because shipping might be delayed by a bit. 

• Halal 1

Just now, silentbob said:

Can I just say @Rev @stepeeFUCK YOU GUYS!!!

Do you know how close I am to buying these Rokid Max glasses?!?!

. . . probably just a few hours before I give in:lol:

lmao - I’ll have to wait until Rev’s impressions to see how legit they are but assuming they are just n-real but better - I can’t see anyone being disappointed with these. As long as you aren’t expecting actual smart glasses like google glass and go into this just for the screen tech, it’s a literal game changer for sure.

Also I got dolphin set up for 3D now, have to fidget with the ini more to get the aspect ratio right but I almost got my 3D Mario Galaxy 2 floating in my room. My library for 3ds games on deck is now at 100, a few don’t work, most do. 

I was playing Rayman 2 3DS which is a solid port actually and has a really strong 3D effect with heavy pop out. It’s actually so rad. There is this part with all these butterflies floating outside of the screen on the first stage before you meet the little overseer guys and it was the most hologram shit I’ve seen. I was super high so it literally was blowing my damn mind these super sharp cartoon butterfly sprites just floating around my bedroom.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

lmao - I’ll have to wait until Rev’s impressions to see how legit they are but assuming they are just n-real but better - I can’t see anyone being disappointed with these. As long as you aren’t expecting actual smart glasses like google glass and go into this just for the screen tech, it’s a literal game changer for sure.

I'm thinking purely for my games and maybe my movies. My room gets pretty hot when I watch a movie on my projector in the summer. If I’m watching on my own then these would keep me cooler in my room. Wondering if I can hook it up to my Oppo 203 for my discs 2d/3D watching with the HDMI Adapter I would also be getting. Also wonder if I could still play it with my Atmos setup still providing my sound. Way of Water is getting a 3D release it seems on June 20th and would look stunning on these I would assume

Just now, silentbob said:

I'm thinking purely for my games and maybe my movies. My room gets pretty hot when I watch a movie on my projector in the summer. If I’m watching on my own then these would keep me cooler in my room. Wondering if I can hook it up to my Oppo 203 for my discs 2d/3D watching with the HDMI Adapter I would also be getting. Also wonder if I could still play it with my Atmos setup still providing my sound. Way of Water is getting a 3D release it seems on June 20th and would look stunning on these I would assume

It should work as far as 2D watching assuming it’s like n-real, anything you plug into hdmi works great.

For 3D, you’d want to see that confirmed first if that’s a selling point. I know you can watch 3D video through an android phone and through a computer (though I haven’t set this up myself) but some devices the mode won’t even turn on. Like i tried it on Xbox SX and it wouldn’t go in that mode, though I didn’t check to see if it would work if I played a 3D blu ray and then tried. But on other devices even if it’s not 3D content I can enter the mode. And then I don’t know how any of this will apply to rokid. 

If you have an android phone though I’m pretty sure at the least you’d be able to rip your movies and run them off that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Can I just say @Rev @stepeeFUCK YOU GUYS!!!

Do you know how close I am to buying these Rokid Max glasses?!?!

. . . probably just a few hours before I give in:lol:

There’s a few steps to getting 3DS working right also so ping me if you get a pair and need assistance (if you are interested in that!)

@Rev how long ago did you order the Rokid Max glasses? Just wondering how long I have to wait before they ship. Their website says "Shipping in 2-3 weeks" but just curious if their estimates line up with your experience. I'm excited!

• Halal 2

37 minutes ago, silentbob said:

@Revmake sure you let us know what you think of your glasses that hopefully arrive today for you. 

I also just literally finally caved and just made the purchase 2 minutes ago.

EDIT NOTE:

OH, Fuck You Again @stepee 

If it makes you feel better rev getting the rokid, if he tells me it’s a big step up, means I need to get a rokid too in addition to the n-real ahhhhh

I swear playing on the regular deck screen almost feels wrong now.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

If it makes you feel better rev getting the rokid, if he tells me it’s a big step up, means I need to get a rokid too in addition to the n-real ahhhhh

I swear playing on the regular deck screen almost feels wrong now.

You get the rokid and send me the n-real you won’t need anymore. 

• Shocked 1