Bad parts in great games.

CastletonSnob

3 hours ago, Dre801 said:

Games where your character is usually armed to the teeth, then there's a segment where all your weapons are taken away and you have to sneak around to get them back.  Numerous games have done this and it's always annoying.

I don’t know if you’re referring to Zelda, but both SS and BotW do this in different ways and it’s among the best parts in both games, IMO.  So to me, it depends how it’s done.  Without a puzzle component or a way to gradually build your arsenal back, it’s pretty terrible.

I don't know if it was a 'great game'. It was a fun, silly, early brawler, but the Battletoad's 'hover bike' level kind of really sucked. I think there were 2 different stages with the bike, but the first one was balls. 

Also, the adventure mode and speed golf in Mario Golf Rush. 🥰

Obligatory mention of the final chapters in Bioshock 1 and Half Life 1, the nightmare chapters in Max Payne, blade towers in God of War, that one part in Mario Sunshine where the camera becomes too janky, stealth scenes in Wind Waker, meat circus in Psychonauts.

Also:

- the puzzle in The Last Guardian where you fall through a hole into some water and gotta climb Toriko's tail to get out (with luck and a lot of patience)

- The removal of Ninja Dog mode and puzzles in Sigma, the Rachel chapters, the fact that you can't get nunchucks in hard mode, and the addition of mandatory help items in all difficulty modes that make the game easier across the board.

- The wolf chapters in Twilight Princess

- The shipwreck in RE7

- The Island chapter in RE4 is too long

- The INSANELY long tutorial starting off Okami, and the degree of exposition throughout much of that game. It seriously makes me never want to play it again, and it's a textbook example of how low the expectations of audiences were at that time.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:17 PM, crispy4000 said:

I don’t know if you’re referring to Zelda, but both SS and BotW do this in different ways and it’s among the best parts in both games, IMO.  So to me, it depends how it’s done.  Without a puzzle component or a way to gradually build your arsenal back, it’s pretty terrible.

For BOTW, I believe you're referring to Eventide Island, in which case I wholeheartedly agree with you. That was honestly one of the best parts of the game, and presented a unique challenge that forced you to strategize in order to beat it. I remember how I learned you could attack enemies with a metal object using your magnetic ability. It was one of those eureka moments. Harp on weapon durability, but the physics, and A.I. system are really good in BOTW, and Eventide really showed that aspect of it.

There's a part in the Doc Robot Needle Man stage of Mega Man 3 where you need to use Rush Jet to cross over a huge gap, and there are weapon refill items along the way.

The only problem is, if you die, the energy refill items don't respawn, so if you're out of ammo for Rush Jet, you're fucked.