The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are listed on Steam

dualhunter

3 completed! It was far and away my favorite out of the currently available three games. Much better balanced, more challenge, more variety, more sense of progression and less a sense of "go here get this item so you can go here and get this item so you can go here and get this item so you can go here and get this item" (although it still does that for a while) -- plus more endgame stuff besides just beelining to the final boss, optional content, more secret content, a much better narrative, though still super simple. Good stuff. Can't wait to play 4 now, which I haven't played since I had it on the SNES.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

3 completed! It was far and away my favorite out of the currently available three games. Much better balanced, more challenge, more variety, more sense of progression and less a sense of "go here get this item so you can go here and get this item so you can go here and get this item so you can go here and get this item" (although it still does that for a while) -- plus more endgame stuff besides just beelining to the final boss, optional content, more secret content, a much better narrative, though still super simple. Good stuff. Can't wait to play 4 now, which I haven't played since I had it on the SNES.

This is the first time FFIII 2D version has been officially localized for the US. How was all of that aspect of it? Just curious. Definitely interested in going through these since they aren't too long.

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is the first time FFIII 2D version has been officially localized for the US. How was all of that aspect of it? Just curious. Definitely interested in going through these since they aren't too long.

I'm not sure what you mean, how was what aspect of it? The quality of the localization, or the novelty of it being the first time the 2D version has been localized in English?

Localization struck me as about on par with the rest, with only one anachronism that I could spot where your party says "Are you coming with?" which in my mind was a weird phrasing that started, or at least got popularized nationally, like 15-20 years ago? I still hate it, so it stood out to me. I have no idea why it bothers me so much, but I hate it.

That aside, everything else was perfectly fine, and as I haven't put too much time into any of these games besides 6 (I beat 4 when it came out, but only remember one or two impactful scenes) there's not like a huge novelty factor or anything.

Although I gotta say, I'd love integration of all these games within the toybox (or even anywhere) in FFXIV. Own the games? Play them within FFXIV! Maybe even get a little crazy and set it up like Tetris 99 where you can see everyone else's gameplay if they're in your party. I know no one else would give a shit about that, but FFXIV pays so much homage to the earlier series, I had no idea that the overworld theme of 3 was like, THE theme for Shadowbringers. Hearing it and then thinking back on all the scenes in FFXIV was definitely goosebumps-worthy. Having access to the origins of the series inside a game that cares so much about the series' legacy would be awesome to me. That, and I'm just a huge fan of games-in-games. Playing these games with a chatbox while shooting the shit with my FC would be amazing.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, how was what aspect of it? The quality of the localization, or the novelty of it being the first time the 2D version has been localized in English?

Localization struck me as about on par with the rest, with only one anachronism that I could spot where your party says "Are you coming with?" which in my mind was a weird phrasing that started, or at least got popularized nationally, like 15-20 years ago? I still hate it, so it stood out to me. I have no idea why it bothers me so much, but I hate it.

That aside, everything else was perfectly fine, and as I haven't put too much time into any of these games besides 6 (I beat 4 when it came out, but only remember one or two impactful scenes) there's not like a huge novelty factor or anything.

Although I gotta say, I'd love integration of all these games within the toybox (or even anywhere) in FFXIV. Own the games? Play them within FFXIV! Maybe even get a little crazy and set it up like Tetris 99 where you can see everyone else's gameplay if they're in your party. I know no one else would give a shit about that, but FFXIV pays so much homage to the earlier series, I had no idea that the overworld theme of 3 was like, THE theme for Shadowbringers. Hearing it and then thinking back on all the scenes in FFXIV was definitely goosebumps-worthy. Having access to the origins of the series inside a game that cares so much about the series' legacy would be awesome to me. That, and I'm just a huge fan of games-in-games. Playing these games with a chatbox while shooting the shit with my FC would be amazing.

My question was to both, and you answered them, that helps. It is nice to see FFIII 2D finally in English just so we finally have it.

See, i stay away from D1P for a couple of months, and people talk about me, i swear!

I'm about halfway thorugh FF1 (just got promoted) and i'm just over 10 hours, but i tend to grind.

And @GameDadGrant I never actually played the PSP versions of FF1 and 2. But i think thats because i ended up buying the GBA version...honestly, until recently, i didnt even know there was a PSP version of 1 & 2.

I hope the listings for 4-6 are true, because that would allow me to play through and hopefully complete all of them before the next FFXIV expansion comes out in November.

P.S. - I dont know what the baseball bat thing is about... I dont even own a baseball bat. :kiss:

• Shocked 1

12 hours ago, LionFranco said:

See, i stay away from D1P for a couple of months, and people talk about me, i swear!

I'm about halfway thorugh FF1 (just got promoted) and i'm just over 10 hours, but i tend to grind.

And @GameDadGrant I never actually played the PSP versions of FF1 and 2. But i think thats because i ended up buying the GBA version...honestly, until recently, i didnt even know there was a PSP version of 1 & 2.

I hope the listings for 4-6 are true, because that would allow me to play through and hopefully complete all of them before the next FFXIV expansion comes out in November.

P.S. - I dont know what the baseball bat thing is about... I dont even own a baseball bat. :kiss:

Xbob says you can play the games in FFXIV so if you don't finish them in time you'll be covered.

• 3 weeks later...

FFIV now has a release date: September 8

They also added some screenshots

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1629825828
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The original FINAL FANTASY IV comes to life with completely new graphics and audio! A remodeled 2D take on the fourth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it doesn't include the additions from the portable versions nor do 1-3 and 5-6.

The Saga/Final Fantasy Legends collection is coming to Steam on October 21.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1633020919
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Experience the origins of the SaGa series with the COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND, the first complete port of these hugely popular titles with new enhancements!

No listing yet, but there is a rumor that FFIX and Chrono Cross are getting remasters.

13 hours ago, dualhunter said:

Yeah, it doesn't include the additions from the portable versions nor do 1-3 and 5-6.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Experience the origins of the SaGa series with the COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND, the first complete port of these hugely popular titles with new enhancements!

No listing yet, but there is a rumor that FFIX and Chrono Cross are getting remasters.

The rumor is that 9 is getting a remake, like FFVII, not remaster. That was what was in the leak, anyway.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well you'll be waiting quite a while for that. They have to get Remake Part 2 and however many parts after that out first. :p

Not at all. SE has had multiple teams working on multiple Final Fantasy titles at the same time for decades now, right back to FF8 and 9, right up to now with XIV, VIIR, XVI, and Origins, and reportedly IX. They are a huge team, and definitely have the staff and talent to tackle it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, dualhunter said:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

It's out

I would love an FF9 remake. I've never finished the original. I feel like I always start it on an emulator, play for a few days... and then just forget about it. Most recently I think was me buying the mobile version since it'd be easier for me to access and harder for me to forget about, same thing happened.

It's the damn battles. 3D PSX RPGs had the absolute worst load times and most boring turn-based battles, at least when it came to Square. I'd love to see them keep it turn-based but use all the knowledge they've learned from Octopath and Bravely Default to really make the battles super fun and engaging. I really don't want a real-time action game like FF7.

I had the 3 and 4 3D remakes. Never have I preferred pixels over polygons. Not to say I dislike sprites but I can't think of any instance where I'd prefer pixels when it comes to art style.  

Now gameplay is a different story. When it comes to FF3 and FF4 what is better just to play? Especially 4. I'd like to replay it at some point as I remember nothing aside from that one thing with the MC. I only have an interest in playing it atm because of XIV.  

38 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I would love an FF9 remake. I've never finished the original. I feel like I always start it on an emulator, play for a few days... and then just forget about it. Most recently I think was me buying the mobile version since it'd be easier for me to access and harder for me to forget about, same thing happened.

It's the damn battles. 3D PSX RPGs had the absolute worst load times and most boring turn-based battles, at least when it came to Square. I'd love to see them keep it turn-based but use all the knowledge they've learned from Octopath and Bravely Default to really make the battles super fun and engaging. I really don't want a real-time action game like FF7.

FF9 is probably my favorite or second favorite FF game, but I can't say it's because of the gameplay or progression systems.

Square Enix apparently does not want to put big money on a turn based game anymore. Dragon Quest XI was an outlier, outside of that they haven't done a big budget AAA turn-based game since The Last Remnant in 2008. And I'm pretty sure that's the only one they had done since Sakaguchi left.

A lot of that has to do with the turning away of the Japanese audience from home console/PC that happened around that time, but I do think we are in a resurgence in the Japanese market, at least with Switch/PC. I'm tired of turn based JRPGs getting relegated to the DS and shit, though, or given low budget retro treatment like Octopath.

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The recent releases of it have the increase speed of the game feature if that seems interesting to you. Makes a world of difference.

10 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Uhhhh Dragon Quest XI is great. 

I meant from Square side's internal teams specifically. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

FFXIV is great. Best FF to have ever been made. 

I'm playing it right now, in the middle of Heavensward. It's okay so far. I hear I have to get to Shadowbringers.

No, though VI is in the list of released games with games released on Oct. 20th even though it isn't out and still just says 2021. The same thing happened with IV and V but IV got a release date about a week later whereas V still doesn't have one more than 3 weeks later. It suggests that they had Sept. 30th and Oct. 20th as release dates somewhere in the back end. If they do plan on releasing them a few weeks apart they'll have to release V soon if they want them both out in 2021.

FFV releases November 10th

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1635350944
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The original FINAL FANTASY V comes to life with completely new graphics and audio as a 2D pixel remaster! A remodeled take on the fifth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics.

FFVI still just says 2021.