The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are listed on Steam

dualhunter

There's a bundle with all 6 games

header_ratio.jpg?t=1625074958
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

but it looks like only the first 3 will be released at the end of July and the other 3 will come later.

They're based on the originals so they don't include the added content of the GBA versions or the PSP version of IV. The 3D versions of III and IV have been marked as 3D remakes to differentiate them from the new versions and the current versions of V and VI have been marked as Old Ver. with a warning that they'll be removed the day before the new versions of I-III release.

In the battle screenshots of I and III which didn't have official character names (the 3D remake of III did but not the original) you can see the generic names they used (SQEX01-04 and SQEX3A-D) :lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Someone put this in that Wario64 thread and after seeing it I tend to agree, they should have just ported the PSP games which the spritework, while not like the original, looks a lot better what they turned out for the original re-release and this current one

spacer.png

@GameDadGrant would have been the only one to remember this.

There used to be more members around here that would have remembered these games on PSP. Whatever happened to @Lucian04 and @GigersALIEN or @LionFranco ?

Those guys loved Sony’s handhelds!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Those are 2 of those 3 guys you certainly don't want to bring up. :p

Lbh, you don’t want mention any of the three. The last one is. threatening to murder people with bats on Discord. 

• Shocked 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:17 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

So how are they going to measure demand for this because I recall during E3 many people were like, "Ugh mobile and PC only" I think the demand is there fellas!

They'll measure the demand by all the people who don't buy it cuz they're waiting for it to come to other platforms. Duh!

On 7/2/2021 at 7:02 AM, TheLeon said:

I’m tempted to just splurge on the bundle, but I know that realistically I wouldn’t get halfway through any of these. 

Well, I bought it, like the chump I am. Now I just need to commit to actually playing them…

:lol:

• Haha 1

So I'm chugging through FF1. I just cleared the volcano for the second crystal, which (I'm guessing) puts me at roughly the halfway point. I like the look and feel of this version, although I don't have a ton of experience with other versions to compare it to. Apparently the font has really pissed people off, but I really don't see the problem. 

Like I said, this is my first time making any real progress in this game, and now I remember some of the things that turned me off of it in the past (and they don't bother me now). The magic system is different from most games in the genre, and it feels very limiting at first. The fighter characters are boring, since you don't have any real abilities. What's the point of a thief without Steal?!?

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

So I'm chugging through FF1. I just cleared the volcano for the second crystal, which (I'm guessing) puts me at roughly the halfway point. I like the look and feel of this version, although I don't have a ton of experience with other versions to compare it to. Apparently the font has really pissed people off, but I really don't see the problem. 

Like I said, this is my first time making any real progress in this game, and now I remember some of the things that turned me off of it in the past (and they don't bother me now). The magic system is different from most games in the genre, and it feels very limiting at first. The fighter characters are boring, since you don't have any real abilities. What's the point of a thief without Steal?!?

I’m just moseying through the game and I’m surprised at how it still KINDA holds up. Obviously it’s dated as hell but it’s got enough going for it that I am compelled to keep playing. 

Pacing is the number one thing that turns me off of most RPGs, and it’s pretty good here. From what I understand, they’ve tweaked the difficulty of this game over the years. I’m happy with where it is now, since I haven’t needed to grind at all, just doing the fights along the way. The random encounter rate is maybe a little higher than I would like, but they usually go quick, especially when I can just hit the auto button and let my boys do their thing. 

I like the art a lot more than I did based on the screenshots. Not sure why. They've also added a lot of little effects that fit right in, new high quality pixel art is great. 

Anyway, I beat 1 and 2, which marks the first time I've beaten either of those games. They just feel pretty good to play and are snappy and responsive. They definitely require a lot less grinding than the original versions, which to me is a huge plus because I think grinding is nothing more than willingly wasting your time. 

Working on 3 now, hoping it's not too long before the other 3 games are out. 

52 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'll start with the first. I've never played 1 and 2. Played 3 on DS when it was new. 

1 holds a special place.  All those iconic FF scores and enemies and items...every FF since touches on something from 1.  It's a warm nostalgia blanket.  And it actually holds up decently well for an RPG from that era.

I'd be interested in getting 1 and 2 maybe at some point, but I'd rather get the 3D remakes of 3 and 4 instead of the pixel versions. I wouldn't be surprised if they were now worse than the pixel remasters, but I'll almost always take 3D of 2D. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I like the art a lot more than I did based on the screenshots. Not sure why. They've also added a lot of little effects that fit right in, new high quality pixel art is great. 

Anyway, I beat 1 and 2, which marks the first time I've beaten either of those games. They just feel pretty good to play and are snappy and responsive. They definitely require a lot less grinding than the original versions, which to me is a huge plus because I think grinding is nothing more than willingly wasting your time. 

Working on 3 now, hoping it's not too long before the other 3 games are out. 

DAMN you’re cruising 

I was just coming here to brag that I made it to the final dungeon already, only to find that Xbob is a full game+ ahead of me. :lol:

I've used a walkthrough a couple of times just to find where to go next. It probably wouldn't have been hard to figure out most of the time, but running around every town, talking to every person until you find the one that actually says something useful is one of my least favorite things in games. 

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I was just coming here to brag that I made it to the final dungeon already, only to find that Xbob is a full game+ ahead of me. :lol:

I've used a walkthrough a couple of times just to find where to go next. It probably wouldn't have been hard to figure out most of the time, but running around every town, talking to every person until you find the one that actually says something useful is one of my least favorite things in games. 

How long do you think it took you?

20 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Damn! Way shorter than I thought. 

Yeah, I was a little surprised as well, but it started to make sense when I broke it down. 

-there is basically zero story/plot. 

-most battles are fast and easy. Even bosses up to this point have been shockingly easy. I've only had one Game Over, where an instant death spell hit three of my dudes at once. I never had to stop and grind for EXP or money. 

-the in-game maps for the dungeons made most of them a lot less of a headache than they could have been. 

-Add maybe an hour or two to my total if I didn't look at a guide at all, but that would have just been wandering around a world that's ultimately fairly small. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Damn! Way shorter than I thought. 

Maps and guides are clutch.  I remember back in the day this being a 20+ hour game.  But a lot of that was exploring and trying to figure out what you needed to do next.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

DAMN you’re cruising 

I was actually amazed by how short they were. In my head these were always impossibly long games from my childhood, but each one was like 8-14 hours or so, after subtracting "left the game open" time. I used a walkthrough twice in the first game, each time I had no idea where to go and while I was patiently talking to every NPC in the world (there aren't many) I got kind of bored of that and just looked it up. Didn't need a guide at all for the second one, though I did look up why a certain spell sucked so much ass.

A good way through 3 now and it's my favorite of this early NES bunch, I think. Lots of fun classes and, at least for these remasters, the difficulty seems a little better. I basically auto-attacked my way through the first two, but have been stopped cold in my tracks by long dungeons or boss fights in 3, which I have overcome with 0 grinding, but rather swapping classes, thinking about ways to deal with how they fight, etc. I'm sure with the right comp you could still roll over the entire game, but I'm mostly just picking whatever new classes I think sound fun and sticking with them for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I was actually amazed by how short they were. In my head these were always impossibly long games from my childhood, but each one was like 8-14 hours or so, after subtracting "left the game open" time. I used a walkthrough twice in the first game, each time I had no idea where to go and while I was patiently talking to every NPC in the world (there aren't many) I got kind of bored of that and just looked it up. Didn't need a guide at all for the second one, though I did look up why a certain spell sucked so much ass.

A good way through 3 now and it's my favorite of this early NES bunch, I think. Lots of fun classes and, at least for these remasters, the difficulty seems a little better. I basically auto-attacked my way through the first two, but have been stopped cold in my tracks by long dungeons or boss fights in 3, which I have overcome with 0 grinding, but rather swapping classes, thinking about ways to deal with how they fight, etc. I'm sure with the right comp you could still roll over the entire game, but I'm mostly just picking whatever new classes I think sound fun and sticking with them for a while.

Same in my head they’re at LEAST 20 hour games and I had recently checked HLTB but I guess with difficulty adjustments, in game maps, and just better guides if needed anymore they are obviously a lot quicker to get through. Which is great cuz I’ve never played the first 3 and would like to experience them. 

The original FF game on the NES was slooooooooooow. IIRC you had to buy potions one at a time and there were plenty of scenarios where it made sense to roll into dungeons with 99 of them. Just picking up the pace and allowing the purchase of multiple items at a pop would save literal hours.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The original FF game on the NES was slooooooooooow. IIRC you had to buy potions one at a time and there were plenty of scenarios where it made sense to roll into dungeons with 99 of them. Just picking up the pace and allowing the purchase of multiple items at a pop would save literal hours.

The NES was definitely a lot slower. The QoL adjustments in these versions (and I assume other remakes of them) make a huge difference, as can be seen just by watching anyone do a non-TASbot speedrun. XP gains were also a lot lower, the games were just all about a bunch of mindless grinding, which was dope as hell back when you had unlimited free time as a child, but a lot less dope when you're an adult.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

The NES was definitely a lot slower. The QoL adjustments in these versions (and I assume other remakes of them) make a huge difference, as can be seen just by watching anyone do a non-TASbot speedrun. XP gains were also a lot lower, the games were just all about a bunch of mindless grinding, which was dope as hell back when you had unlimited free time as a child, but a lot less dope when you're an adult.

True.

All this chatter reminded me of the Nintendo Power contest where you could win a Final Fantasy crystal orb if you (I think) sent a picture of Warmech to the magazine. Looking it up, seems like someone tried to sell one for a quarter million dollars lul.