Canada to further clamp down on freedom of speech

35 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The only speech worth protecting is the speech that everyone agrees with. 

80273529ddaafcbf2954626bb5af638e.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

The proposed law would likely run afoul of the First Amendment in the U.S., but despite popular misconceptions Canada is actually its own country.

If you don't like it, you can get oot not go there in the first place. Or just don't use hate speech. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is Canadian hate speech something like, "Ah you hoser you spilled a glass of water on my table cloth, I'm so sorry for setting it too close to you!"

Close. Hate speech in Canada is when someone does something bad (accidentally) to you, but you don't also say sorry.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Brick said:

You disagree that hate speech can threaten the health and well-being of its targets? How so? 

I don’t believe words threaten the safety and well being of people, actions do. You don’t have to agree with that, but that is my position and as such I disagree with laws that limit saying mean things.

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t believe words threaten the safety and well being of people, actions do. You don’t have to agree with that, but that is my position and as such I disagree with laws that limit saying mean things.

I think that's a limited way to view things. Words can inspire action. If I'm on every night on the radio, TV, or Internet talking about how X people are a threat, and are going to replace us, that can inspire some crazy nutjob to violence. You don't get these crazy mass shooters killing Muslims, or Hispanic people, or any other minority without someone like Trump, Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Tucker Carlson, David Duke, or any other far right fear mongering asshole grifter screaming in their ear that they're being threatened. They spew hate speech, some more overtly than others, and it gets in the minds of people that would act on those thoughts. Those acts turn to violence. 

I agree with laws like that in principle, but who gets to decide what's hate speech and what isn't? I feel like it just eggs on the crazies' victim complex. Damn near everything can be considered hate speech to someone. I'd rather not open that door.

Plus, I like my racists out in the open, where I can see them.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

I think that's a limited way to view things. Words can inspire action. If I'm on every night on the radio, TV, or Internet talking about how X people are a threat, and are going to replace us, that can inspire some crazy nutjob to violence. You don't get these crazy mass shooters killing Muslims, or Hispanic people, or any other minority without someone like Trump, Alex Jones, Ben Shapiro, Tucker Carlson, David Duke, or any other far right fear mongering asshole grifter screaming in their ear that they're being threatened. They spew hate speech, some more overtly than others, and it gets in the minds of people that would act on those thoughts. Those acts turn to violence. 

A dude went and shot up the congressional GOP baseball team nearly killing one because of Bernie Sanders rhetoric about healthcare. All sorts of things have inspired evil acts, so how do you create any standard besides actual incitement of violence? 

Curtailing mean speech isn’t a slippery slope, it’s a problem itself because as @Fizzzzlesaid, who decides what qualifies? People o this very board regularly call for or wish for the killing or harm to those for which they have political disagreements. Does that qualify?

I think it is perfectly reasonable to bar incitement as it is a direct and present danger to those who are the target. But I don’t think generic mean words should be limited by law. 

42 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's almost always going to be right wingers who get cought up in these things about hate speech because, surprise surprise, they're the ones who regularly invite racial hatred. Hell, just look at who actually does domestic terror attacks, the rhetoric is right there

Or it could be that the people who want to suppress speech are almost always lefties and as such the standards for speech suppression target their political enemies.

Oh wait, it is exactly that :p 

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Or it could be that the people who want to suppress speech are almost always lefties and as such the standards for speech suppression target their political enemies.

Don't pretend that the right isn't about suppression of speech

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Guilty as charged!

If given the opportunity, I would ENTHUSIASTICALLY suppress the hell out of the speech of those in opposition to me.  In fact, I won't stop at speech - I would extend it to their very thoughts.

And quite frankly, deep down inside in those dark places where your mind fears to tread, each and every person on this board would do the same as well - why resist remaking the world in your image if you had the opportunity?  You'd be foolish no to if you had the power to do so.

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Guilty as charged!

If given the opportunity, I would ENTHUSIASTICALLY suppress the hell out of the speech of those in opposition to me.  In fact, I won't stop at speech - I would extend it to their very thoughts.

And quite frankly, deep down inside in those dark places where your mind fears to tread, each and every person on this board would do the same as well - why resist remaking the world in your image if you had the opportunity?  You'd be foolish no to if you had the power to do so.

You obviously haven’t fathered a child who is a tiny version of yourself which constantly reminds you of all the worst traits you possess.

The world does NOT need more me :p 

33 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Who’s working on regulating that topics related to racial inequality cannot be taught in schools, that social media platforms cannot ban political candidates,  etc.? I know what you’re getting at but come on now. 

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Who’s working on regulating that topics related to racial inequality cannot be taught in schools, that social media platforms cannot ban political candidates,  etc.? I know what you’re getting at but come on now. 

Since I guess it was not abundantly clear in context, I’m talking about the suppression of an individual’s ability to say whatever they want. Public school teachers or other such employees being limited in their workplace is not a concern of mine. And banning companies that want to be treated as platforms and held non-liable for whatever content is on their service shouldn’t receive such protection while also acting in an editorial fashion, so long as the content is not illegal.

These things are not at all at odds with each other. Personally I think companies shouldn’t be protected from what’s on their services once they have been made aware of it AND they should be able to do what editorial nonsense they want :p 

Plain and simple. Free speech is what got us to this point of hyper-partisanship in this country. The ability to just make something up in this country and have it parroted by 1000s of blog site masquerading as "news outlets" and then treated as fact by people that can't understand how easy it is to debunk said thing is problematic. The internet is seriously one of mankind's greatest creations and also the worst.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Falling out of an airplane doesn't threaten people, it's the goddamn ground that kills 'em!

Talking about falling from an airplane does not threaten your safety.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t believe words threaten the safety and well being of people, actions do.

Words lead to actions.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Talking about falling from an airplane does not threaten your safety.

But someone suggesting that you fall from an airplane would be beneficial could lead to someone acting on those words.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Words lead to actions.

But someone suggesting that you fall from an airplane would be beneficial could lead to someone acting on those words.

Incitement is not protected speech, and it shouldn’t be. Saying mean words is not incitement. “Could” isn’t a good enough standard.

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Incitement is not protected speech, and it shouldn’t be. Saying mean words is not incitement. “Could” isn’t a good enough standard.

Hmm... Sure seems to be a lot of minimizing of hate speech to just "mean" speech. There's a vast difference between "mean" speech and "the entire purpose of our group is to hate and dehumanize these people, also members of the hate group we have created consistently commit or encourage acts of violence against those we hate." But of course if you obfuscate that with enough layers then technically it's no longer "incitement" and is just "mean."

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Words can and do create a sense of permissability in people who will then take action. 

Maybe the problem is labeling it hate "speech" when what it really is, is stochastic terrorism. 

11 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

I’m 100% in support of marking alt-right race-based shit as hate speech and banning the fuck out of it 

And when the other side is in power, and they decide what is and isn't hate speech? What then? 

It's very easy to look at one side of the coin and only see benefits, while completely ignoring the other.

34 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And when the other side is in power, and they decide what is and isn't hate speech? What then? 

It's very easy to look at one side of the coin and only see benefits, while completely ignoring the other.

That's where the gulags come in.  They will ensure that the "other side" doesn't exist any further.