QUAKE (remastered visuals, old & new DLCs, Quake 64, local/online MP w/cross-play) now available for PC/Xbox consoles/PS4/Switch for $9.99

On 6/22/2021 at 10:08 AM, chakoo said:

I enjoy the Quake 2 -> Quake 4 universe, I actually think Q4 was better than what people were shitting on back when it came out. Yet with that said I would love for them to go back into the more gothic style of Quake 1 again. 

I’ve only ever played Quake 4, and I enjoyed it for what it was. That should mean the franchise only gets better as I play more of them, correct? :thinking:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: "Quake" has been rated by the ESRB
Quake-Remastered-Korea_08-19-21.jpg
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated the unannounced Quake Remastered. Additionally, the Entertainment Software Rating Board has rated Quake for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series…

So I guess Quake is now out? I see it's out on Switch, so I would imagine the same applies for all other platforms. 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/quake-switch/

EDIT: Yup. Available on other platforms!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1003-CUSA24593_00-QKRMST0000000000/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/Quake/9P1Z43KRNQD4#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to QUAKE (remastered visuals, old & new DLCs, Quake 64, local/online MP w/cross-play) now available for PC/Xbox consoles/PS4/Switch for $9.99
55 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not blown away by the graphics of a game from 1996?

It's not that. I own multiple copies of quake (the entire series) and I'm old enough that I actually played quake when it first came out, just the thread title and store description make reference to visual enhancements but the screenshots on nintendo site look kind of worse. I also remember the doom 1/2/64 ports having some quality issues at launch that got later improved. I just want to check if anybody else bought the switch version before diving in. 

I'm not magically expecting Q2 RTX here. :) 

11 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I played a couple levels on Xbox. I think I like the idea of these old school FPS games more than I actually enjoy playing them. 

I got it because nostalgia and who knows, but I was never a big fan of their single player (going to multiplayer only in Q3 was a really good decision), and replaying it now, I think that still holds true. Bottom line is if you want an arcady twitch shooter, modern Doom Eternal is about 1000x better.

56 minutes ago, legend said:

I got it because nostalgia and who knows, but I was never a big fan of their single player (going to multiplayer only in Q3 was a really good decision), and replaying it now, I think that still holds true. Bottom line is if you want an arcady twitch shooter, modern Doom Eternal is about 1000x better.

Any reason to get these if you already have them all on Steam?

Edit: Ah, I guess they get it for free.

49 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah, I have Doom Eternal downloaded as well. I’ve been holding off on that one for no good reason. 

1 hour ago, legend said:

They're definitely a product of their time. You have to be in the right mental state to enjoy them, much like any decades+ old game. For me, sometimes I crave the simplicity of a game like Quake without the hundreds of weapon upgrades, the achievements, all the extra keybindings tied to a whole menagerie of abilities. Dumb fun. Leave-your-brain-at-the-door fun. Thinking hurts and uses up valuable nutrients in the body that could be used to click a mouse button faster.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

They're definitely a product of their time. You have to be in the right mental state to enjoy them, much like any decades+ old game. For me, sometimes I crave the simplicity of a game like Quake without the hundreds of weapon upgrades, the achievements, all the extra keybindings tied to a whole menagerie of abilities. Dumb fun. Leave-your-brain-at-the-door fun. Thinking hurts and uses up valuable nutrients in the body that could be used to click a mouse button faster.

That's the tricky thing for me. I think that I want that simplicity, but after like 10 minutes of mindlessly skating through corridors, blasting everything that moves with a double barrel shotgun, I start to feel hollow inside, and not in a good zen way. 

21 hours ago, TheLeon said:

That's the tricky thing for me. I think that I want that simplicity, but after like 10 minutes of mindlessly skating through corridors, blasting everything that moves with a double barrel shotgun, I start to feel hollow inside, and not in a good zen way. 

I'm kinda in the same boat. This my first time playing a Quake game it is enjoyable for what it is but I think the part that I don't like is the level designs. So far a lot of the stages all kinda look the same and in order to progress you have to find a hidden key to open the door to progress to the next level. I think that's why when Goldeneye for the N64 came out and added different objectives to finish the level I really got into FPS's. Much more diversity in level design.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I just got done finishing up with Duke Nukem 3D World Tour on Switch a few days ago. Maybe I should dust off my digital copy, and actually give this a go. 

Speaking of which, for anyone who have Quake remaster for consoles, but would rather play with the precision of a Keyboard/Mouse, you're in luck as a couple months ago, this feature was added: 

untitled-1-1634125633486.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Bethesda has quietly added keyboard and mouse controles to the Quake Remaster on console, including Nintendo Switch.

I did briefly try this out about a month ago on Switch, and it is just as advertised. Plug n' Play keyboard and mouse support. Now if only MORE Retro shooters would add this to console versions...

• 1 year later...

They did this same type of remaster for Quake 2 now, available for everything for $10, on gamepass, and if you own it on Steam already then that version gets updated to the new version for free. Also includes Quake 2 64 and other bonuses/new content.

QII_Launch_HERO_1920x870.png?fit=fill&w=
BETHESDA.NET

Reintroducing the legendary FPS upgraded with new content, cross-play online multiplayer and co-op, bot support, visual enhancements and more!

It’s a fantastic port just like they did with Quake 1. I like these kind of basic QOL definitive edition type ports they are doing. Since this one already has a version with ray tracing on PC, I wish that was included here too though. I’d rather play this version going forward but I’m a bit spoiled by those light bounces. Otherwise the colored lighting here looks nice.