Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance | Now Coming to Xbox, Switch, Playstation and PC June 21, 2024

Keyser_Soze

Not too much to say really. Looks like a MegaTen game, hope it's good. 4 was pretty dang good and had a very interesting setting.

A minor complaint: A lot of that UI stuff looks weird to me.

G03aXRK.png

Stuff like this looks like something I'd expect to see on a Pokemon card or on maybe a Japanese website about a game?

Obviously not a big deal or anything, it just feels really out of place when MegaTen games tend to be pretty dark with very simple, hard-edged UI elements.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Not too much to say really. Looks like a MegaTen game, hope it's good. 4 was pretty dang good and had a very interesting setting.

A minor complaint: A lot of that UI stuff looks weird to me.

G03aXRK.png

Stuff like this looks like something I'd expect to see on a Pokemon card or on maybe a Japanese website about a game?

Obviously not a big deal or anything, it just feels really out of place when MegaTen games tend to be pretty dark with very simple, hard-edged UI elements.

The styling looks exactly like the UI elements they used in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I never once heard or seen one of these games lol.

Have you ever heard of the Persona games? Those are a spin off of the Megami Tensei games. These games have been around since the NES days.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

The styling looks exactly like the UI elements they used in Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Have you ever heard of the Persona games? Those are a spin off of the Megami Tensei games. These games have been around since the NES days.

That is so strange that I never heard of these games. Yes, I'm familiar with Persona. 

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That is so strange that I never heard of these games. Yes, I'm familiar with Persona. 

Aside of the Persona games, the series isn't THAT popular outside of Japan. The core series has a million spinoffs that are really just an excuse for Atlas to reuse character designs and models. The mainline games are a lot less "anime" than the newer Persona games. SMTIV was so good. This is a franchise where it's perfectly viable and you're not considered to be getting the bad ending when you choose to become the antichrist or say fuck it and kill everyone on Earth.

• Thanks 1

Just now, GameDadGrant said:

The Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty difficult, too. At least for me.

I think I'd more call them unforgiving. They're totally fair, but the games really expect you to fully make use of all the game mechanics. Just plow through all the enemies to grind through levels will leave you in a bad place. Spend too much time befriending demons and merging them will result in the same. You just need to strike a good balance.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Just plow through all the enemies to grind through levels will leave you in a bad place.

That may be my problem. That’s how I play most RPGs...I’ll grind, grind, grind until my party is so OP I can simply walk into the boss encounter and just wreck house.

I can usually prevail but like...barely, lol.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

That may be my problem. That’s how I play most RPGs...I’ll grind, grind, grind until my party is so OP I can simply walk into the boss encounter and just wreck house.

I can usually prevail but like...barely, lol.

Did you play through Tokyo Mirage Sessions? The level up room was WAY too easy to abuse. I hit level 99 with far too much game yet to be played.

42 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I haven't. It's on my to-do list! 

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is for you then. Enemies don't scale, so spend some time in the leveling dungeon where everything gives you double XP and you'll be able to stomp your way through the game.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ll give SMT IV another shot before this comes out. I don’t remember much about it, or why it didn’t click with me. 

SMT IV while having the same gameplay as previous games, always felt much different and to be honest I can't say why. It's not just that it was on the 3DS. I know I logged in some serious hours on it, but I don't think I ever finished it. (not that that should surprise anyone) 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now, I know I don’t want this. I spent a lot of Persona 5 waiting for the exit social bit to start…but I also really like the capturing demons part, the apparent lack of teenage anime guff and…it’s in the Switch so I won’t feel like I’m sitting down for 20 years, doing nothing else.

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Can we talk about how it takes them 8 fucking years between mainline releases despite them always being budget handheld games nowadays?

The mainline series just isn't all that popular. Atlus, itself, is a pretty tiny developer. I have no idea how they're structured, but I imagine any resources spent on SMT are resources taken away from whatever Persona project they have going on, and they currently have like a million of those going on right now.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Hold out hope it comes to steam and this is a timed exclusive.

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

Never even thought of that. Shit, I hope it happens too. 

Or take those ten years and save one dollar a year to come up with the $60!  You can do it bruh.