Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance | Now Coming to Xbox, Switch, Playstation and PC June 21, 2024

Keyser_Soze

Man, SMT continues to get a shoestring budget while Atlus balloons as a company. Animations are weak and stiff, voice acting is sparse (though some of it is quite good) and while there are some neat things like battle music not starting until the first attack is cast, the battle music that does start is just... kind of boring.

Still early on, so not trying to judge it too harshly just yet, just feels like the budget really limited them in terms of production quality. And frankly so far I think the opening hour or two (or however long it took to get to the "thing" at the start) of SMT IV was way, WAY cooler. Still waiting for a moment like that here... hoping it wasn't the very beginning.

And yes, the UI still 100% looks built for mobile. So weird.

I like the shit-talking the demons do, though! As bizarre and funny as ever.

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Man, SMT continues to get a shoestring budget while Atlus balloons as a company. Animations are weak and stiff, voice acting is sparse (though some of it is quite good) and while there are some neat things like battle music not starting until the first attack is cast, the battle music that does start is just... kind of boring.

Still early on, so not trying to judge it too harshly just yet, just feels like the budget really limited them in terms of production quality. And frankly so far I think the opening hour or two (or however long it took to get to the "thing" at the start) of SMT IV was way, WAY cooler. Still waiting for a moment like that here... hoping it wasn't the very beginning.

And yes, the UI still 100% looks built for mobile. So weird.

I like the shit-talking the demons do, though! As bizarre and funny as ever.

This is probably the stuff @Rev meant!

42 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes it’s a JRPG. Grinding is the game lol. But was wondering if it was maybe my tactics that I was using and not so much my level. Anyway I’ll probably grind some this morning and try him again. 

Ok, I wasn't sure. I was an expert at grinding back when I played ff11 online :p

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

@Xbob42tell me you ain't playing this shit on hard mode.  Its brutal playing normal.

Of course I'm playing Hard Mode! Just got to the first boss, at the tower. His AOE attack instantly killed two of my demons and by the time I finally died several turns later he had like 85% of his HP left. Gonna be fun!

• Shocked 1

lol, this fuckin' game.

Level up my team, get new demons with better resistances and attacks, change my personal loadout to be more useful in the fight, bring consumables, all kinds of shit just to get beyond the first boss.

15 minutes into the fight he's in the red and almost dead...

Spoiler

My remaining (useful) team is 3 demons, one who blocks fire attacks (which the boss uses) and two that are weak to fire (all other demons out of MP and are basically useless if I want to not be trapped in a healing loop) but have strong ice magic, which is what he's weak to.

Going fine for quite some time, because any time any spell misses or is blocked, that team loses two turns. The boss starts with two, and he always does his fire attack first if he's going to use it. So in other words, if he misses or gets that attack nullified, he wastes his entire turn.

This happens several times throughout the fight because of my demon that is immune to fire. Well at this point the game wants to pull a little bullshit and, since the fire attack appears to hit random targets x to y times rather than hitting the entire group, it only hits my demons weak to fire, and enough times to kill them.

This kind of sucks, but isn't the end of the world. I knew this was a possibility even if rare but in this case the boss gets an extra turn instead of losing both.

Well the motherfucker decides now's the time to crit my full HP main character 3 times in a row! The first crit is the extra attack, then he moves on to his last "normal" attack, but of course since he crits he gets one more extra attack... and also crits. Game over. This motherfucker has critted me with normal attacks like once in 15 tries. Guess he was saving them up to raw dog me in front of my fire immune demon.

OH! I almost forgot to mention, all this began because I used an ice gem (item that deals heavy ice damage) and it fucking MISSED so I lost my turn! I had no idea items could miss, and this was the first one in my entire playthrough that did! My plan was to guard with the two ice demons after getting my extra turn from the ice damage because it was getting close!

It was always a risk with the team I've got, but frankly on Hard the fight is so long I can't afford to be picky, unless I want to grind out 3 more levels and bring more fire immunity, but at that point it'd feel more like me winning through numbers rather than play and I don't enjoy that. Let's see if I can do this again and win...

Okay, got the bastard! Went a lot smoother this time, only lost two demons.

Also: The worst part of all that bullshit happening was that I just laughed since it was so ridiculous and then held the screenshot button to take a video, only to be greeted with "This software doesn't allow video recordings." Thanks Atlus, you fucking morons, wouldn't want shareable moments to happen for your niche game or anything. But you'll toootally protect the story from the hundreds of thousands of people with capture cards or the billions with cellphones.

I feel your pain. Was doing a side quest where you have to fight this certain demon. (Don’t want to spoil it for you) But anyway after going round after round I finally get this guy to like 5HP. So I’m thinking next turn I got his ass. Nope…..he takes his final turn…..crits my MC twice in a row and……..GAME OVER.  This game man is brutal. And I’m playing on normal. Couldn’t imagine playing this on hard. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I feel your pain. Was doing a side quest where you have to fight this certain demon. (Don’t want to spoil it for you) But anyway after going round after round I finally get this guy to like 5HP. So I’m thinking next turn I got his ass. Nope…..he takes his final turn…..crits my MC twice in a row and……..GAME OVER.  This game man is brutal. And I’m playing on normal. Couldn’t imagine playing this on hard. 

So normal is a bitch and easy is too easy to enjoy the game, correct? Sorry to hear this.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

So normal is a bitch and easy is too easy to enjoy the game, correct? Sorry to hear this.

Don't be sorry. The game is fantastic and I'm having a blast. You just can't take anything for granted when planning your strategy out. Normal gives you a very nice challenge. But casual is a cake walk. Wasn't fun at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Don't be sorry. The game is fantastic and I'm having a blast. You just can't take anything for granted when planning your strategy out. Normal gives you a very nice challenge. But casual is a cake walk. Wasn't fun at all.

Ok, great! Plus playing on the oled is a treat, too.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just watched the easy allies review and they say it's a bitch on normal (like you mentioned biggie). Overall they loved it and gave it a 9/10. It looked cool just not my thing.

Normal for me is hard mode. Hard mode is if you hate yourself.