Bloodstained Sequel Confirmed in Development

Brian

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They made enough money to not have to kickstart the sequel!

While true... this:

2 hours ago, stepee said:

YEAHHHH kickstart it again if you want, i’ll back it again easily.

Me too and I hope they do it to try to reach some crazy goals.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Iga makes some of my absolutely favorite gameplay so I don’t care what it looks like TOO much, but yeah 32bit sprites would be amazing, or just like make it look better with unity or use gears style shading!

I'm just not a fan of that Unity 2.5D anime-esque stuff. The main character looked so much better in Blasphemous in its DLC in its crossover with Bloodstained. I didn't even realize the retro-style companion game Curse of the Moon already received a sequel Curse of the Moon 2 (both by Inti Creates).

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm just not a fan of that Unity 2.5D anime-esque stuff. The main character looked so much better in Blasphemous in its DLC in its crossover with Bloodstained. I didn't even realize the retro-style companion game Curse of the Moon already received a sequel Curse of the Moon 2 (both by Inti Creates).

Have you seen Bloodstained on a high end TV? I wasn't impressed with it on my old Sony 1080p but when I upgraded to my LG it made a huge difference.

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just make 32 bit pixel butt graphics a toggle so people with poor taste like @Greatoneshere can be happy.

Bad opinion is bad. :p 

14 hours ago, DPCyric said:

Have you seen Bloodstained on a high end TV? I wasn't impressed with it on my old Sony 1080p but when I upgraded to my LG it made a huge difference.

It's a gorgeous game in that sense, I'm just not a fan of the designs/art style over something more like Symphony of the Night (or better). Pseudo 2.5D look is something I never got into. I'll play games like it (Shadow Complex, etc.) and enjoy them but I dunno. 

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Imagine missing out on a great game because you haven't had your fill of indie pixel art yet.

Haha I'm not intentionally missing the game because of that, I wasn't that interested compared to other games in my backlog anyway. I just meant that it'd be cool for Iga specifically to go back and do a modern spin on 32-bit pixel art is all. I've heard the game is indeed great, which is no surprise.

While I wouldn't be opposed to that at all, I also don't think they'd have the technical chops to make art on the level of SotN or anywhere close to it. That was Konami at the pinnacle of their 2D artistic prowess. They were masters of the craft... I think that's why they went 8-bit with for Curse of the Moon. Much less resource intensive and not quite as difficult to get to look right. I think 8-bit would be a disservice to the game, so if they weren't able to go full 32-bit with all the crazy animation stuff I personally would find it to be a downgrade.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

While I wouldn't be opposed to that at all, I also don't think they'd have the technical chops to make art on the level of SotN or anywhere close to it. That was Konami at the pinnacle of their 2D artistic prowess. They were masters of the craft... I think that's why they went 8-bit with for Curse of the Moon. Much less resource intensive and not quite as difficult to get to look right. I think 8-bit would be a disservice to the game, so if they weren't able to go full 32-bit with all the crazy animation stuff I personally would find it to be a downgrade.

I agree with you there about 8-bit being a disservice. Inti Creates does the Curse of the Moon games, not Iga's studio ArtPlay, so that probably contributes to. If Blasphemous can do it I feel like ArtPlay can? If they can't do 32-bit I agree they shouldn't bother then, but if other indie games can, surely Iga can do it. But perhaps not. Seems like their current style would be even more expensive than 32-bit? I dunno the cost with these things. :p 

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Skullgirls style sprites

spacer.png

Yeah that level of detail would be nice. Obviously a different art style, but nice big sprites full of detail. Why settle for sprites like from Symphony of the Night, when we can do so much better now? Imagine a new Castlevania or Bloodstained with that gothic art style with enemy designs where you can actually see the faces of the more human-like enemies, and the more monstrous ones have very cool designs. 

If I remember correctly they stated they went 3D specifically because it was super hard to find people capable of making highly detailed sprites now. I would love it if they could go that way, but I ended up really liking the final look of the game.

Yeah, high detail spritework is a very specialized talent and, as I understand it, is EXTREMELY resource intensive in that you have to pay an artist for a long damn time because they take forever to make, and to animate well? Hoo boy. I think we need to remember that even going a cheaper/easier to animate route with Bloodstained, the animations are still fairly basic. I would love for some insanely high detailed spritework, I adore that stuff! But man, I just don't see it happening unless the game did EXTREMELY well. I know a couple people who make decent sprites, and the bigger and more detailed the get it seems to exponentially increase the workload. And that's not even accounting for environments and enemies, weapon variations, traversal abilities... And I shudder to think of them trying some of the 2.5D camera-moving stuff (because you know they'd want to) with a sprite-based game, unless they went with some weird 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds look which I think would come across as tacky.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, high detail spritework is a very specialized talent and, as I understand it, is EXTREMELY resource intensive in that you have to pay an artist for a long damn time because they take forever to make, and to animate well? Hoo boy. I think we need to remember that even going a cheaper/easier to animate route with Bloodstained, the animations are still fairly basic. I would love for some insanely high detailed spritework, I adore that stuff! But man, I just don't see it happening unless the game did EXTREMELY well. I know a couple people who make decent sprites, and the bigger and more detailed the get it seems to exponentially increase the workload. And that's not even accounting for environments and enemies, weapon variations, traversal abilities... And I shudder to think of them trying some of the 2.5D camera-moving stuff (because you know they'd want to) with a sprite-based game, unless they went with some weird 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds look which I think would come across as tacky.

Since it’s such a specialized talent too, that means you have to pay more for the talent. I think that’s the hardest part unless you are forming a studio based around that because that’s what you guys do, it’s probably a lot cheaper to pay people who know how to use standardized tools.

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

OK so instead of sprites, what about just 2D animations like a cartoon? 

I think that would be amazing and unbelievably expensive. At least if you want it to look like a cartoon and not like a flash animation. I think their best bet for this kind of approach might be something similar to Guilty Gear Xrd, where you take a 3D model and make it appear 2D to give it a more stylized look.

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think that would be amazing and unbelievably expensive. At least if you want it to look like a cartoon and not like a flash animation. I think their best bet for this kind of approach might be something similar to Guilty Gear Xrd, where you take a 3D model and make it appear 2D to give it a more stylized look.

This is what I would like to see unless they go full on Deedlit in Wonder Labrynth which would be ok too.