Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

I mean it’s weird though right? The recommended GPUs are a RTX 2080 or a RX 6800 XT. Which isn’t the AMD card necessary quite a bit more powerful than the Nvidia card? 

So is this a move by AMD to keep from looking like clowns when 30 and 40 series cards would have had 2-3x the performance because of DLSS? 

what am I missing here if Nvidia cards were already expected to run Starfield better? 

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe. I think the only DLSS mod for Jedi survivor is a DLSS 3 mod that only targets 40 series cards. So I was kind of stuck. 

Starfield could be different with more mod support, but I guess I’ll have to wait and see if any modders care about adding in DLSS 2.5 support. 

They actually did add dlss2 to the mod for Jedi and it works on 3000 series cards! I know the Elden Ring mod also adds dlss2. I think they all might. I know REngine also has dlss2 mods.

I think puredark can add dlss to anything with fsr so as long as he is still doing these I would almost count on it!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No they're watching the combat in their crystal balls... not anything that we've seen so far.

You don't need a crystal ball to know the gameplay is going to suck shit, you need two braincells that can remember literally any other Bethesda game. I dunno how deep in your ass you people store your completely unreasonable hype, but you gotta come out for air some time!

On 6/26/2023 at 1:31 PM, best3444 said:

Yea, in all honesty I could live with 10 planets with life as long as they were detailed and fun to explore

:lol:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You don't need a crystal ball to know the gameplay is going to suck shit, you need two braincells that can remember literally any other Bethesda game. I dunno how deep in your ass you people store your completely unreasonable hype, but you gotta come out for air some time!

I think it's because most people... don't care?

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim are some of the most fun I've ever had exploring a video game ever. While I realize that Skyrim came out over a decade ago and Fallout 4 felt much more copypasta and boring, I can't help but have hope that it will be more of what I love from BGS. And also that MS buying Bethesda is probably the best thing that could have happened to them (since 2013 or so, Bethesda has been ran like shit, running away from anything that requires actual investment)

I don't care that the combat sucks. Complaining that the combat sucks is like complaining the chocobo racing mechanics in final fantasy games sucks. Of course it does. If you're playing final fantasy games for chocobo racing, you're buying an airplane for free peanuts (you could argue that if you're playing final fantasy games for good combat over the last 15 years is also the same)

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I think it's because most people... don't care?

Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim are some of the most fun I've ever had exploring a video game ever. While I realize that Skyrim came out over a decade ago and Fallout 4 felt much more copypasta and boring, I can't help but have hope that it will be more of what I love from BGS. And also that MS buying Bethesda is probably the best thing that could have happened to them (since 2013 or so, Bethesda has been ran like shit, running away from anything that requires actual investment)

I don't care that the combat sucks. Complaining that the combat sucks is like complaining the chocobo racing mechanics in final fantasy games sucks. Of course it does. If you're playing final fantasy games for chocobo racing, you're buying an airplane for free peanuts (you could argue that if you're playing final fantasy games for good combat over the last 15 years is also the same)

I think more people care than you think, but even if 0 people on the planet cared, I still would, because combat is not a fuckin' chocobo racing minigame. Bethesda titles are absolutely, positively riddled with combat. If it actually was some side thing you barely engaged with, I probably wouldn't care either. But it's not, it's front and center, one of the main ways you actually show any agency at all in these titles.

Also, for me personally, the novelty of what Bethesda games bring to the table wore off ages ago in terms of world exploration. I think that's why people are realizing that things like Fallout 4, 76 or even ESO just don't quite have that spark. Bethesda's been one-upped by a few other big players and they've done the same shtick for so long it's starting to wear thin. Mind you, that's not to say there's nothing left there. I think Starfield will be pretty damn popular. No idea if it'll even approach Skyrim, but if it was good enough I could see it eclipsing it.

While I obviously can't know one way or another, I feel like that might be part of the reason they really wanted to do Starfield before ES6. Bring some new mechanics to the table like the ship stuff, change the scale of the game, that sort of thing.

I hope it works, but I ain't gonna apologize for wanting the combat to be good, everyone should want the combat to be good. Bethesda doesn't need this free pass anymore, they've been doing damn near identical combat systems for 15 or so odd years now, I hope they aim higher than that. And yes, the combat in Starfield footage looks kind of improved, kind of like Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, but that's a far cry from good.

And for what it's worth, I hope the other systems are good and plentiful too. Morrowind's combat sucked but crafting spells was fucking dope and fun as hell! Each game they chip away at the cool stuff they built before for a more "streamlined" experience and I think that dramatically hurts the games. Seriously, go engage with some of Morrowind's more wild systems. They make it feel unique and actually much different than other games.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Sucks to have Nvidia :p 

But in all seriousness, I will laugh when people use this as a reason why Starfield ends up having poor performance on PC...rather than the obvious lack of ability at Bethesda to optimize any of their games.

Yea, Jedi Survivor ran great on AMD cards! Oh, wait

14 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

L3Vrci4QhrJjJAnhmJTCm9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Some folk are mourning the perceived lack of DLSS support, some expecting more classic Bethesda launch jank, some fear Jedi: Survivor level issues, and some just straight out call for a...

cfa8f2ceb469dfbfff9c32c3f79f4617.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

AMD’s deal with Bethesda’s open world RPG has PC gamers worried

• Sicko 1

8 hours ago, stepee said:

They actually did add dlss2 to the mod for Jedi and it works on 3000 series cards! I know the Elden Ring mod also adds dlss2. I think they all might. I know REngine also has dlss2 mods.

I think puredark can add dlss to anything with fsr so as long as he is still doing these I would almost count on it!

So I may just need to wait a bit longer then. I guess luckily the game isn’t going to be a short 12 hour game where I’ll be done before a mod adds DLSS2. 

• True 1

9 hours ago, legend said:

It's possible to hate AMD exclusive partnerships that exclude supporting better technology while still liking other things AMD does. On the whole AMD is solid and I wish they actually would compete better with Nvidia in the high-end GPU (and AI) market.

I don't think anyone "likes" Nvidia or AMD, both are being heavily criticized for their pricing.  Nvidia's lower-tier GPUs are also routinely slammed for their lack of  VRAM.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm just bored with rinse cyle repeat of the same people on this board slamming a game for months before it comes out like they're fucking clairvoyant swammies or some shit only to watch those SAME people no life that same game for weeks on end once it comes out. It's cool to criticize but damn... the lame concern trolling here gets tired and it runs people away from the boards who would like to you know, discuss games objectively... I mean do you but damn, at least get a new schtick.  Any way carry on.

• Halal 2

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm just bored with rinse cyle repeat of the same people on this board slamming a game for months before it comes out like they're fucking clairvoyant swammies or some shit only to watch those SAME people no life that same game for weeks on end once it comes out. It's cool to criticize but damn... the lame concern trolling here gets tired and it runs people away from the boards who would like to you know, discuss games objectively... I mean do you but damn, at least get a new schtick.  Any way carry on.

The way people get so deeply personally offended about a product being criticized every single time is the shtick I'm bored of. :daydream:

People treating their personal hype like a delicate flower that needs protecting. If you're excited, be excited, but don't demand I play along. 

And yes, I can have very big complaints about games and still pick them up, enjoy the good parts and rant about the bad parts! I don't need 100% pure uncut hype to enjoy something, and part of the fun of it for me IS breaking the game down into parts I do and don't like. You know, like a discussion! On a video game forum!

I swear, sometimes I think folk legit just want the boards to be "Man this game is awesome!" "YEAH it's the best!" in an endless circle jerk for every game. I mean, I think Reddit or game specific Discord servers are good for that. 

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The way people get so deeply personally offended about a product being criticized every single time is the shtick I'm bored of. :daydream:

People treating their personal hype like a delicate flower that needs protecting. If you're excited, be excited, but don't demand I play along. 

And yes, I can have very big complaints about games and still pick them up, enjoy the good parts and rant about the bad parts! I don't need 100% pure uncut hype to enjoy something, and part of the fun of it for me IS breaking the game down into parts I do and don't like. You know, like a discussion! On a video game forum!

I swear, sometimes I think folk legit just want the boards to be "Man this game is awesome!" "YEAH it's the best!" in an endless circle jerk for every game. I mean, I think Reddit or game specific Discord servers are good for that. 

I think there's something to be said for a developer's room for growth though.  From Software used to be a ho hum developer.  I distinctly remember when people wrote off Demon's Souls pre-release as another Japanese game trying to unsuccessfully pander to Western audiences.

I haven't played enough Bethesda games to notice the jank here beyond the character faces.  But on the surface of things, Starfield looks quite different conceptually than everything else they've produced.  And the gunplay here looks much improved over Fallout 76 on the surface of things.

There's so much pressure on this game to release in a solid state, I can't wait to see where it succeeds or falls flat.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I completely agree. It get so annoying reading the same negative shit from the same people over and over again.

Xbob is way too critical on games and doesn't just post once about this stuff, it's post after post after post. 

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I completely agree. It get so annoying reading the same negative shit from the same people over and over again.

Xbob is way too critical on games and doesn't just post once about this stuff, it's post after post after post. 

Then use the block button, no need for anyone to be a bitchy little baby because their product isn't getting the illustrious praise it so clearly deserves, y'know?

• True 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Then use the block button, no need for anyone to be a bitchy little baby because their product isn't getting the illustrious praise it so clearly deserves, y'know?

I usually find your post funny and engaging but you get on rants sometimes and won't stop.

I'm far from being a bitchy little baby. You are just so fucking critical and then continue on and on about stuff. I'm not upset or anything and I think you are a terrific user here. I would never block you. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I usually find your post funny and engaging but you get on rants sometimes and won't stop.

I'm far from being a bitchy little baby. You are just so fucking critical and then continue on and on about stuff. I'm not upset or anything and I think you are a terrific user here. I would never block you. 

DaHDSaKX0AI0bTP.jpg

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm just bored with rinse cyle repeat of the same people on this board slamming a game for months before it comes out

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I also agree. I really get tired of reading negative shit like this:

On 6/26/2023 at 11:32 AM, best3444 said:

Will they have a mod to fix the disgusting looking NPC'S? As I'm playing FF16 I keep asking myself, how in the hell does Bethesda create such retarded looking characters. Cross eyed... 😆 

On 6/26/2023 at 10:15 AM, best3444 said:

You are spot on about combat and I don't see Starfield being any different which is disappointing. Maybe Bethesda surprises us and actually has hit detection and quality animations?

On 6/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, best3444 said:

Yep. Bethesda cannot make realistic looking characters. That was the first thing I noticed when they jumped into companions and I won't try to sleep with a polygonal monkey. 

Stop being picky with stupid shit. The character models look stunning PERIOD. 

• Shocked 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

On 6/27/2023 at 9:14 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

On 6/27/2023 at 9:31 AM, Mr.Vic20 said:

Thanks Todd. Looks like DLSS3 will also have to be a mod. 

On 6/27/2023 at 4:06 PM, Spork3245 said:

L3Vrci4QhrJjJAnhmJTCm9-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Some folk are mourning the perceived lack of DLSS support, some expecting more classic Bethesda launch jank, some fear Jedi: Survivor level issues, and some just straight out call for a boycott of AMD.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:18 PM, stepee said:

Lol I predicted AMD sponsored titles becoming a badge of poor performance would maybe start backfiring!

Update June 30, 2023: We've had a back and forth with representatives from AMD and so far AMD has chosen not to comment on whether Bethesda is completely free to add in support for other upscalers alongside FSR2 in light of its AMD partnership. And we have not had any response at all from Bethesda to a similar request for comment on the situation.

(From PC Gamer - Gamers Nexus had a similar exchange)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Update June 30, 2023: We've had a back and forth with representatives from AMD and so far AMD has chosen not to comment on whether Bethesda is completely free to add in support for other upscalers alongside FSR2 in light of its AMD partnership. And we have not had any response at all from Bethesda to a similar request for comment on the situation.

Whooooops, they were really hoping nobody would ask! Maybe should have realized that with what dlss3 brings, it’s going to piss people off way too much (and fsr has just had some bad showings recently)

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 11:39 AM, Spork3245 said:

Bethesda and AMD really said Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN