Greatest animated works of the last 40 years

I'm thinking primarily hand animated rather than CG, but whatever.

In no particular order:

Cowboy Bebop.

Samurai Champloo.

Princess Mononoke.

The Secret World of Arrietty.

The Legend of Korra.

The Animatrix.

Baccano!

South Park: bigger, longer, and uncut.

One punch man.

What say you? I thought of including dead leaves or ren and stimpy, but they get a little too far into the bizarre, even though I love both of them.

Arriety over Spirited Away or Totoro?

Spirited Away

My Neighbor Totoro

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Batman TAS (including Mask of the Phantasm)

Beauty and the Beast

Aladdin

Escaflowne

Animaniacs

Adventure Time

Gravity Falls

Perfect Blue

Obviously there's tons of stuff I could put on there, but I'm mostly just thinking of the entire package: animation, writing, influence, etc. Like Death Note is great, but it's hardly even animated for half the time.

44 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Demon Slayer and Castelvania have had amazing animation.

I still need to watch Castlevania

40 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Arriety over Spirited Away or Totoro?

I like Spirited Away a lot, but I like Arrietty more. I think it's peak animation, even if the story isn't as good. The mini cooking scene is just *chefs kiss*

@Bjomesphat mentioned Perfect Blue, but I actually think Millennium Actress is Satoshi Kon's best film. It's honestly one of the best examples of animation being a medium for story telling that's often impossible to tell live action. Even with today's tech, it would be a difficult story to tell convincingly.

How about Grave of the Fireflies? It's one of the best WW2 films ever made regardless of medium, full stop.

Into the Spiderverse is another film that only works in animation. It's also the best superhero movie ever made.

How about Persepolis? Who says all cookbook adaptations need to be based superhero comics?

How about another movie that only works as an animation? Coco is Pixar's best and most heartfelt film. Fight me.

I feel like Disney should be mentioned here...Moana. it's Disney's best princess musical going back all the way to 1937. Also, fight me.

@ort Stop motion also totally gets included here. The Wrong Trousers, Mary and Max, Kubo, or My Life as a Zucchini are all so good.

You can count whatever you want, I was just personally thinking of more 2D hand-animation. If I included CG and stop motion, there's no way I could get a list down to 10.

There's also a lot of shit I've never seen. I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, for example. Or there's a lot that I have seen, but I forgot about until someone mentioned it.

17 hours ago, TwinIon said:

If we're staying away from CG.

Your Name would top my list.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Grave of the Fireflies, The Wind Rises, and 5 Centimeters per Second all might make the list.

Evangelion would probably be my pick for a TV show.

Most of Makoto Shinkai's movies are really beautiful. Children Who Chase Lost Voices and The Place Promised in Our Early Days are also really good. Garden of Words is really good, but a very contained(?) experience compared to the others.

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

Most of Makoto Shinkai's movies are really beautiful. Children Who Chase Lost Voices and The Place Promised in Our Early Days are also really good. Garden of Words is really good, but a very contained(?) experience compared to the others.

Voices of a Distant Star is especially brilliant when you consider that he wrote, directed, animated, and voiced the entire thing alone in like his bedroom.