Official Thread of Soccer Greed - update: RIP in Peace, European Super League

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

I mean yeah, they are. You’re just looking at it through the paradigm of North American sports. 

Yes.  NA sports are so successful, IMHO, because the consolidate the talent on a few teams, and have those teams play each other.

Even in the premier league, once you get below the "big 6", their revenue is comparable to a top NHL team.  (Which some people don't even consider a major sport in NA.)

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Elite is always relative to the group you’re comparing. Every NFL team is elite in comparison to all football teams in America, but not all NFL team are elite when compared to the rest of the NFL.

You're right.

My fundamental point is that the ESL would have scheduled competitive games between comparable teams -- which should have resulted in a lot more great games for the fans to watch.  Instead we will continue to get more lopsided/boring games between good teams and ones that aren't all that competitive.  

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're right.

My fundamental point is that the ESL would have scheduled competitive games between comparable teams -- which should have resulted in a lot more great games for the fans to watch.  Instead we will continue to get more lopsided/boring games between good teams and ones that aren't all that competitive.  

But again, you are looking at it through a NA lens. Competing for Champions League spots - even for clubs that stand little chance of making it past the group stage - is a big deal. Promotion to the Premier League is an even bigger deal, and relegation keeps fans engaged even when their team isn’t competitive. To English football fans, the Championship playoffs are just as entertaining and riveting as the FA Cup final (maybe even more so). The way you are defining ‘competitive’ is not how most European fans do. 

58 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Elite is always relative to the group you’re comparing. Every NFL team is elite in comparison to all football teams in America, but not all NFL team are elite when compared to the rest of the NFL.

And every single one of them would run roughshod over the most dominant college team in history, Alabama.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

But again, you are looking at it through a NA lens. Competing for Champions League spots - even for clubs that stand little chance of making it past the group stage - is a big deal. Promotion to the Premier League is an even bigger deal, and relegation keeps fans engaged even when their team isn’t competitive. To English football fans, the Championship playoffs are just as entertaining and riveting as the FA Cup final (maybe even more so). The way you are defining ‘competitive’ is not how most European fans do. 

Yes.  There is a reason that the NA sports leagues are so successful.

I think your average Premier League game sees 400-500k/game TV audience-- let alone a Championship game.

A big Champions League Game can get 2 million plus IN THE US.

The fanbase for these teams is much bigger than the local viewers.  When I was in Brazil, the amount of people wearing Neymar jerseys, and who watched Barcelona games (at the time) was staggering.

The global fanbase, and I am one of them, may not share the same priorities as the local guys.

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I haven't really watched much of any sports over the last year. It just feels weird

I have absolutely no problem becoming a fair weather Jets fan after rooting for them my whole life and watching them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as many times as I have. The best way to watch the Jets is to not watch them.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There is a reason that the NA sports leagues are so successful.

The global fanbase, and I am one of them, may not share the same priorities as the local guys.

That is the thing though.. the global soccer fanbase is (to irresponsibly generalize) made up of casual fans..... folks whose attachment to a team is born of variable factors:

-cant escape World Cup coverage so you become a fan of big name player.. said big name player plays for a big club.. u follow

-someone is playing Fifa, you want to play.. u pick a team with high stats, through the game you learn players and build a superficial attachment..

-In my experiences a large group of fans cant name 5 teams in the major futbol leagues after they name of the main ones

The reason the NA leagues are so successful is because they are the top leagues of their sports (near top), as such the best talent is there..... So why not build an attachment to only the best teams??  Because here some of the lesser teams are the local teams... maybe dad (or brother/friend) took you to a game and you inherited the fandom... maybe you watch cause a local kid or someone you know made it big..,.. you have an attachment/investment to the team completely detached from whether the team is great or not...Well its the same for the lesser soccer clubs in the other leagues.

Its why im invested in MLS regardless of how “shit” the teams are, its the local league and I know the story of many of the clubs... plus I can actually go to a match instead of waiting for a big global team to come do a half hearted exhibition match

On 4/20/2021 at 12:20 PM, sblfilms said:

Only semi-on topic, but one of my great sporting memories was a few years back going to the US v Argentina Copa America Semi and watching Messi wreck the US live in the stadium. Never been to a soccer match in a stadium that hold 70k plus. Electric. Much more fun crowd than you find in the US typically!

ATLUTD is the most expensive ticket in town. They have the best crowds. It's always a blast, and they've set a bunch of records (with regards to attendance). I have a bunch of friends with season tickets that have just become resellers because the demand is so high. 

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

There's nothing like chants at a soccer match. That's why I honestly like the slightly smaller stadiums. You can still hear the vulgarity of the chants even on tv.

I've missed this chant so much the past few years.

33 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I just lost interest as I need a team to root for, plus just fuck the NFL for letting it happen. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

It worked out for me because I wasn't forced to watch a shitty team and you see more games on Sunday. Just root for a good game, whoever you want in the game that they are playing.

Out of curiosity is LA happier now that they have 2 NFL teams.. or do they still not give a damn.., hell i figured theyd be angrier now that blackouts are more common..

also.. mark me down as making it a goal to eventually attend a Atlanta United, Timbers, and Sounders home match... hopefully a rivalry match too.. I know Columbus and Cincy got a rivalry as well.. maybe once the new stadium opens

11 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

That is the thing though.. the global soccer fanbase is (to irresponsibly generalize) made up of casual fans..... folks whose attachment to a team is born of variable factors:

-cant escape World Cup coverage so you become a fan of big name player.. said big name player plays for a big club.. u follow

-someone is playing Fifa, you want to play.. u pick a team with high stats, through the game you learn players and build a superficial attachment..

-In my experiences a large group of fans cant name 5 teams in the major futbol leagues after they name of the main ones

The reason the NA leagues are so successful is because they are the top leagues of their sports (near top), as such the best talent is there..... So why not build an attachment to only the best teams??  Because here some of the lesser teams are the local teams... maybe dad (or brother/friend) took you to a game and you inherited the fandom... maybe you watch cause a local kid or someone you know made it big..,.. you have an attachment/investment to the team completely detached from whether the team is great or not...Well its the same for the lesser soccer clubs in the other leagues.

Its why im invested in MLS regardless of how “shit” the teams are, its the local league and I know the story of many of the clubs... plus I can actually go to a match instead of waiting for a big global team to come do a half hearted exhibition match

I don't have an issue with "casual" fans -- much of the fanbase of any sport is made up of casual fans.  Arguably, one of the keys to sporting success in European Football is creating a large casual fanbase, that allows you to generate more revenue, that allows you to invest in better players.

There are local teams in NA sports too.  There are literally hundreds of minor league baseball teams.  There are several minor league hockey leagues (and junior leagues) that have active local fan bases.  But their fan bases don't see a need to seem them play against the New York Yankees or the Toronto Maple Leafs to feel validated.

My fundamental disappointment with European Football, and why I don't watch more of it.  Is that the vast majority of the time, the "good teams" are playing vastly inferior teams.  This is true for much of the champions league as well -- in the group stage, most groups have 1or 2 competitive teams playing against a couple of teams that stand no chance.  I really don't understand the attraction to watching most Manchester City games -- unless you are a fan of that team.  The few I have watched involve them having 70% of the possession, while they swarm a vastly inferior team that turtles in their own end.  It's boring.  However, when they play Barcelona, Bayern, United or Real Madrid -- it's a different story.  

I will watch any 2 good NFL teams play against each other -- because I enjoy the game.  And there are usually several on any given weekend during the season.  That's not the case in the Premier League (or during the week during the Champion's League).

2 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Out of curiosity is LA happier now that they have 2 NFL teams.. or do they still not give a damn.., hell i figured theyd be angrier now that blackouts are more common..

I think most of them are happy with the Rams, no one goes to Chargers games (at least when they were in Carson) no one has gone to the new stadium yet.

5 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

also.. mark me down as making it a goal to eventually attend a Atlanta United, Timbers, and Sounders home match... hopefully a rivalry match too.. I know Columbus and Cincy got a rivalry as well.. maybe once the new stadium opens

I can say that when fans were in the Carson stadium, the Raiders/Chargers game looked/sounded like a Raiders home game.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I can say that when fans were in the Carson stadium, the Raiders/Chargers game looked/sounded like a Raiders home game.

It always seemed that the Raiders were the more popular team out of all those who lay claim to LA..

LA is where the out of market team is more popular than the home teams

• 2 weeks later...

Stolen from reddit.

[paul joyce] Six English clubs who signed up for European Super League will each have 5pc of revenue withheld for one season in Uefa competition and each will make a donation of 15m euros to grassroots initiatives. Any further attempt to breakaway will result in 100m euros fine

Edit: i gotta find the Real Madrid's president quotes. Legit Hitler in the fuher bunker.

6 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Stolen from reddit.

[paul joyce] Six English clubs who signed up for European Super League will each have 5pc of revenue withheld for one season in Uefa competition and each will make a donation of 15m euros to grassroots initiatives. Any further attempt to breakaway will result in 100m euros fine

Edit: i gotta find the Real Madrid's president quotes. Legit Hitler in the fuher bunker.

Good

• 1 month later...