Official Thread of Soccer Greed - update: RIP in Peace, European Super League

2987.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Uefa and the Premier League have condemned a new proposal for a European super league after details emerged that six English clubs have signed up

I hate this. I am abandoning United if this goes through. Posting this here because it would probably lead to a bigger discussion and because eat the rich.

So for those of us not in the loop, they essentially want to create an American style professional soccer league in Europe with all these rich teams?

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So for those of us not in the loop, they essentially want to create an American style professional soccer league in Europe with all these rich teams?

Sounds like it. Basically an all-star league for European clubs. It would basically like all of the big, rich clubs deciding to ditch all the peons. 

It's hard to say in this case. It could be a replacement for the Champion's League but an American style CL where the "top teams" are participating. So this year it looks like Arsenal, Liverpool, and Tottenham would miss out on Champion's league football next season. Them shitting the bed wouldn't matter.

Worse case scenario would be the teams abandoning their local leagues for a Super League that would replace La Liga, Seria A, Premier League, etc.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I wonder if the Bundesliga feels embarrassed that none of its clubs are involved :lol:

It's hard to say. The clubs are owned by the fans and I doubt fans will want this.

This could easily lead to Shanghai United or Los Angeles Hotspurs.

I hate capitialists. (Like the profile pic doesn't give it away.) 

The rage I feel has mos def made a few new bloodthirsters and bloodletters in the warp. 

Edit: The various FAs best eliminate these teams from the current season. I'm so mad i'd relegate them if not out right kick then out.

"European Super League: Bayern Munich and PSG not backing plans - The Athletic"

21wNxzwjkLkd_I6TUWL4AoJTN_1440x.993.jpg
THEATHLETIC.COM

Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are not backing the new European Super League proposal.A report in The Times said a number of top European clubs had...

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

This is... An interesting decision. So those 12 teams will only play each other? Will their home leagues kick them out?

Under their current plan, those 12 teams would play each other once a week.  However, their domestic football associations are threatening to ban them from playing in their domestic leagues.

37 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

They stay in the domestic league and cups and leave the boring Champions League for a different format. I’m fine with it. Fuck FIFA and UEFA. 

UEFA is probably our ally in this. It's never enough for capitalists. They will eventually make a 18-22 league and leave their domestic leagues if you don't kill this now. 

To me this is eerily similar to college conference realignment rumors of mega conferences made up of the top schools from the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC, and BIGXII. Down to the same talking points of “oh the NCAA will kick them out of their association!” Just like FIFA, UEFA and domestic leagues are talking about - but that’s the point for both of these scenarios. Consolidate power and make your own rules and your own media deals and revenue sharing structures. 

I still think this is shite, and I say it as a die hard City fan. 

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

To me this is eerily similar to college conference realignment rumors of mega conferences made up of the top schools from the SEC, ACC, B1G, PAC, and BIGXII. Down to the same talking points of “oh the NCAA will kick them out of their association!” Just like FIFA, UEFA and domestic leagues are talking about - but that’s the point for both of these scenarios. Consolidate power and make your own rules and your own media deals and revenue sharing structures. 

I still think this is shite, and I say it as a die hard City fan. 

That is an absolutely correct analogy!

The biggest disconnect for American sports fans is the concept of teams competing for multiple trophies. I didn't get it until Atlanta United won the MLS cup, and then participated in Copa, Gold Cup, and concacaf. Even then, while I understand the concept, I still don't understand where the leagues exist as far competition/prestige in Europe. This post may not make any sense.