12 Insanely Underrated 80'S Cartoons

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm posting this before I watch it but just the screengrabs alone were enough to bring out the 10 year old in me :p I don't thinl there's been a better decade for cartoons outside of the 80's. The 90's is close...

I posted this in the "what are you watching" thread but WB just released the entire Thundarr collection on Blu ray. I have been getting up on Saturday mornings with a bowl cereal to watch a few episodes.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I had a couple of MASK figures and vehicles. The cartoon also had one of the best opening theme songs too :lol:

If you are interested you can watch a lot of these on youtube , sometimes full sets.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

I posted this in the "what are you watching" thread but WB just released the entire Thundarr collection on Blu ray. I have been getting up on Saturday mornings with a bowl cereal to watch a few episodes.

I NEED that Bluray collection in my life... Thundarr was one of my FAVORITE cartoons when I was a kid. I just found out fairly recently that Jack Kirby had a hand in designing the characters :shock: There's a great Thundarr documentary on Youtube. I'll see I f I can find it.

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I NEED that Bluray collection in my life... Thundarr was one of my FAVORITE cartoons when I was a kid. I just found out fairly recently that Jack Kirby had a hand in designing the characters :shock: There's a great Thundarr documentary on Youtube. I'll see I f I can find it.

Is it the Lords of Light? 

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I recall that one. It’s old old.

I'm talking about The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse which was in the late '80s, so it's not old old, it's different from the original.

As for this topic, when I was a kid I never liked "realistic looking" cartoons, where a man was a man (so stuff like in the OP did not appeal to me). I liked cartoony ass shit, you know, anthropomorphized animals and such. :p

I still prefer the 90s... the Disney Afternoon by itself holds top tier shows and thats before batman, x-men are brought into the fight..

90s just had better storytelling with overarching story arcs in shows like Gargoyles, ExoSquad, Mighty Max, Pirates of Dark Water  etc... etc.

2000s was comparatively barren of great stuff.... DCAU continued with Justice League, Spectacular Spiderman is incredible as was Avatar...but not much else stuck out for me.

I will say the 80s had GOD-TIER themes for a good chunk of its cartoons..

COPS

SILVERHAWKS

Thundercats

Ulysses 31

Bionic Six

Johnny Quest

GI JOE

Beetlejuice (the animation is so manic, too bad they got a toned down version)

look at this thing:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm talking about The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse which was in the late '80s, so it's not old old, it's different from the original.

As for this topic, when I was a kid I never liked "realistic looking" cartoons, where a man was a man (so stuff like in the OP did not appeal to me). I liked cartoony ass shit, you know, anthropomorphized animals and such. :p

Ah, okay. I just recalled the character in general. I guess I did a bit of both. I watched Looney Toons, Ducktales, and the like. But probably my two favorite holdovers from my childhood are Rugrats and Hey Arnold. I still watch them on Hulu when I'm on the treadmill sometimes.

I'm thoroughly a child of the 90s.

4 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I still prefer the 90s... the Disney Afternoon by itself holds top tier shows and thats before batman, x-men are brought into the fight..

90s just had better storytelling with overarching story arcs in shows like Gargoyles, ExoSquad, Mighty Max, Pirates of Dark Water  etc... etc.

2000s was comparatively barren of great stuff.... DCAU continued with Justice League, Spectacular Spiderman is incredible as was Avatar...but not much else stuck out for me.

I will say the 80s had GOD-TIER themes for a good chunk of its cartoons..

COPS

SILVERHAWKS

Thundercats

Ulysses 31

Bionic Six

Johnny Quest

GI JOE

No list of 80's cartoon theme songs is complete without the Themes to these two underrated classics

GALAXY RANGERS

MIGHTY ORBOTS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Mighty Mouse was a cartoon my MOM watched as a kid :p granted she's really young compared to me but still...

Read my follow up. It was a cartoon from the '80s

EDIT: Here is an example to clear up the confusion

This one was a revival and John K was involved so it was like a precursor to Ren and Stimpy

I just remember having EVERYTHING He-Man.

I had castle castle gray skull, snake mountain, and basically every character in the series. My twin brother and I absolutely loved that back in the 80's. 

I never heard some of these cartoons from the 80's so this is a good thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I just remember having EVERYTHING He-Man.

I had castle castle gray skull, snake mountain, and basically every character in the series. My twin brother and I absolutely loved that back in the 80's. 

I never heard some of these cartoons from the 80's so this is a good thread.

This thread stirred up so much nostalgia in me that I HAD to watch this this morning after putting it off forever.

so good... it's on Netflix in case you were wondering.

s

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

hate that i talked 80s themes and forgot Heathcliff.. the show itself was hit or miss (heathcliff beating up everyone was always fun, the rest meh).... I sure as hell made sure I was there for opening and closing credits though

Heathcliff was awesome... and I was always a fan of RiffRaff :p

4 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

hate that i talked 80s themes and forgot Heathcliff.. the show itself was hit or miss (heathcliff beating up everyone was always fun, the rest meh).... I sure as hell made sure I was there for opening and closing credits though

Holy shit. Came in here to rep the fuck out of MASK but then was reminded of this. I used to LOVE this show! I saw all of it on reruns when we finally moved to West Germany from the commies. The theme song alone made me so happy just now awww haha

Edit: I HAD to look up my childhood version. Here it is, folks:

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

GALAXY RANGERS

YEEESSSS I would listen to that theme song now, unironically, I won't lie.

@Ghost_MH
fun fact about MASK toys. My mom once had to pick me up from this kid's house because I hit him in the head with the semi-truck MASK for not letting me play with it. 

robert de niro smoke GIF

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This thread stirred up so much nostalgia in me that I HAD to watch this this morning after putting it off forever.

so good... it's on Netflix in case you were wondering.

s

That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Brings back amazing memories.