Question for the Soulsborne fam

Joe

Is it ok to start with Bloodborne as your first entry into this series? The DS remake looks awesome, but I'm not really looking to drop $60 bucks on it at the moment when I can play BB for free because of PS Plus. Will I be missing anything huge if I start with BB and play the remake later? I also have Demon's Souls on PS3, which I could play, but seems like a waste when the remake looks so damn good.

• Joe changed the title to Question for the Soulsborne fam
26 minutes ago, Joe said:

Is it ok to start with Bloodborne as your first entry into this series? The DS remake looks awesome, but I'm not really looking to drop $60 bucks on it at the moment when I can play BB for free because of PS Plus. Will I be missing anything huge if I start with BB and play the remake later? I also have Demon's Souls on PS3, which I could play, but seems like a waste when the remake looks so damn good.

BB was my first. No regrets. 

But as Chris said, the gameplay is different -- it's faster and more offensive, rather than defensive (although parry is required in BB to really git gud). Demon's Souls was wonderful as well and of course is a great starting point considering it was the first. In some ways, it's best to start because bosses eventually became the biggest challenge of the game. In Demon's Souls, many bosses look intimidating but can be cheesed, and it seems as if it's done purposefully, but the level itself is more of the challenge and is more like old school Mario -- die and start at the beginning.

In Bloodborne, there are more checkpoints and shortcuts, which makes the levels "easier." However, the bosses are some of the best I've played and can be very challenging. In my opinion, they're fun as hell and challenging, so I never felt frustrated dying so much. So if you do BB first, just know that when you go to Demon's Souls, don't expect the same level of challenge from the bosses.

• Thanks 1

You will miss nothing. Many basic mechanics / rules are generally the same but there’s nothing about it that makes it a bad starting point. 

I recently had a good friend who really only plays AAA popcorn type games, and he was able to beat it. Just takes a little patience and trusting that you’re getting better, and eventually enough will click that you’ll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Same as everyone else said from me as well. Pick whichever interests you the most and hopefully the From magic hooks you. I don't even think any of them are particularly better suited for a first game, just whatever you end up picking up. Well, besides DS2 because no.

If you go Bloodborne first, my big-ass tip to you would be to use your blood vials (healing items) intelligently. The different From games have different approaches to healing and BB uses consumables which a lot of players end up spamming. Then they have to go farm for them and get pissed off because the game is 'wasting their time'.

In Souls games you're a random peasant trying your best to save the world and in BB you're a hunter who came to destroy, that's how I'd sum up the difference. Both are fucking amazing but that difference reflects in their combat approaches. BB is like the aggressive, gory Action version of Souls.

• Thanks 1

Actually quick question about Bloodborne; it's my brother's copy of the game, and he bought the Old Hunters DLC for it. Now I'll have to reinstall the game onto our PS4, but if I do would I have access to the DLC? I know for games I've downloaded, like TLOUPII, he can play those on his account because it's installed on the PS4, and things like that aren't account locked, but does that apply to DLC as well? Would I have to install the game while logged in on his account to get the DLC to also re-install? 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Actually quick question about Bloodborne; it's my brother's copy of the game, and he bought the Old Hunters DLC for it. Now I'll have to reinstall the game onto our PS4, but if I do would I have access to the DLC? I know for games I've downloaded, like TLOUPII, he can play those on his account because it's installed on the PS4, and things like that aren't account locked, but does that apply to DLC as well? Would I have to install the game while logged in on his account to get the DLC to also re-install? 

I'm not 100% sure, but if he downloaded the DLC separately on his account (likely), it won't be on the disc version you use on your account so you'd either have to buy the DLC separately for your account to access it, or play the game on his account. If you do play signed into his account, the DLC should be there when you fire up the disc unless he uninstalled the game and its DLC - then you'd have to re-download the DLC under his account. If he got the DLC under his account when it was free on PS Plus (a possibility) and he doesn't have PS Plus anymore, you'd have to get PS Plus yet again on his account to re-download it or just buy the DLC separately altogether. If he did get it once upon a time through PS Plus and he still has PS Plus, you should be able to just re-download it if you're on his account. On your account it's a total redo. 

I hope all of that made sense. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, Joe said:

Is it ok to start with Bloodborne as your first entry into this series? The DS remake looks awesome, but I'm not really looking to drop $70 bucks on it at the moment when I can play BB for free because of PS Plus. Will I be missing anything huge if I start with BB and play the remake later? I also have Demon's Souls on PS3, which I could play, but seems like a waste when the remake looks so damn good.

fixed!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not 100% sure, but if he downloaded the DLC separately on his account (likely), it won't be on the disc version you use on your account so you'd either have to buy the DLC separately for your account to access it, or play the game on his account. If you do play signed into his account, the DLC should be there when you fire up the disc unless he uninstalled the game and its DLC - then you'd have to re-download the DLC under his account. If he got the DLC under his account when it was free on PS Plus (a possibility) and he doesn't have PS Plus anymore, you'd have to get PS Plus yet again on his account to re-download it or just buy the DLC separately altogether. If he did get it once upon a time through PS Plus and he still has PS Plus, you should be able to just re-download it if you're on his account. On your account it's a total redo. 

I hope all of that made sense. 

Well with the first Dark Souls on PS3 he bought the DLC, and then when I got around to playing it since the DLC is downloaded to the PS3 I had access to it without having to buy it myself. With the changes on PS4 games being installed directly to the HDD, I wonder if I would have access to DLC he bought. The game has since been uninstalled to make room for other games, so when I put the disc in it'll have to reinstall again, but I wonder if I just sign into his account, and put the disc in to install if the DLC will automatically install since he's already bought it, and if not and I just go to PSN to install it, will I still be able to play it when I sign in to my account? When I do start playing I'll have to check if I have access to the new area. I'm the only one that has PS+ so while he has access to online play being on the same system, I don't think he would have access to discounts (unless that is also a thing). 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Well with the first Dark Souls on PS3 he bought the DLC, and then when I got around to playing it since the DLC is downloaded to the PS3 I had access to it without having to buy it myself. With the changes on PS4 games being installed directly to the HDD, I wonder if I would have access to DLC he bought. The game has since been uninstalled to make room for other games, so when I put the disc in it'll have to reinstall again, but I wonder if I just sign into his account, and put the disc in to install if the DLC will automatically install since he's already bought it, and if not and I just go to PSN to install it, will I still be able to play it when I sign in to my account? When I do start playing I'll have to check if I have access to the new area. I'm the only one that has PS+ so while he has access to online play being on the same system, I don't think he would have access to discounts (unless that is also a thing). 

I'm not an expert, but when others have signed into their accounts on my PS4 and then later I sign into my account on that same PS4, I do not have access to their stuff and they do not have access to my stuff unless I'm signed into their account and vice versa. So if he has the DLC, you will be able to install it on to your PS4, but only if you are signed into his account on your PS4. Even if you re-download and re-install the DLC under his account and then switch over to your account on that same PS4, it'll show up but not be accessible. Downloaded items are attached to accounts, not PS4's, whether the stuff is installed on that PS4 or not, has been my experience.

I would say if you're afraid you will be turned off by Soulsborne games, than BB is a good starting point. It's a more streamlined Souls experience and it's something you just want to keep playing because the setting is so unique. I think it's easier to be turned off initially by the other games than BB.

With that said, I do think there is value in starting at the beginning, as the progression of the gameplay mechanics and QOL features is better suited playing in order of release. Basically if BB is your starting point, the other games might feel more rough around the edges and clunkier. Personally, I would say play Dark Souls first. It's the one that really put From on the map, and I still think it's the best game they've made. However, I'm not sure I would have appreciated it as much had I played some of the later games that had a chance to iterate more on the mechanics.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not an expert, but when others have signed into their accounts on my PS4 and then later I sign into my account on that same PS4, I do not have access to their stuff and they do not have access to my stuff unless I'm signed into their account and vice versa. So if he has the DLC, you will be able to install it on to your PS4, but only if you are signed into his account on your PS4. Even if you re-download and re-install the DLC under his account and then switch over to your account on that same PS4, it'll show up but not be accessible. Downloaded items are attached to accounts, not PS4's, whether the stuff is installed on that PS4 or not, has been my experience.

Not necessarily for everything though. As I mentioned I bought The Last of Us Part II off of PSN, and he was able to play it. That's why I'm wondering if they same will happen with DLC or not.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Not necessarily for everything though. As I mentioned I bought The Last of Us Part II off of PSN, and he was able to play it. That's why I'm wondering if they same will happen with DLC or not.

Huh, that's very strange - you downloaded it under your account but he could sign into his account and play your downloaded copy/version of the game? Well, I did say I'm no expert! I've not been able to do that with anything when it's come up before, so I guess you will have to just try it out if it's a case by case basis kind of thing.

7 hours ago, Brick said:

Yes I will. Incidentally how do I check? I'm assuming after a certain point I can travel to the DLC area, so what's it called, and when am I able to do so I can check? 

The Old Hunters and it's a warp point you can access at a specific location. The Hunter's Dream will have a notification in it when it's accessible as far as I recall. I can spoil it for you if you want.

It really is very-late-game content though difficulty wise. Outside of the deepest chalice dungeons, it has the most brutal, and some of the coolest, bosses in the game.