Pokémon OT - Gotta Catch 'Em All

Pikachu

31 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Ehhhh...the only thing Dragon Quest has added is no random battles and a being able to pointlessly run around in battle. Nothing else has changed other than updates to the graphics.

I love both it and Pokemon, but they're both the top examples of games that don't play any differently than they did thirty years ago. The biggest and only real gameplay change either of them has introduced is ditching random battles.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Another thing to consider with the Dragon Quest comparison is that we are, what, 8-9 generations into Pokémon? In that time, there have only been 4 main, numbered DQ games, and one of them was an MMO. When DQ XI came out, it felt kinda fresh despite being a really standard JRPG, since the last directly comparable entry in the series (VIII) had come out over a decade earlier. 

Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders doe.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Dragon Quest Heroes and Dragon Quest Builders doe.

I’m not talking about spin-offs. When people talk about Pokémon being the same game over and over, I assume they’re talking about the main games, not Mystery Dungeon and Pinball. 

6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m not talking about spin-offs. When people talk about Pokémon being the same game over and over, I assume they’re talking about the main games, not Mystery Dungeon and Pinball. 

Exactly this. If we're including spinoffs that means you take into account like Pokemon Cafe Mix or Detective Pikachu or Pokken Tournament.

10 hours ago, Chris- said:

I’ve never played a Dragon Quest game, so no. And I fail to see how it is weird to hope that a franchise has changed over literal decades. 

Wow, never played a single Dragon Quest game?! That's a bigger issue than talking about Pokémon! But more to the point; if a franchise is solid, its fanbase is happy, why change anything? IT'S STILL GOOD! 

10 hours ago, Brick said:

God of War PS4 was a massive change to the franchise. 

I still need to get around to playing that. But if it's different than the mindless button-mashing mixed with annoying QTE sequences and brain-dead "puzzle solving" then it was probably for the best. God of War got away with some kinda basic gameplay due to its admittedly great presentation and spectacle. 

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You can make something feel the same while changing the formula. Mortal Kombat games for instance are changed a lot per version (for better or worse) though the whole idea of the game is the same.

Pokemon is basically a reskin of the same game every time. The game could have a ton of quality of life improvements or gameplay innovations but it stays the same for the most part.

Reskin?!? That's way too reductive. This isn't the same as the difference between Street Fighter II Turbo and SUPER Street Fighter II. Each Pokémon takes place in different regions, with different world maps, different Pokémon, different gameplay gimmicks, etc. "Reskin" isn't even close to how one describes the franchise! YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES.

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm not a fucking gorilla, I can't do the same thing over and over for 30 years and not get sick of it. Here's a long-running franchise that hasn't remained the same: Super fucking Mario.

EVOLVE GODDAMMIT.

SOUNDS EXACTLY WHAT A FUCKING GORILLA WOULD SAY I DON'T TRUST YOU ONE BIT.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, GameDadGrant said:

Reskin?!? That's way too reductive. This isn't the same as the difference between Street Fighter II Turbo and SUPER Street Fighter II. Each Pokémon takes place in different regions, with different world maps, different Pokémon, different gameplay gimmicks, etc. "Reskin" isn't even close to how one describes the franchise! YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES.

And then you run into Lass Belle instead of Lass Theresa, very different!

Playstation/Xbox/PC gamers: “Pokémon is so lame, it’s just the exact same game/reskin over and over! Nothing changes!”

Also Playstation/Xbox/PC gamers: “Dude, I can’t wait for this year’s Call of Duty. It’s gonna be totally awesome and not the exact same fucking shit we’ve been playing for like, two decades straight! Yeah!” 

*OR*

“I can’t wait to buy Grand Theft Auto V later this year! For the third time! It’s totally not the EXACT SAME GAME THAT CAME OUT IN 2013.” 

lulz :p 

• 2 months later...

Diamond was the first Pokemon game i had actually beat the main game since Red, so i'm definitely getting this, and i will probably get Arceus too. I look forward to it, but i think i might end up getting the OLED Switch, just because of the longer battery life, since i'm still using an OG Switch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Game Information

Game Title: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Nov 19, 2021)

Trailer:

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 78 average - 56% recommended

Critic Reviews

God is a Geek - Adam Cook - 9 / 10

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond is like a warm hug, offering nothing but smiles and enjoyment throughout. Long term fans will find the quality of life changes make it even easier, but nonetheless, it's an otherwise faithful remake and a joy from start to finish.

TheSixthAxis - Jason Coles - 9 / 10

I've had an absolute blast with Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, and I know there's plenty more for me to see thanks to their sheer size. With changes that lean mostly toward quality of life improvements, this is a firm reminder that Pokémon games can be extraordinary and one of the most enjoyable remakes I've played in a long time.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 8.8 / 10

From a certain point of view, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond is a remake that doesn't like to take too many risks, improving on the original experience without making any major changes. Yet this is also its greatest strength, especially for those who never played the original chapters on DS. The result is an authentic recreation of a historical title, polished and cleaned up from outdated game design elements.

GamePro - Linda Sprenger - German - 86 / 100

Loving remake of an RPG classic with a timelessly motivating gameplay, but which lacks significant innovations.

Game Informer - John Carson - 8.5 / 10

Catching, training, and trading Pokémon remains a blast, and Sinnoh is a great region to explore

NintendoWorldReport - Jordan Rudek - 8.5 / 10

I'm certainly not in a hurry to leave it any time soon; that's for sure. However, with Pokémon Legends on the horizon, this one-two punch of Pokémon titles could be a winning way to close out one year and welcome in another, with a blast from the past followed by something we haven't really seen before. That's a Jigglepuff double-slap I can get behind.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 8.5 / 10

While it feels like Game Freak have been trying to find their footing with Pokémon over the last few years, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are a confident showing by ILCA that proves the series is far from dead. The classic formula is unchanged here, and still holds up, which will no doubt please long-time fans and newcomers alike. Smart new additions that feel like natural additions to the base game, coupled with a visual overhaul that captures the feel of the originals make for an experience that's as nostalgic and comforting, as it is fresh and reinvigorating for the franchise.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4 / 5 stars

These gripes aside – and I realise that I’ve griped a lot in this review – Pokémon Pearl remains an excellent game, and the remake is of a very high quality. I’ve been able to reunite with Piplup, relive a very fondly-remembered adventure, and while there have been some tweaks that I’ve been less than amused by, on balance the developers have retained the qualities that made that game such a fondly remembered one.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5 stars

The original DS Diamond and Pearl were great back in the day, and 15 years later this new coat of paint makes them just as entertaining. The improvements may not be as drastic as some may have hoped, but what's here is a solid Pokémon adventure regardless.

Enternity.gr - Panagiotis Petropoulos - Greek - 7.5 / 10

Those who have never played Pokémon Diamond and Pearl again have the best opportunity to do so now, in the most refined version they could ever have.

COGconnected - James Paley - 72 / 100

Brilliant Pearl feels well-crafted yet confused, like they pursued several disparate visions at once. If you can see past these strange decisions, you’ll find a set of pretty respectable Pokemon games.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 3.5 / 5 stars

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl play it safe, faithfully remaking two classic DS games -- at times to a fault.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 7 / 10

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are comfortably nostalgic, with just enough modern tweaks to smooth over the rough edges.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 7 / 10

There are some much-needed quality of life improvements, and the games are well polished and run really smoothly on the Switch. It’s hard to see newer fans finding much to appreciate here, but those that have fond memories of the original Diamond and Pearl will have a lot to love about Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

TheGamer - Cian Maher - 3.5 / 5 stars

Its new features may not be truly revolutionary, and it may still have its fair share of repetitive and time-consuming moments, but it’s a faithful take on a well-loved game, and should certainly keep players busy until Pokémon Legends: Arceus arrives in January.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 6 / 10

A cheap-looking and unambitious remake of a generic Pokémon entry that seemed bereft of new ideas in 2006, let alone now.

Nintendo Life - Jordan Middler - 6 / 10

While some of the slower elements of the original games have been fixed, and The Grand Underground makes up for the comparatively weak Pokédex, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl's new art style and a few other stumbles make this pair of games a somewhat disappointing retread of Generation 4. They're also very clearly in the shadow of Pokemon Legends: Arceus, the upcoming open-world-like Pokemon game that has fans hoping it can take the series in exciting new directions beyond 20-year-old mechanics. If the remit of these remakes was to remain faithful to the original Gen 4 pair, we wish they'd also stuck to the pixel-art aesthetic. Aside from The Grand Underground – and the connectivity with the current games in the series – there's very little reason to play Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl over your original DS copies.

Ars Technica - Andrew Cunningham - Unscored

No doubt these will sell well regardless of what I say, but if you're not already dying to play these, I would save the $60 for Pokémon Legends: Arceus, due out in January.

GameXplain - GameXplain - Liked-a-lot

Video Review - Quote not available

Polygon - Ryan Gilliam - Unscored

I’ve spent years — the better part of a decade, since the Ruby and Sapphire remakes on 3DS — going through the motions with new Pokémon games, trying desperately to fight through superfluous features and recapture the magic of my childhood. But the Diamond and Pearl remakes’ simple, derivative, and basic formulas helped refocus my love for a franchise almost as old as I am.

Stevivor - Ben Salter - Unscored

I am enjoying my time back in the Sinnoh region, and especially as the game that got me back into Pokémon 14 years ago, it feels familiar. I have had less than a week to become reacquainted with Pokémon Diamond, and am still some time away from catching ‘em all, so check back in a few days for our final verdict on Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

Pretty mediocre reviews but whatever I wanna play a pokémon game and it looks fun to me.

I mean this is the type of scores you have to expect with a franchise that hasn’t changed or progressed in anyway for years. Especially a remake of one of the franchise games. Nothing wrong with having an itch to play it as long as you know what your $60 is going towards. 

14 hours ago, Biggie said:

I mean this is the type of scores you have to expect with a franchise that hasn’t changed or progressed in anyway for years. Especially a remake of one of the franchise games. Nothing wrong with having an itch to play it as long as you know what your $60 is going towards. 

lol yeah but since it’s not Game Freak making it I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t somehow broken or smtn this round, but it seems like it’s fine and I never played Pearl besides like 10 minutes so! The only thing is going back to random battles with no wild pokémon is a bummer (yeah it’s a remake but so was let’s go) but this underground whatever thing apparently has them.

Anyway ima download this tonight.

i guess I’m the only one who wanted this one besides I believe it’s @johnny I see playing but honestly in motion it’s really cute and nice looking. Everything is so sharp and clean and smooth it’s actually kind of a nice show off for the oled!

So much starly and piplup in the grass in these starting areas though. Wait, does anyone know if these had Psyduck? I fucking love that dude.

Mannnnn I’m sad though, I was thinking I’d still want to play the Sword/Shield expansions some day because honestly I loved that game, but I checked and my save is somehow on neither switch. :( I think mayyybe it was back on my old regular switch that I beat it right before I moved to the switch lite. 

It extra sucks because that’s twice now on the same platform for me, I lost my let’s go save when my first switch was stolen.

Don’t you get to use some of the pokemons between games? That sucks I’m losing out on that ability because they opt out of cloud save. :/

48 minutes ago, stepee said:

i guess I’m the only one who wanted this one besides I believe it’s @johnny I see playing but honestly in motion it’s really cute and nice looking. Everything is so sharp and clean and smooth it’s actually kind of a nice show off for the oled!

So much starly and piplup in the grass in these starting areas though. Wait, does anyone know if these had Psyduck? I fucking love that dude.

yep i’m playing pearl. the game does have psyduck. i think you need surf or a good rod to get him though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Weird, I wonder why?

Yeah, GF not making it is what I kept saying I wanted reviews even tho it’s pokémon. :P 

My guess would be ya they are hitting the point now where tech wise they are like midway between the HD gen and last gen right when development started taking forever and frequent sequels to series tanked for a lot of franchises. So they released S/S then two pretty large expansions to it the next year then almost the next year they still have the real follow up with Legends. I don’t think they would really be able to fit in another one.

Probably makes sense to do things like these with an outsourced studio especially if it’s mostly a 1:1 remake to pad in between. This team did a fantastic job imo too. The battles look soooo nice and the lighting is great in the overworld. They can probably keep the top down but remove the chibi next time and everyone would be happy.