Pokémon OT - Gotta Catch 'Em All

Pikachu

I hope all the mainline titles are non-Game Freak from now on. Game Freak sucks ass at making Pokemon games. They're competent in the extreme when it comes to the technical side of development, which has bled over into drastically affecting the quality of the main games. Like Sword and Shield running like the shit the entire time, but also not having all the Pokemon even after two damned expansion packs.

Not to mention they're absolutely terrified of trying anything interesting or new when it comes to actual combat. The few new things they do try, they quickly remove in the next game, constantly resetting us back to 0. It makes for a consistently disappointing series in everything except music.

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I've got the itch to play an old school Pokemon game.  Does this have gimmicks like Sword/Shield or is it a straight forward Pokemon game from like the DS era? @stepee

Yeah it’s pretty much a 1:1 remake of a ds pokémon so it’s pretty much exactly a ds era pokémon. There’s no open world area or mega evolutions. It’s gimmick I guess would be the expanded pokémon underground where you can find pokémon roaming and get treasure and stuff. There’s some multiplayer and end game stuff that idk anything about.

• Thanks 1

Finally got to the underground and can see the mon’s running around. That’s the worst part of it, going back to random battles in tall grass. I keep fighting fucking bidoofus over and over again and I don’t want to bother going in the grass if I don’t know who it’s going to be, so right now I have like 10 mon collected, and like three ones I kinda like.

Hoping that the expanded underground will soon ease this complaint and also should get my psyduck. Oh I do like how quick you get the bike in this one tho.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Finally got to the underground and can see the mon’s running around. That’s the worst part of it, going back to random battles in tall grass. I keep fighting fucking bidoofus over and over again and I don’t want to bother going in the grass if I don’t know who it’s going to be, so right now I have like 10 mon collected, and like three ones I kinda like.

Hoping that the expanded underground will soon ease this complaint and also should get my psyduck. Oh I do like how quick you get the bike in this one tho.

So is it more enjoyable than Sword/Shield?

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

So is it more enjoyable than Sword/Shield?

Well you are asking the wrong person since I really loved S/S! This is more more like let’s go but with real (random) battles I’d say. Which is still a lot of fun, but I liked the open areas, a real 3D view for exploration, and pokémon out in the wild. And I thought the mega evolutions were cool lol. Can’t comment story wise because the hook of where this one is going hasn’t really started yet, I’m assuming more will be happening.

18 hours ago, Biggie said:

Just downloaded this tonight. It is really good. 

Isnt it so nice on the oled! The lighting really shines and some of the flower fields especially are great. And it’s just nice having another new release native res and all that to really show it off.

For some reason Psyduck isn’t as yellow as I’d like him tho, but maybe that’s just me, I swear he was more yellow in let’s go, also I miss how freaking huge he looked following you in let’s go. Still rules having my dude around tho.

11 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I kinda want to fire up my old copy of pearl because I forgot who my final team was but I don't remember the elite 4 being super tough. 

Im not sure if that’s considered end game or not but I’ve heard the end game is expanded and more difficult in this remake (underground is the other expanded part with new biomes and stuff)

• Shocked 1

22 hours ago, Anathema- said:

I kinda want to fire up my old copy of pearl because I forgot who my final team was but I don't remember the elite 4 being super tough. 

i believe in this version they made the pokemon stronger with better held items and stats. the person that’s pretty strong is the champion Cynthia. a lot of her pokemon are fast and hit hard. if you grinded enough to have your pokemon at a high level i don’t think it’s that difficult. 

but what’s nice about it is i actually had to strategize and teach my pokemon certain moves i wanted them to use in my run. normally you can just go in blind and it’ll work out. 

17 minutes ago, johnny said:

but what’s nice about it is i actually had to strategize and teach my pokemon certain moves i wanted them to use in my run. normally you can just go in blind and it’ll work out. 

Oh I remember that now, looking up the champions on bulbapedia and making sure I could take them on. You're right though they definitely take something closer to real pokemon strategy. 

20 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Still a 1 in 4096 chance so nope!

I wish they would have given us the same charms we got in sword and shield to increase the shiny rate. If you take out that game, I've only seen one shiny in the wild and it was a mankey from FireRed smh 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really do hope it's good. I have concerns that it will end up feeling shallow in a lot of ways (lack of trainer battles, empty world, no gyms/Elite 4, etc.), even though it is important to remember that it is not a mainline "____ Version" game. I would like to see the systems that work in this to be brought over to the next mainline games. I skipped Sword/Shield because it didn't look like a big enough advancement for the series as I would have liked, and I've bought every generation before.

I'm going to wait for reviews and impressions from people here though.

I'm excited to try it out, just disappointed that they appear to have learned nothing of world design, artistry or style from their utter technical failure that was Sword/Shield. Whatever, they won't fix that problem until a member of their team looks at their products next to others (even on the Switch) and thinks "Wow we suck shit, we can do better" because it sure as shit ain't gonna be fueled by monetary reasons.