~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

My VTI purchases have NOT done what I wanted them to. HODL and diamond hands, though, right? 

Every time I've bought shares, the price has gone down, leading me to believe I could get some on sale. Well... that is then followed by another drop. 

It seems not great. 

Maybe my saving grace is that I'm in the fund for another 20 years?

Yes, enjoy it going down, you ain’t going for gainz today.

22 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I was trying to find this thread. I bailed on webull. Just gonna stock to sports betting. On a pretty good run and Idon't care enough about stocks to bother keeping on top of them

I'm getting my tendies from credit card and bank bonuses right now. I've already netted $16k this year, mostly tax-free. 

1 hour ago, Ricofoley said:

Seemingly any company that you could put in the broad category of "disruptor" has been completely eating shit lately. You could add Uber to this list, which is very close to all-time lows.

I think there is some real good value effectively playing a basket of these tech stocks. 

18 hours ago, CayceG said:

My VTI purchases have NOT done what I wanted them to. HODL and diamond hands, though, right? 

Every time I've bought shares, the price has gone down, leading me to believe I could get some on sale. Well... that is then followed by another drop. 

It seems not great. 

Maybe my saving grace is that I'm in the fund for another 20 years?

It will likely seem really great 10-20 years from now, probably much sooner than that. I'm going to keep buying all the way down. It has never failed me to continue buying when the market is selling off like this. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~
1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Promos are usually like $300 tops, how many fucking credit cards did you open?!?

Capital One business card with a $3500 bonus 

Amex Business Platinum with a 150k membership rewards bonus (worth $1650 after cashing out)

Amex Platinum with a 500k MR bonus (worth $5500 after cashing out) 

Also Amex employee card offers where you can get 20k MR or $200 and at one point you could open 99 in a go. I opened like 40 and you can still sometimes get batches of 5.

So the number of new accounts has actually been relatively low. Just a few super juicy offers, plus the employee card craziness. 

On 5/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, Jason said:

Capital One business card with a $3500 bonus 

Amex Business Platinum with a 150k membership rewards bonus (worth $1650 after cashing out)

Amex Platinum with a 500k MR bonus (worth $5500 after cashing out) 

Also Amex employee card offers where you can get 20k MR or $200 and at one point you could open 99 in a go. I opened like 40 and you can still sometimes get batches of 5.

So the number of new accounts has actually been relatively low. Just a few super juicy offers, plus the employee card craziness. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Crypto bros: Cryrpto is decentralized currency, this is its strength and its raison d’etre

Also crypto bros, without a sense of irony: Why is crypto crashing not tanking the economy like the subprime mortgage crisis?

I love the delusion 

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Nothing illegal about taking copious advantage of bonus offers. :santasun:

I’m not a lawyer but opening 40 employee cards for employees who do not exist - for a company that doesn’t exist - seems like it’s probably illegal at some point!

28 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’m not a lawyer but opening 40 employee cards for employees who do not exist - for a company that doesn’t exist - seems like it’s probably illegal at some point!

They don't stop you from opening employee cards in your own name, so... 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

They don't stop you from opening employee cards in your own name, so... 

Spoiler

What do I need to apply for an American Express Small Business Card?
As an individual authorized to make financial decisions on behalf of your company, you will need to supply the following information about the business:
Your company's email address
Your company's legal business name
The business name you would like to appear on the card. It may be different from your company's legal name
Your company's business address and phone number
Type of industry your business is engaged in (for example: construction, manufacturing, consulting)
Company structure(for example: limited liability company, corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship)
Number of years your company has been in business
Number of employees
Annual business revenue
Federal Tax ID, or Social Security number (if sole proprietorship)

I don't know, man! I mean if you answered all those questions honestly and they gave you a Business Platinum (and let you open 40 employee cards) then more power to you, but if you didn't answer those questions honestly...

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

I actually opened a small business card with Chase when I was doing contract work. But nothing like that wtf.

I have a Chase small business card and don't have anything close to a small business. I got it because I wanted to replace my furnace and wanted a nice points bonus from the initial spending and I already have Sapphire Reserve. 

There certainly are civil liability issues with breaking terms of agreement so as to fraudulently collect financial rewards, but most people are probably safe from getting pursued over it.

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

There certainly are civil liability issues with breaking terms of agreement so as to fraudulently collect financial rewards, but most people are probably safe from getting pursued over it.

Basically when I was talking to people about credit card options they were using the excuse of selling anything on eBay in the past year and saying you run a sole proprietorship. I've had the card for a few years at this point.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

Basically when I was talking to people about credit card options they were using the excuse of selling anything on eBay in the past year and saying you run a sole proprietorship. I've had the card for a few years at this point.

The applications usually instruct you to put in projected revenue if it's a new business. If they tried to come after you for it, how are they going to prove you didn't, say, get busy at your day job and so wound up not doing the eBay selling or whatever you put down? People put all kinds of clearly personal charges on business cards, if the banks cared you'd have heard of mass crackdowns by now.

The more realistic risk is that Amex decides that maybe it wasn't actually such a great idea to be handing out 20k MR for $2k spend per employee card on up to 99 employee cards and then they claw back the points; Amex does have a history of changing their mind about things months after the fact.  Like with the Dell credit on the Biz Plat (now $200 every six months, then $100 every six months), one time there was a 10% Dell credit Amex offer and they processed things by first applying the 10% discount and then crediting the $100, and then like six months later they decided they fucked up and that it should have been the $100 credit first and then 10% off the remainder. I was one of the people who got a bill for like a dollar on a closed card because of that.

Buuut that's why you get a Charles Schwab Platinum to cash out the points. Then if they claw back the points and send my points balance over a million into the negative then I just close all my membership rewards cards and take a break from Amex for a while.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

There are some fairly large differences between certain behaviors described in this thread and others :p 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The applications usually instruct you to put in projected revenue if it's a new business. If they tried to come after you for it, how are they going to prove you didn't, say, get busy at your day job and so wound up not doing the eBay selling or whatever you put down? People put all kinds of clearly personal charges on business cards, if the banks cared you'd have heard of mass crackdowns by now.

The more realistic risk is that Amex decides that maybe it wasn't actually such a great idea to be handing out 20k MR for $2k spend per employee card on up to 99 employee cards and then they claw back the points; Amex does have a history of changing their mind about things months after the fact.  Like with the Dell credit on the Biz Plat (now $200 every six months, then $100 every six months), one time there was a 10% Dell credit Amex offer and they processed things by first applying the 10% discount and then crediting the $100, and then like six months later they decided they fucked up and that it should have been the $100 credit first and then 10% off the remainder. I was one of the people who got a bill for like a dollar on a closed card because of that.

Buuut that's why you get a Charles Schwab Platinum to cash out the points. Then if they claw back the points and send my points balance over a million into the negative then I just close all my membership rewards cards and take a break from Amex for a while.

Chase did not ask anything like that on the application. Just some sort of ID that you could put your SSN in for a sole proprietorship.