~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's really possible that JIT Inventory will also mortally wounded.

It will vary from product to product and company to company but jit will always be the goal because of the savings/cost of maintaining stock, even with the risk of not fulfilling orders at this time while you have the well known cover and excuse of supply chain issues. There’s also a very significant business expenditure to move from jit. where I used to work, you simply can’t maintain finished product inventory! You’d lose your ass on returns, to say nothing of just not having enough space for it all. 

• Halal 1

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It will vary from product to product and company to company but jit will always be the goal because of the savings/cost of maintaining stock, even with the risk of not fulfilling orders at this time while you have the well known cover and excuse of supply chain issues. There’s also a very significant business expenditure to move from jit. where I used to work, you simply can’t maintain finished product inventory! You’d lose your ass on returns, to say nothing of just not having enough space for it all. 

Oh sure - I'm just engaging in wishful thinking :p

There's little doubt that the "theoretical" revenue loss risk of not being to fulfill an order (during "normal" business activity periods) is significantly outweighed by the "actual" costs associated with maintaining a warehousing system.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Y’all check the market???

For my retirement accounts I'm fine with stuff just staying down as my retirement contributions go in so they're worth more later and that can all play out passively, but yeah for my brokerage account to see if there's anything I think I should get in on while it's down.

Can we all agree to hold anyone that buys investment shares from this company in a great deal of scorn?

8ae9405c2f6b0969c3d211f126df17ce
FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

The billionaire founder of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) Jeff Bezos just made his second investment in the real estate investment platform Arrived Homes during the company's $25 million Series...

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Can we all agree to hold anyone that buys investment shares from this company in a great deal of scorn?

FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

The billionaire founder of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) Jeff Bezos just made his second investment in the real estate investment platform...

This is what NIMBYs fight to enable. 

• True 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:13 PM, Jason said:

I mean yes it's basically legal bank robbery, why do you think I'm okay with it. :p

Just signed up for two new cards that will net me $1776 when everything's said and done. :flag:

On 5/20/2022 at 7:14 PM, Ghost_MH said:

FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

The billionaire founder of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) Jeff Bezos just made his second investment in the real estate investment platform Arrived Homes during the company's $25 million...

I can't even put into words how much I hate this

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I can't even put into words how much I hate this

That's where I stand. There's a city not too far from where I live that a full quarter of all houses sold there just year were sold to investment firms and companies like this one.

If homes are an investment, you know what the best way to keep them safe would be? To not rent them and keep tenants from wearing the place down while also driving up prices of it and other homes in the area thanks to the artificial scarcity.

I was talking about this subject with a buddy of mine earlier in the week about the prices of homes in Maine. Maine has a huge number of empty homes, the most in the nation. In spite of this, prices are sky high seven in tiny towns with nothing for miles.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

Maine has a huge number of empty homes

Where are the empty homes? There are tons of empty homes in the US...if you include the ones in the middle of nowhere and the ones that should have been condemned.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Where are the empty homes? There are tons of empty homes in the US...if you include the ones in the middle of nowhere and the ones that should have been condemned.

In Maine, it ranges. A lot of the empty homes were houses that were bought up as second or vacation homes when prices were low and then held onto as prices kept rising. Maine progressives did try to pass a bill recently to combat this; at least when it comes to homes meant for year-round habitation. All state Republicans plus a bunch of conservative Dems killed the bill in the House, though.

WWW.PRESSHERALD.COM

The bill would have allowed municipalities to assess fees on vacant year-round homes, as long as the revenue was used to increase affordable housing.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Mfs will do anything but build more got-dang housing

While it's the obvious solution, this country won't bite. Housing is seen as an investment so between homeowners, landlords, and the investment firms going in on housing there probably isn't the political will to allow more houses to be built thus lowering the value existing home owners have.

25 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

While it's the obvious solution, this country won't bite. Housing is seen as an investment so between homeowners, landlords, and the investment firms going in on housing there probably isn't the political will to allow more houses to be built thus lowering the value existing home owners have.

It’s showing cracks. There’s a lot of places that are making housing easier to build but there’s still a lot of work to be done. I harass my city council rep about it when she mindlessly tweets about affordable housing. 

side note, this is my politics:

look at all that big beautiful housing 

• Like 1

So my friend will work with professionals when time is needed but was just curious what peoples thoughts are on annuities. Just looking at the charles schwab calculator to start getting some baseline ideas if they decide they wanted to just retire and focus on not being too miserable in pain, it looks pretty decent the monthly amounts but they don’t know the catches and if that monthly amount is then just taxed like an income check or what.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Y’all check the market???

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I feel like I have to. Keep trying to find the right bottom to go in heavily on some plays. The thing is, I feel like this bear market will be here all year so not in any rush to "find a bottom." 

Meanwhile, my boomer parents have so much extra money that they are not only gifting us 3 kids 5k a year for a retirement fund, but they will be gifting each of us 45k over 3 years to an account for each of us to buy/renovate/maintain our houses.  All because now they are forced to withdraw from their retirement.  I'm thankful that my parents are so well off, and are aware that with the same education/jobs that we will make significantly less in our lifetimes, but I just can't fathom the boomers out there that can't wrap their heads around their kids not being as successful is mostly a result of when they were born and not any change in "not wanting it enough".

I love the stories about people earning a quarter mil + who have something like $5K a year to flex after expenses because when they post their budget there’s always shit like, “I spend $15K a year going to Burning Man and doing molly at Ibiza, have a personal shopper, and pay to garage 3 luxury cars in Manhattan, all of which I think is reasonable and essential, how can I afford to save?”

EDIT - to level set, the median household income on the Upper East Side is $127K, if you’re making double that and can’t save, it’s completely on you.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love the stories about people earning a quarter mil + who have something like $5K a year to flex after expenses because when they post their budget there’s always shit like, “I spend $15K a year going to Burning Man and doing molly at Ibiza, have a personal shopper, and pay to garage 3 luxury cars in Manhattan, all of which I think is reasonable and essential, how can I afford to save?”

EDIT - to level set, the median household income on the Upper East Side is $127K, if you’re making double that and can’t save, it’s completely on you.

It’s annoying because people today having to live paycheck to paycheck and not being able to save IS a problem, just not for those people. 

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I appreciate that the edit was specifically to pre-address whatever Jason says. 

• Haha 3
  • True 1