~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

DJIA was down 920 points at one point and Morgan Stanley is calling for a pretty significant correction:

The market appears ready to take on a more defensive character as we experience a meaningful deceleration in earnings and economic growth,” Morgan Stanley chief U.S. equity strategist Mike Wilson said in a note Monday. “Market breadth has been deteriorating for months and is just another confirmation of the mid-cycle transition, in our view. It usually ends with a material (10-20%) index level correction.”

105611522-1544209220362rts29awp.jpg?v=15

11 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Who are all those guys on the floor with the jackets with patches and stuff? I've always wondered.

It's their flair. They're required to have at least six pieces of flair. His manager probably noticed that he's only wearing the minimum amount of flair required

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Who are all those guys on the floor with the jackets with patches and stuff? I've always wondered.

They're the actual traders for the NYSE.

ap_100507122842.jpg?quality=75&strip=all
QZ.COM

Execs acknowledge that the traders are useful for marketing, but say there's more to it than that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

They're the actual traders for the NYSE.

ap_100507122842.jpg?quality=75&strip=all
QZ.COM

Execs acknowledge that the traders are useful for marketing, but say there's more to it than that.

I just want to make note. Those people on the trade floor are some of the most insufferable asshats I've ever worked with. I did one year of IT support for the team from Deutsche Bank and it was horrible. Nothing like talking to some dudebros with wildly inflated egos freaking out because they're hung over and can't remember a password or something.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The only things (that I think are undervalued or will go way up in several years) that I’m actually investing in for the long term (not trading) right now are…

PDSB - oncology. They have a COVID vaccine that the MCIT is funding as well, but I really don’t give a crap about that. Their Versamune platform/tech could change the world. If their COVID vaccine is successful, it should double as a treatment due to how Versamune works. In 2-3 years, this will be a monster. I bought a bunch in the $4s after speaking to their IR head to clarify some stuff.

https://www.pdsbiotech.com/images/MOA_Video.mp4 

WISH - I just purchased this on Friday morning after the underwhelming ER made it tank to the $6s from overreaction. There was a lot of Twitter-hype on this that’s now dead, so now it’s worth looking at, IMO.

VFF - been swinging this and trading it around a core. Unlike SNDL and TLRY, they’re a legit company that’s been buying up tons of land in Texas, currently growing hemp but are ready to switch to weed overnight once federal legislation happens (or it’s legalized in Texas). 

These are investments, not trades.

OCGN should run hard again once they announce submission of BLA. This is a trade and if you can’t watch it or get alerts then don’t bother with it. I’m not holding beyond BLA submission except for maybe 100-200 lotto shares, though. If it gets approved, it’s going get nutty, if denied, it’s going back to $2s.

Manage your own risk, do your own research, figure out what price to enter at. Don’t listen to me, or other people - only listen to yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Corporate incentives for hourly workers are such a sham.  If we don't reach near our max incentive, based on arbitrary goals set by the company, management will demean us with comments such as,

"You guys are not doing so good."

"You should be doing better."

"You're costing yourselves money in your pocket for not being more productive."

Yet they want to consider that pay a "bonus" to us but don't consider the production we have to do a "bonus" for the company.

1634669782681-gettyimages-1308735920.jpe
WWW.VICE.COM

The agency's report dismissed many of the key theories and narratives surrounding how and why GameStop's stock rallied.

On Monday, the Securities and Exchange Commission finally released its report on the frenzy of retail trader activity surrounding GameStop's short squeeze and the skyrocketing value of various "meme stocks" and found that the episode “tested the capacity and resiliency of our securities markets in a way that few could have anticipated.”

“At the same time, the trading in meme stocks during this time highlighted an important feature of United States securities markets in the 21st century: broad participation,” the report noted. “Underneath the memes are actual companies, with employees, customers, and plans to invest in the future. Those who bought GameStop became co-owners of a company through a system of mutual trust and participation that sustains our economy. People may disagree about the prospects of GameStop and the other meme stocks, but those disagreements are what should lead to price discovery rather than disruptions.”

The SEC report does not mention any alleged collusion and adds that while some hedge funds were hurt by the frenzy, others profited handsomely because they were long on GameStop or because they joined the rally for profit. “Staff believes that hedge funds broadly were not significantly affected by investments in GME and other meme stocks,” the report reads.

The report also goes so far as to question whether a short squeeze had any significant effect. A short squeeze is, typically, when short sellers betting against a company’s success are forced to buy shares to cover their short positions. This may force other short sellers to exit their short, pushing the price even higher. The idea with GME was to buoy the stock’s price, forcing short sellers to lose their bets and cover their shorts. 

"The underlying motivation of such buy volume cannot be determined; perhaps it was motivated by the desire to maintain a short squeeze," the SEC writes. "Whether driven by a desire to squeeze short sellers and thus to profit from the resultant rise in price, or by belief in the fundamentals of Gamestop, it was the positive sentiment, not the buying-to-cover, that sustained the weeks-long price appreciation of Gamestop stock."

The alternative explanation of a “gamma squeeze,” which retail traders insisted was another driver of Gamestop’s price momentum, was also dismissed in the report. This is when a market maker that sells a call option—a contract where you buy a stock at a set price in the future in anticipation of an increase—must now buy the stock as it rises to hedge potential losses, thus adding more upward pressure.

The SEC argued this didn’t occur in GameStop’s case, because gamma squeezes are driven by a huge increase in call option purchases. Instead, put option purchases—the opposite of call options, featuring a contract to sell a stock at a set price in anticipation of a decrease—drastically increased from $58.5 million on January 21 to $563.4 million on January 22, and then to $2.4 billion on January 27.

Even the notion that there was an unusual amount of short selling going on with the GameStop stock is debunked in the SEC report, one of the key explanations offered by message board traders as to why they launched their war against hedge funds. Naked shorts are positions taken without borrowing the stock itself, in other words an uncovered short position. The SEC found that "GME did not experience persistent fails to deliver at individual clearing member level" suggesting there were not a significant amount of naked shorts as online communities insisted.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to ~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~ Update: SEC issues final report on the "Gamestop Frenzy"
16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

106914844-1626917120897-gettyimages-5974
WWW.CNBC.COM

News of the deal brought Tesla's stock to a record high, one trading day after shares hit a record high.

Yeah I saw, TSLA was already spiking last week before this was known too.

11 hours ago, 69los said:

Anybody still in on Ocugen? I checked their reddit and it shot up today because EU and approval is expected soon.

Today is the decision-day by the WHO.

It actually is meaningless for OCGN as they only have rights to the US and Canada for Covaxin, but expect it to run a bit today due to the market not caring about nuance.

33 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Today is the decision-day by the WHO.

It actually is meaningless for OCGN as they only have rights to the US and Canada for Covaxin, but expect it to run a bit today due to the market not caring about nuance.

:feelsrona:

You still doing the daily stonk grind?