~* The official thread of stonks, tendies, safe, sound and very real professional financial advice *~

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

Things are popping right now so everything seems easy. In the end buy and hold companies you believe in and index funds are how your average investor makes money.

Penny stocks/options and all that are fun for gambling but just recognize it for what it is. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

This seems impossible, long term. Don’t something like 95%+ of day traders end up getting washed? It’s difficult to accept that the failure rate is solely due to chance or a lack of starting capital.

I think one of the big issues is...people gotta eat. They can't skip out on a week/month where the market is sliding every day. It's obviously easier to get gaiiiinz in a bull situation :p I think you also reaaaalllly have to fight against most human instincts and desires which is a monumental task!

@KomushaVFF is breaking $20 this week unless there's a push back on US weed legalization for some insane reason. It hit ~$18.50 twice today, once during market and now in AH. In January it couldn't break $12.85 and bounced from $11-12.50 most of the month/ In just 10 days it's shot up an insane amount. This could be the next big weed stock.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It will be interesting to see how the market changes from retail investors, if they remain this active and engaged. 

They’re al going to get waxed, there’s no way the engagement lasts. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think one of the big issues is...people gotta eat. They can't skip out on a week/month where the market is sliding every day. It's obviously easier to get gaiiiinz in a bull situation :p I think you also reaaaalllly have to fight against most human instincts and desires which is a monumental task!

Perhaps I’m wrong but I didn’t think that professional day traders have a much better success rate. My understanding was that most people in the game who end up making money make most of it from engagements, consulting, etc. This is all what I’ve read but I have no memory of the sources... what do I know. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

But most day traders are going to lose their shirts pretty quickly if they get in too heavy.

I look at it like this: If you just let your money sit in a savings account, it won't even keep up with the rate of inflation. If you have excess money after your bills/spending money, you should dive into investment. You may lose all your money, but you'll lose it all anyway if you do nothing. Might as well go for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I look at it like this: If you just let your money sit in a savings account, it won't even keep up with the rate of inflation. If you have excess money after your bills/spending money, you should dive into investment. You may lose all your money, but you'll lose it all anyway if you do nothing. Might as well go for it.

I will reiterate again that buying index funds is the smartest move for 90% of working people. Invest automatically (every paycheque) and only check it every 5 years. Day trading is way too dangerous for the majority of people.

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Another big issue is that if you lose 90% then you need to grow 900% to get back to where you were. So losses hurt far more than gains help.

The thing is, this is why stop-loss is so important: I really can’t stress that enough. I’m not saying it’s easy or anything, it really, REALLY, isn’t. But if you’re down 90% instantly, you really f’d up badly. Knowing when to take a profit is also important for day traders: sell half at +15-20% and monitor the rest. None of this guarantees success, by any means, of course.

Mornin’ fam, Spork’s dog here: keep an eye on OLB. They just announced a plan to offer crypto currency payment options on its platform and securepay gateways which will allow merchants to seamlessly offer crypto as payment.

Back to sleep:

0-FD3-C479-A093-4-A66-A3-DE-AA98-DC8682- 

*not financial advice, I’m a dog with typing skills. Woof. Bark. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So... what you’re saying is... I should dump my entire savings account into all 8 of those while they’re small?! :o 

I am saying the market is experiencing unusual activity. Is it a signal of a bubble? Is it a result from retail investors? I have no clue. Anyone actively trading in this market needs to be careful. 

Seriously, though - there’s two major possibilities incoming: market doesn’t drop significantly, but trade volume decreases because retail investors are back to work on location and can’t watch stocks all day, they enjoyed their time in and stay in but aren’t as active due to life... OR, they go “well, that was fun!” and disappear, maybe keeping their “forever holds” like AMD, TSLA, PINS, etc, and the volume recedes significantly with a big drop.

There’s a third, in that they all pull-out and a bubble bursts, hard.

Either way, stay frosty come mid-Spring, keep those stop losses and take profits when you can. This market will definitely erode, just no clue as to how quickly.

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I will reiterate again that buying index funds is the smartest move for 90% of working people. Invest automatically (every paycheque) and only check it every 5 years. Day trading is way too dangerous for the majority of people.

What index funds do you like?

51 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

What index funds do you like?

Well I'm in Canada so I can't comment on American funds. Unfortunately Canadians can't really buy index funds in the same way, we need to use simulated index funds inside mutual funds (usually with low management fees so it's very close). I've heard that the Vanguard index funds are great, though. Basically whatever the market does, you do. So at the end of the day if you manage to lose everything you have...then there are worse problems (collapse of society, etc). It's typically smart to also diversify a bit away from your home country. In my case, I am invested in 60% US index, 25% Canada, and 15% International. As an American, you'd probably want 60-75% US, and then the rest International of some sort. 

If you want more details on this strategy of basically guaranteed 5-7% returns annually forever (averaged out), google "Couch Potato Investing." I think it's by a Canadian, but the lessons hold the same anywhere. The idea is you can just throw money into index funds of some sort and then have lots of money in retirement. Need 20-40 years to make it worthwhile, of course, since the compound growth doubles your investments every 10 years or so.

23 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

I think I should sell my 2 shares of SNDL at 111% gain?

I would at the very least take out your initial investment. If you lose anything after that it will be your profits only. If you are happy with your returns then completely cash out. The market is really hard to judge right now. 

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's typically smart to also diversify a bit away from your home country. In my case, I am invested in 60% US index, 25% Canada, and 15% International. As an American, you'd probably want 60-75% US, and then the rest International of some sort. 

Only if you lack faith in the American people

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Glad I decided to eat my tendies and run on OCGN and OGEN!

This is a lesson that I need to learn. I'm hoping that we see an OCGN bounce soon. I can't complain too much because I'm up about 100% still but the saying "Bulls and Bears get rich, pigs get slaughtered" has me feeling quite pig-like.

I’m curious if $4-5 ends up as the bottom for AMC. If they were a $2.5 stock before all the shenanigans, I think that range makes sense given some short term debt retirement and long term liquidity help that has come in the last 6 weeks.

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Market correct day :dancing2:

Correction morning? Everything I’m rolling through on my watchlist dipped in the first hour and is headed back up now. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

1 hour ago, Chollowa said:

This is a lesson that I need to learn. I'm hoping that we see an OCGN bounce soon. I can't complain too much because I'm up about 100% still but the saying "Bulls and Bears get rich, pigs get slaughtered" has me feeling quite pig-like.

Always sell some to get your OG investment back, ride the rest. OCGN is a long play, what happened on Monday was not normal and just an opportunity to get your investment back; it was never going to hold $15+ until the P3 results.

17 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@KomushaVFF is breaking $20 this week unless there's a push back on US weed legalization for some insane reason. It hit ~$18.50 twice today, once during market and now in AH. In January it couldn't break $12.85 and bounced from $11-12.50 most of the month/ In just 10 days it's shot up an insane amount. This could be the next big weed stock.

I don't know if the market is fully aware of this, but Democrats in the Senate cannot pass comprehensive cannabis descheduling that contains racial justice provisions. They will likely need to be able to break a Republican filibuster, and I doubt enough Republicans are going to sign up for something like that MORE Act.

It's more likely that we will get cannabis banking legislation and something like the STATES Act. Enough Republicans will likely get them over 60 for these more modest reforms. Democrats will make a push for the big bill, but I would be shocked if it passed.

Best case scenario that would work out would be a comprehensive criminal justice bill that they tack on descheduling to that has enough other stuff in it that Republicans like. The other best case scenario would be a very simple deschedule bill with nothing else attached to it.

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I don't know if the market is fully aware of this, but Democrats in the Senate cannot pass comprehensive cannabis descheduling that contains racial justice provisions. They will likely need to be able to break a Republican filibuster, and I doubt enough Republicans are going to sign up for something like that MORE Act.

It's more likely that we will get cannabis banking legislation and something like the STATES Act. Enough Republicans will likely get them over 60 for these more modest reforms. Democrats will make a push for the big bill, but I would be shocked if it passed.

Best case scenario that would work out would be a comprehensive criminal justice bill that they tack on descheduling to that has enough other stuff in it that Republicans like. The other best case scenario would be a very simple deschedule bill with nothing else attached to it.

Or we destroy the filibuster :skull:

• Thanks 1